Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, im around the DMV area....i have a 2012 gt500 (going thru some major issues now) but i just wanted to chat with you guys an learn more. Im thinking about a rebuild but dont have and ideal on where to start.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,242 Posts
Good evening everyone, im around the DMV area....i have a 2012 gt500 (going thru some major issues now) but i just wanted to chat with you guys an learn more. Im thinking about a rebuild but dont have and ideal on where to start.
Welcome to the forum DarkCobra83! Thanks for introducing yourself. Where is the “DMV area?” All I can think of is department of motor vehicles.

We have some members that have built/rebuilt engines that can give you advice: @Rjstevens and @Catmonkey come to mind.

We encourage everyone here to put their first names in their signatures to make this place more personable. Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,596 Posts
I know where to start. How much money do you have budgeted for this rebuild? Are you rebuilding to have a stronger engine, ore did you damage your current motor and looking to get it back on the road? These engines are not cheap to rebuild, and rebuilding it back to stock doesn't net you gains in strength, if that's what you need, but would be the cheapest route. Unless you intend to do some of the work yourself, you only need an engine builder. If you need someone to remove the engine, start looking for a reputable shop in your area. Ask for references if you have any doubts and actually call them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum DarkCobra83! Thanks for introducing yourself. Where is the “DMV area?” All I can think of is department of motor vehicles.

We have some members that have built/rebuilt engines that can give you advice: @Rjstevens and @Catmonkey come to mind.

We encourage everyone here to put their first names in their signatures to make this place more personable. Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.
HAHA DMV (D.C./southern Maryland/northern Virginia) area. Yea the issue im having when i upgraded my super charger to a mammoth pushing 714 to the wheel, but now i have a rod knock on the second piston along with 4 collapse lifters. I dont know if the super charger was too much on the stock stuff or what, so im just trying to get an ideal on what to do next.

Antuan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know where to start. How much money do you have budgeted for this rebuild? Are you rebuilding to have a stronger engine, ore did you damage your current motor and looking to get it back on the road? These engines are not cheap to rebuild, and rebuilding it back to stock doesn't net you gains in strength, if that's what you need, but would be the cheapest route. Unless you intend to do some of the work yourself, you only need an engine builder. If you need someone to remove the engine, start looking for a reputable shop in your area. Ask for references if you have any doubts and actually call them.
yeah, I want to keep on upgrading it so pistons/cams no point of rebuilding it back to stock if it cant handle it. i was looking around 12-15g range....i was aware of the cost,lol but to play, you gotta pay!...not sure if i did any damage to the motor thats what im stuck at, but i guess the first step is to take out the engine either rebuild it with advance parts or put in a short block.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,596 Posts
Explain why you think you have collapsed lifters. The lash adjusters are not like conventional lifters. Have you removed valve covers to come to that conclusion, or are you basing that on noise from the valvetrain? Have you run a compression test? You can drop the k-member and pull the pan to inspect the bottom end too.

You should be able to do a stout, built shortblock with a new block for that, but if a shop is doing the assembly of the long block and doing the install it may take more $ than that.

How many miles? I'm told you can have the cylinder's honed for new rings, but I'd probably have the block sleeved if it were me. With a rod knock, you probably need a new crankshaft. Rebuilding your block would be cheaper, but I'd get someone familiar with the mod motor to do the work. L&M, JDM and Livernois are all in your part of the country. I'd let my builder advise me on how best to handle the cylinders for new rings. Sleaving is cheaper than a new block and the stock pistons are forged, but getting new rings is problematic. You can also bore the sleeves out to 5.8 size, but will take new pistons. I'd upgrade to good rods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts