Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just purchased a 2014 gt500 with 28k miles, all stock.
Im not very handy or patient to work on the gt500 so can anyone recommend a good shop in the san francisco bayarea that specializes in working on gt500.
Things i may need done in the future is clutch, oil separator, heat exchanger, and just regular maintenance.
Also how reliable are the gt500?
I have read the clutches need changing fairly often altho im not sure if my car has the original clutch but it doesnt seem to be slipping at this time.
Will this car go 100k miles with just oil changes and basic maintenance or is it considered a high maintenance vehicle if i use it as a weekend driver and occational light track day use.
How long does the stock clutch normally last under normal driving?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any members from the SF bayarea?

Im interested in meeting some local members from the forum to chat about and perhaps get together for a drive along the coast or nearby with our gt500.
Please pm or email me.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
So i just purchased a 2014 gt500 with 28k miles, all stock.
Im not very handy or patient to work on the gt500 so can anyone recommend a good shop in the san francisco bayarea that specializes in working on gt500.
Things i may need done in the future is clutch, oil separator, heat exchanger, and just regular maintenance.
Also how reliable are the gt500?
I have read the clutches need changing fairly often altho im not sure if my car has the original clutch but it doesnt seem to be slipping at this time.
Will this car go 100k miles with just oil changes and basic maintenance or is it considered a high maintenance vehicle if i use it as a weekend driver and occational light track day use.
How long does the stock clutch normally last under normal driving?

Welcome to the Forum and the GT500 world! These cars are pretty well built, so if not abused, they will easily make 100,000 with just regular maintenance. As you have heard, the clutch is the weak link in some of the earlier models, however, I believe your 2014 model year had most of the early problems worked out and is capable of a decent service life.....of course, that always depends on the driver!! You definitely have the most refined GT500 made, and with 662HP right out of the box, I think you'll enjoy it without many modifications. Have fun around here, and hopefully some local SF members will chime in soon!! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Be choosey, we just took over maintenance for a couple of race cars that were maintained by california shops that couldn't make 3 sessions in a row. 2 different people, 2 different shops so be careful.
FWIW these cars are about as dependable as an anvil with possibly the clutch as the only exception..maybe Ford figured that out by 2014.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. Im so glad to hear they are rock solid cars. Also i will be carefull as to what shops i take it too as the other member pointed out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can add the JLT Passenger side Oil Separator in under a minute. If the 2014 is stock the H/E with Fans can wait. I have a 2014. AED is a great shop, they are in the Sacramento area, I think. Very good Rep for Service and Dyno Tuning. Great car, good luck.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I am in east bay... Brentwood CA. I use a shop in San Ramon for things that I can't do myself: Advanced Auto & Electric. The owner, Daniel is a Mustang guy. PM me if you want to hook up. I have done a lot to the car myself....lcas / uca / panhard bar, pulley, cold air intake, throttle body etc. But clutches, short shifter, line lock etc is out of my league so I had to get Advanced Auto to do this for me.

Let me know bro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts