Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spider gears in the stock limited slip are done, busted, broke, sheared off. Call it what you want.

I was at the track, 1/8 mile track in Ohio called Pacemakers. I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. Stock Gears (3.31) Evo Stage II, Bassani 3" exhaust w/ no cats and race mufflers. Dyno 530hp & 513tq I had been working on launching the car. Tires 17psi 3k dump and the car boggs 4k and it just spins. My best time was [email protected] with 1.85 60ft.

I had 2 races that day. one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

In the morning race it was for Mid Ohio Ford Club members only. The guy in charge of the track said for the first round only he would give $20 to the best reaction time. I won it with a .5111 on a .500 tree. I also beat last years Club Champion. 7.711 on a 7.70 dial-in to his 6.39 on a 6.35 dial with a .5203 reaction time. Yeah for me. and ways I lost in the 3rd round to the guy that ended up winning the moring race. I ended up getting $10 more for making it to the quarter finals. (only 29 cars)

The Afternoon race: cost $30 (in which I had already won that much)

First round didn't turn out so well. I was sleeping at the starting line, had my worse light of the day (I'm embarrassed to say this) .662 reaction time and lost.
I decided to buy back in. Cost $15 I was line up against a slower car. He was dialed in at 11.24 and I was dialed in at 7.70 (it seems like forever sitting there) anyways I won!

Before the next round I was in the staging lanes and one of my buddies asked me when I was going to put a Spool (a fully locked differential) in my car because I was doing that 1 wheel thing. I said, "What, I am doing the ONE WHEEL PEEL, for real? YEP No, for real? Yes your passenger side is spinning and the Driver side is hoping. Usually when you are doing the "one wheel peel" the clutches in the limited slip are bad.

I thought no big deal I will look into it when I put my 4.10's in.

On to the race:

Now I am lined up with some Chick in a Very Clean Black 68 Camaro. She is Dialed in @ 8.12 and me 7.70 so she get to leave first. Boom she is gone and a split sec later I get the green I was holding the rpms at 3300 when I dumped the clutch and the car just barely rolled but I could hear a Bunch of clunking in the rearend. I put the car in neutral and set the E-brake and got out right at the starting line and looked under the car. didn't see anything. The guys at the starting line came up to me and said, "your still in, you won!" I guess the chick broke out (ran faster than her dial-in) I told them I was done the rearend if gone.

Here are the pics of the results:

the ring and pinion are fine

look at the gears laying in the oil.

don't know if this is going to work but here are some videos that were takin the same day before I broke. Sorry about the quality but they were taken with a camera phone. If they don't work on your computer you might need to download QuickTime 6.5 or higher. (I had to)

The sound of the SuperCharger on this first one is pretty cool. Turn your speakers up, You will here me before you see me.

this one is when I was racing that car dialed in at 11.24. watch him leave and watch how long I have to sit there.

This was just a time trail against a stock 2008 Mustang GT

After looking at all this and taking the time to read all of this. I want to know what type of limited slip Diff have you put in if you have changed yours. If not this could happen to you as well.

I made a bunch of phone calls (roush, saleen, jdm, babbit bearing, eaton, dts) I ended up going with a Detroit TrueTrac and axle girdle.
Let me know your thoughts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
After looking at all this and taking the time to read all of this. I want to know what type of limited slip Diff have you put in if you have changed yours. If not this could happen to you as well.

I made a bunch of phone calls (roush, saleen, jdm, babbit bearing, eaton, dts) I ended up going with a Detroit TrueTrac and axle girdle.
Let me know your thoughts[/QUOTE]

I can see with the HP you are making, that this would become an issue! I have in my other high HP cars run the Auburn PRO with 31 spline axles with good sucess + a TFS Girdle.

On my car, I experience a lot of hop just tooling around town. At the track this would be a HUGE disadvantage and lead to breaking a lot of driveline parts.... Even with the improved suspension from Steeda

Mike

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see with the HP you are making, that this would become an issue! I have in my other high HP cars run the Auburn PRO with 31 spline axles with good sucess + a TFS Girdle.

On my car, I experience a lot of hop just tooling around town. At the track this would be a HUGE disadvantage and lead to breaking a lot of driveline parts.... Even with the improved suspension from Steeda

Mike
mike thanks for your response. I almost went the same route. (because I found one on ebay for 274.99 + 20 for shipping) with the auburn Pro.

Until I started making phone calls. Most people told me to stay away from than one, said it wasn't much better than the Ford Racing Traclok, and that I would probably break it as well. When I heard that I started looking at the Eaton 31spline posi. I called Eaton and the guy there told me that the Detroit Truetrac was actually a stronger limited-slip. After hearing this I wanted to check with some other companies. and they all were pointing @ the Detroit Truetrac. Hopefully it will hold up.

JJ

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Nice story Croz thanks for sharing. sorry about the LS unit . There has been a rash of them at the track even the Detroit True track.

If you plan on doing a lot of drag racing with slicks or DR's then I would recomend you consider changing to a Ford 9".

I plan to only use the car for the street and open track days so I'm looking to upgrade to a good torsen type unit .

George.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice story Croz thanks for sharing. sorry about the LS unit . There has been a rash of them at the track even the Detroit True track.

If you plan on doing a lot of drag racing with slicks or DR's then I would recomend you consider changing to a Ford 9".

I plan to only use the car for the street and open track days so I'm looking to upgrade to a good torsen type unit .

George.
Hey thanks SVTbird. I am on here alot and read more than I post, but I try to help out with my own personal experiences. I have learned a lot about cars from little write ups like this.

I know that you are a true and dedicated road racer. In which I know nothing about but like to learn. Me on the other hand have been drag racing for about 10 years now. I know the best setup would to put a spool or locker in but I don't want to make this car all out DRAG. Thats why I am tring to stay with a limited slip.

What is a torsen type unit? must be some kinda of limited slip?

I talked to Jim Jr at JDM and he told me that a lot of the Lightning Trucks (set up for drag racing) are using the samething(the Detroit Truetrac) and they don't have any problems. They have 900+hp & 1000tq at the wheels. I told that they are using and automatic and the drive trerain is already preloaded vs. a manual and you are dumping the clutch. He agreeded with me but told me that he thought this was the best limited slip out there!

When are you going to teach me how to road race?

JJ

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hey thanks SVTbird. I am on here alot and read more than I post, but I try to help out with my own personal experiences. I have learned a lot about cars from little write ups like this.

I know that you are a true and dedicated road racer. In which I know nothing about but like to learn. Me on the other hand have been drag racing for about 10 years now. I know the best setup would to put a spool or locker in but I don't want to make this car all out DRAG. Thats why I am tring to stay with a limited slip.

I talked to Jim Jr at JDM and he told me that a lot of the Lightning Trucks (set up for drag racing) are using the samething(the Detroit Truetrac) and they don't have any problems. They have 900+hp & 1000tq at the wheels. I told that they are using and automatic and the drive trerain is already preloaded vs. a manual and you are dumping the clutch. He agreeded with me but told me that he thought this was the best limited slip out there!

When are you going to teach me how to road race?

JJ
Yes it is but a good one helps to get the wheel with the most traction to pull the car out of a turn more effectivly. Roush runs one on their "Track Pack "car. Like you I'm looking for the best one I can find for both street and track use.

I'm really just a novice on the track and go on open track events. I used to drag race but haven't done it since 2003. (01 lightning, 91 T-Bird)

Open track events are amazing, you really learn alot about yourself as a driver and get to drive the car the way it was designed for in a relatively safe environment ( within you personal limits, usually much below the car's limits). LOL

In 96 I attended a 4 day HP driving course at Bob Bondurants in AZ. It was a real eye opener and gave me a new appreciation for professional drivers.

It's real easy to get in trouble with this powerful car on a road course if you get too cocky out there.
Picture going 135+ ...aproaching a 180* turn which leads to a series of esses. Learning how to brake at that speed and enter a turn correctly so you can blast out the other side at max speed takes the correct technique and a lot of practice ,just like learning to launch a GT500 at Englishtown on DR's does.

George....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was told the weak link of our stock rearends is the spider gears which you proved. I did a Detroit True Trac when I change my gears because several people recommended it. So for I have been really happy with it, it has way more traction coming out of a corners than spinning sideways. As far as durabilty DynoJoe just broke a Moser axle w/ Detroit TT and the True Trac was fine which tells me its pretty stout!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was told the weak link of our stock rearends is the spider gears which you proved. I did a Detroit True Trac when I change my gears because several people recommended it. So for I have been really happy with it, it has way more traction coming out of a corners than spinning sideways. As far as durabilty DynoJoe just broke a Moser axle w/ Detroit TT and the True Trac was fine which tells me its pretty stout!
Is there any added noise with the Detriot True Track ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is there any added noise with the Detriot True Track ?
None, I also did a PST carbon shaft and have no additional drivetrain noise which I'm happy about

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured I will brake clutch, tranny or axle next!:flame:

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
That is one of the reasons I put an automatic trans in mine. A lot easier on the drivetrain. I would change to a Detroit Locker if available or a complete 9 inch or you may be seeing this problem again.

The spider gears in the stock limited slip are done, busted, broke, sheared off. Call it what you want.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is one of the reasons I put an automatic trans in mine. A lot easier on the drivetrain. I would change to a Detroit Locker if available or a complete 9 inch or you may be seeing this problem again.
What type of automatic transmission did you put in?

UPDATE:

I was doing the swap today and kinda got delayed. I was going to leave the stock 3.31 gears in the car because I am still having traction problems. I was mounting the stock ring gear to the new differential and I striped one of the threads on the ring gear. The reason it striped was beacuse of the lock-tite still on the treads from the factory bolts.

I all ready have a set of 4.10's! I wasn't going to put them in because of the traction problems. It looks like I will be putting the 4.10s in now since I ruined the 3.31's. I now have to get a set of ring bolts, and have the pinion bearing pressed off the old pinion and pressed back on the pinion of the 4.10. So as of tonight this project is on hold.:boohoo:

JJ

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the new bolts this morning from the ford dealer! They are installed. I am now trying to find a place to press the bearing off and back on! They I will be ready to put it back in. While I was out I stoped by Harbor Freight and picked up a Dial Indicator.

JJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts