Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have crawled around and under both vehicles you mention many times. They are nothing alike. The IRS alone make the new 500 a different animal, which affects the rear structure.
Fox body Platform had IRS

By using your thought process, one could argue that ANY 2-door front engine unibody vehicles are the same.
Built by Ford in the last 50 years - Yes.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fox body Platform had IRS
You are grasping at straws. The Fox body platform was designed for a solid rear axle. The Mustang first saw it in 79. The 99 Cobra was the first to get IRS as did the 00R, 01 and Terminator Cobras. IRS then disappeared from the Mustang lineup only to return again in the all new 2015 S550 Mustang.

Get under a new GT500 as well as a 93 Cobra and see for yourself. They are worlds apart.

Reactions: Dcgtconv

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
42 Posts
I don’t think that car will ever be the same :confused:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Premium Member
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
226 Posts
I think it will turn out fine. Remember that they make income from this too. So even if they take a loss on what they'd get back if they sell it, they're getting the exposure for their channel which will pay off.

But enjoying watching the progress. I'm wondering why they haven't gotten the garage further along but it looks like they're doing most everything themselves or at least GC'ing much of it. I'm also surprised they haven't (or maybe they have) contacted Bend Pak, Direct Lift or others for some free lifts.

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,024 Posts
I think it will turn out fine. Remember that they make income from this too. So even if they take a loss on what they'd get back if they sell it, they're getting the exposure for their channel which will pay off.

But enjoying watching the progress. I'm wondering why they haven't gotten the garage further along but it looks like they're doing most everything themselves or at least GC'ing much of it. I'm also surprised they haven't (or maybe they have) contacted Bend Pak, Direct Lift or others for some free lifts.
Probably not a good time to ask for a free lift. I ordered one through direct Lift in the very beginning of January. I’m still waiting for the delivery. last time I checked it had slipped to the end of May. Not holding my breath.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,557 Posts
I think that it's fun to watch people rebuild wrecks, and I haven't watched many of Kondor's previous videos, but most of people in these videos and that I know personally do not, and probably can not, rebuild modern unibody cars properly. I'm comp sci and an EE, not a mechanical engineer, but I've spent enough time working for an OEM and working as a supplier to see how modern cars are designed and built to be highly skeptical of how someone without the correct resources (e.g. factory adhesives that are heat-cured in a body-shell oven) can deliver even a near-factory result.

I think what a lot of people overlook is that most cars are assembled using a variety of tools and processes that aren't easily reproduced, even at the dealer level, and I think are beyond the scope of capabilities for aftermarket garages. I'm not an expert in Mustang assembly, but I see that Ford is using adhesives in certain areas:

...and I question how diligent these "YouTube personalities" are when rebuilding cars with structural damage that requires, for example, sophisticated and temperamental adhesives.

Another consideration is that all modern high-volume vehicle platforms are designed in modelling systems, where critical assumptions are made about the properties of structural materials and I'm not sure that hammering, stretching and heating key structural components will result in a body that has the same energy absorption characteristics that it had when it left the factory.

"But Mike, you pompous bastard" I hear you say, "thousands of cars receive major body repair every year and I don't see these cars just falling apart as they pull out of people's driveways" to which I would have to concede. I would suggest that most of these were repaired by factory trained-and-equipped dealers and have good chance of being safe and serviceable for the rest of their normal service lives. That's not what we're talking about here - many of these "YouTube" shops are following a lowest-cost, easiest-to-do path and the results are dubious at best and potentially dangerous at worst.

TL;DR - I don't think that YouTubers can properly repair wrecked late-model cars.
You have some valid points and concerns. The way I drive, I would not be buying that car!

·
Premium Member
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
226 Posts
Probably not a good time to ask for a free lift. I ordered one through direct Lift in the very beginning of January. I’m still waiting for the delivery. last time I checked it had slipped to the end of May. Not holding my breath.
Ugh, I didn't know that. That really stinks!

Reactions: Rjstevens

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,024 Posts
Ugh, I didn't know that. That really stinks!
If I remember correctly, he said something like he had 700 left shipping in the next six months. However, that didn’t come anywhere near close to meeting the demand they have. I think it’s like lumber, ammo, and the majority of other things. Demand is high and supply is low thanks to COVID-19.Fortunately for me, It is just for personal use, so I can wait. I commented to the regional rep that being I’m just a personal individual buying one, I’m way down on the priority list. He assured me that was not the case. They’re sending them out by order dates.
I was really hoping to get it before Shelbyfest. I wanted to clean up the bottom of my car to make it look like yours!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This video shows some “how to” disassemble the interior.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts