Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vista Blue with White Stripes
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took advantage of the weather and ran down to my dads house. We didn't get much done because there were some other things to take care of, but I did get the hood struts installed and the Radiator cover on (after modifying the air intake slightly).

Two excellent improvements I was excited to get on the car.

IMG_1866.JPG

I was extremely excited to see how well the stripes lined up too since I bought this cover two years ago from a guy in NJ.

But then I had to take the time to give it a hand wash once I got home as well since I couldn't park it in the garage dirty.

IMG_1867.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
That JLT rad cover is a heck of a nice piece. Looks great!

Reactions: Andretti

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,758 Posts
The engine bays on these cars looks pretty good from the factory, but your updates made it even better.
Well done.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Love it Bryan! ?

Your car looks fantastic! I dig your raised white letters on your tires as well.

Reactions: Andretti

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it Bryan! ?

Your car looks fantastic! I dig your raised white letters on your tires as well.
Thanks all. That dang JTL cover has sat in a box for over 2 years in my basement...I'd pretty much figured I'd wasted my money buying it t because I'd never have the GT500 to put it on. I can't remember how soon after I had the car before the thought occured to me that I still had it, but at some point I was like...'WTF!, I need to go find it and put it on!'. So money NOT wasted and it looks really nice on the car? GREAT!

Yeah Goose, I had those same wheels and tires on my GT (with the added lettering) and really liked the look, but on the GT500 and the white stripe down the side, I think the letters tie in with the car that much more. Thanks for the compliment. I really couldn't be happier overall with the car too. Its just phenomenal. My only complaint might be the dang weather not cooperating and let me get it out a bit more to enjoy. That being said, I remind my self it IS January/February after all, so what do I really expect anyway?? LOL I know I'm looking forward to going to a few shows this spring with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put Ford Performance hood struts on my 2008 GT500 recently. They attach just like the redline hood struts. Did you notice any hood bulging after the install? There seems to be added pressure on the hood but I could be imagining it. BTW, that is a great looking radiator cover.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put Ford Performance hood struts on my 2008 GT500 recently. They attach just like the redline hood struts. Did you notice any hood bulging after the install? There seems to be added pressure on the hood but I could be imagining it. BTW, that is a great looking radiator cover.
No, I haven't noticed a bulge at all with the stock hood. I also used the same shocks on my Mustang GT (which had a TruFiber fiberglass hood on it) and I never saw anything on it either to make me think they had too much pressure.

That being said, for some reason those same shocks (on the GT) would let the hood drop and slam shut if much of a wind gust sprang up at all. I've never understood that since nothing of the sort has occurred on the much heavier stock hood on the GT500 though. /shrug

Can you take a pic and post it?

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,312 Posts
No, I haven't noticed a bulge at all with the stock hood. I also used the same shocks on my Mustang GT (which had a TruFiber fiberglass hood on it) and I never saw anything on it either to make me think they had too much pressure.

That being said, for some reason those same shocks (on the GT) would let the hood drop and slam shut if much of a wind gust sprang up at all. I've never understood that since nothing of the sort has occurred on the much heavier stock hood on the GT500 though. /shrug

Can you take a pic and post it?
Early on in my ownership of my 11, I saw a hood blow back on the roof of a 2009 Bullitt Mustang @ a car show. That was the last time I considered hood struts.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,515 Posts
...I did get the hood struts installed and the Radiator cover on (after modifying the air intake slightly).

Two excellent improvements I was excited to get on the car.
Both upgrades look great. (y)

No, I haven't noticed a bulge at all with the stock hood. I also used the same shocks on my Mustang GT (which had a TruFiber fiberglass hood on it) and I never saw anything on it either to make me think they had too much pressure... Can you take a pic and post it?
Between my son and me, we've run Redline Tuning Hood Struts on at least 5 vehicles (4 Tacomas and 1 Shelby) for over a decade. Multiple friends run them (or something similar) on their Shelbys. None of us has seen the problem described, but I understand it's possible if you run the wrong model struts, especially on a fiberglass (e.g., SuperSnake) hood.

I've also never seen this happen, though I could imagine a hood slamming shut if/when the struts become old/weak (i.e., barely able to hold the hood open) or the struts are improperly installed/secured (i.e., able to become detached from their mounting points). Like shock absorbers, struts wear out over time and have to be replaced to maintain proper functionality. They also require correct installation/mounting to prevent unexpected separation.

Early on in my ownership of my 11, I saw a hood blow back on the roof of a 2009 Bullitt Mustang @ a car show. That was the last time I considered hood struts.
I don't understand how hood struts were at fault for a "hood [blowing] back on the roof." If properly installed, struts limit the backward motion of the hood. Prop rods don't limit it at all. To be clear, I don't deny what you saw. I'd suggest, however, the struts weren't properly sized and/or installed if they allowed that much excess travel of the hood.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
I don't understand how hood struts were at fault for a "hood [blowing] back on the roof." If properly installed, struts limit the backward motion of the hood. Prop rods don't limit it at all. To be clear, I don't deny what you saw. I'd suggest, however, the struts weren't properly sized and/or installed if they allowed that much excess travel of the hood.
Yes! The chances of a hood blowing back are less with struts vs. a prop rod.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
761 Posts
Yes! The chances of a hood blowing back are less with struts vs. a prop rod.
If anything the struts, when installed properly, will keep the hood from blowing back. A prop rod will not.

Reactions: Norton and Goose17

·
Registered
761 Posts
Musta been one hell of a breeze. I would think hood struts prevent this from happening while prop rods do not.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,312 Posts
I see owners lowering their hoods on windy days all the time, my prop rod has never let me down, on either car..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
I see owners lowering their hoods on windy days all the time, my prop rod has never let me down, on either car..
Hoods with struts can blow DOWN in the wind. This is why owners with struts will lower their hoods on windy days at shows.

·
Registered
761 Posts
After doing some further investigation on my '09 hood prop rod and reading this from @1 Alibi 2 "my prop rod has never let me down, on either car.." he is absolutely correct. When the prop rod is in place my hood cannot, of course, be blown down by the wind but oddly enough it also cannot be blown backward by the wind either. Here are some pictures to explain:

End of prop rod

Prop rod in place with normal down force from hood

Prop rod in place with upward pressure placed on hood

Notice that the hook part of the prop rod has only moved slightly forward when upward pressure is applied to the hood and the hook is still firmly in place and doing it's job of preventing the hood from moving in either direction until the prop rod is lowered manually. This holds true on '07-'09 Shelbys. Not sure about '10+, but I would think they would be similar.

Yes, I know I should touch up my hood area where the prop rod contacts it.

Note: This is not an "experiment". These are once again FACTS.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
After doing some further investigation on my '09 hood prop rod and reading this from @1 Alibi 2 "my prop rod has never let me down, on either car.." he is absolutely correct. When the prop rod is in place my hood cannot, of course, be blown down by the wind but oddly enough it also cannot be blown backward by the wind either. Here are some pictures to explain:

End of prop rod
View attachment 215021

Prop rod in place with normal down force from hood
View attachment 215022

Prop rod in place with upward pressure placed on hood
View attachment 215023

Notice that the hook part of the prop rod has only moved slightly forward when upward pressure is applied to the hood and the hook is still firmly in place and doing it's job of preventing the hood from moving in either direction until the prop rod is lowered manually. This holds true on '07-'09 Shelbys. Not sure about '10+, but I would think they would be similar.

Yes, I know I should touch up my hood area where the prop rod contacts it.

Note: This is not an "experiment". These are once again FACTS.
Good pics Dave. We were just pointing out that hood struts prevent the hood from blowing backwards.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good pics Dave. We were just pointing out that hood struts prevent the hood from blowing backwards.
They do, but so does the prop rod. Seems like the struts are more for cosmetics than mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
696 Posts
The hood isn't going to blow backwards unless BOTH gas struts failed and literally came apart. In the up position, both struts are fully extended. As struts get old, they will lose pressure and at some point not hold the hood open. I can see an example of high winds closing a gas strut hood but the struts would need to be pretty old.

Reactions: Norton

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
They do, but so does the prop rod. Seems like the struts are more for cosmetics than mechanical advantage.
Yes, they do look much better, especially when presenting the engine bay at shows. It’s also nice not having the prop rod in the way when working in the engine bay. Lastly, struts make it easier to lift the hood... these aluminum hoods are pretty light, but some of my Mustangs have fiberglass hoods, which are heavier... struts are nice to assist in the lift. It was totally welcomed when Ford finally installed a factory strut on the 2020 GT500!

Reactions: BostonDave
1 - 20 of 25 Posts