Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the weight looking things hanging off the control arm mount?
i know the gt's dont have them, anyone know?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most weighted objects on driveline and suspension components are there to dampen harmonic vibrations

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Both of them together weigh 10 pounds. I pulled them when I painted the axle - and out of curiosity I weighed them. I painted the weights and put them back on. I believe the Mustang GTs have them as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the last few gt500's i built i took them off, i was pretty sure the were dampers but was wondering why the gt's didnt?
and i know the gt's dont have them

·
Registered
373 Posts
we kind of touched on this a long time ago, just a bunch of speculation i think though?

I think someone brought up they thought it might be the gearing in our axle, and the harmonic vibrations.

Also think someone mentioned they aren't on the super snakes, aren't on the mustang's, and since changing gears I have removed mine and seen no difference, in anything, at any speed, over any obstacle.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
on the last few gt500's i built i took them off, i was pretty sure the were dampers but was wondering why the gt's didnt?
and i know the gt's dont have them
What do you mean when you say,

"...on the last few gt500s i built...."

just curious...

TD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly what it says, the last few i built i removed them with no ill effects what so ever. just wondering if anyone new there exact function, i figured it was to dampin but most anything that dampins on the drive line uses some sort of rubber.
and im a shop im just not a supporting vender so i didnt want to say anything about it.
i (we) had one of the first preproduction 05 mustangs in the county in early 04 from ford, so we've built afew over the years
thanks for the replys nick

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
most anything that dampins on the drive line uses some sort of rubber.
Nick, harmonics can be addressed in a myriad of ways. I work for a company that designs diesel engines. We had issues with oil pans cracking in the "corners" at certain loads/speeds due to harmonics. We'd hook up a strobe light, paint the pan a special color paint, then turn the lights out in the test cell, run the engine at the rated load/speed, and watch the pan "sway" back and forth about 1/2" at the bottom edge of the pan...the oil in the pan was sloshing it side to side! The solution was to change the nickel content of the metal used to form the oil pan. This had the effect of changing the frequency at which the metal "swayed", thus reducing cracking. Now perhaps you don't consider this "damping", but I do. We also experimented with different viscosity oils in the pan...that also reduced the cracking. Structural bracing can be used to damp vibrations as well.

Another example is the fluidamper harmonic balancer that's sold in the aftermarket...that is a case where viscous fluids are used.

No one has been able to find out for sure the use of those metal weights...but most of us agree they are used for damping harmonics. When people say they don't note any difference, that doesn't mean there is no difference...it just means they don't feel it. It's possible (but unlikely IMO) that removing them would cause some part (such as the rear end) to last fewer miles than if they were left installed.

I've left mine on my car for now...although at some point I may remove them.

Dave

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I figured Ford engineering put them in the GT500 for some reason and that reason must have justified the additional cost and logistics of adding them exclusively to the GT500. I'll leave them on for now.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I figured Ford engineering put them in the GT500 for some reason and that reason must have justified the additional cost and logistics of adding them exclusively to the GT500. I'll leave them on for now.
Exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Those weights are there solely to reduce axle noise.The axle noise is transmitted through the lower control arms and Ford engineers felt they could control it through the weights.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Those weights are there solely to reduce axle noise.The axle noise is transmitted through the lower control arms and Ford engineers felt they could control it through the weights.
Well, there we go. Mystery solved. Thanks, Fred.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I took mine off when I painted my axle and have no ill effects, that's another 10 pounds off and 500 or so to go:ugh:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Yeah, it's about time you gave us some useful info on our cars Fred! :crbaby:

:rofl:

(big thanks!)

·
Registered
373 Posts
woohoo!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well not exactly! Can we say that if we have modified our cars in LCA and UCA that this is no longer needed? I surely would like to know the answer to that question. Is it just noise or a bigger reason? Cause I would sure like to elimimate the additional wheight! Not to mention the rust factor.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well not exactly! Can we say that if we have modified our cars in LCA and UCA that this is no longer needed? I surely would like to know the answer to that question. Is it just noise or a bigger reason? Cause I would sure like to elimimate the additional wheight! Not to mention the rust factor.
With the traction issues I've got, I need all the weight in the back I can get. I was thinking about renting a fat guy to sit in the back seat. :cowtounge:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts