Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am again, Mr.paticular.... Can anybody with a white GT500 look in the rear wheel well and give me a general description? Is there white paint...hazy white paint.....hazy white paint with areas of exposed black.....completely black. I know my question sounds absurd, but this is the best car I ever owned. It's just my OCD kicking in! Any feedback would be great.Thanx

2009 Shelby GT500 White/blue stripes

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have seen pictures of some cars where the painters get a little carried away and get overspray in the wheelwells.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is definitely white overspray in mine as well. I also have the black undercoating that you mentioned- up to about six inches from the bottom of the car- then fades into the white "overspray."

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Hi...I am OCD and own a white 2009 GT500...I am "visiting" my car tomorrow...lol...keep it at my brother's house..and will check the wheel wells...BUT I did notice that the black plastic trim on the bottom of the car had a couple of white spots....like overspray...and yeah..this is the nicest car I ever bought, too.....but like my Dad says...it's just a car.....ENJOY it....besides...every time you start it up and drive it...you're wearing it out anyway!!!..lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Car Was On The Showroom Floor Too, But It Doesn't Have Any Wax On It. I'm Going To Use Some Three Stage Wax And A Clay Bar On The Paint Soon. At Least I'm Not Alone With The Overspray In The Rear Wheel Wells. Hey Melissa ...let Me Know What You Find This Weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, mine has it too! In fact, when I first took delivery of the car, I wondered if it was a spot where they missed putting the black undercoating, or if it was white over spray (the car is Performance White). I had made a mental note to watch for any rust. On another related note, MAN, do these cars ever pick up a lot of road debris and rocks etc, and churn them up in the rear wheel wells. You can really hear it, but I haven't observed any damage back there yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think alot of the noise is caused by the lack of sound dampening on this car. They sell sound damping pre-molded for this car in Shelby Performance Parts- Charlie

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Hey...yeah..mine is performance white....and sure as hell there is WHITE in my wheel wells...but it doesn't look like overspray.....and yeah...lots of noise from road debris...which makes me cringe...but no damage...YET!!....lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
You wanna go into OCD overload??

Forget the wheel wells, pay close attention to the front and rear fascias.... notice something odd?

Look closer...

Yup, your car is Performance White, and your fascias are turning ..... yellow.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Wait!!!...don't tell me yours have yellowed???...There's a guy in my neighborhood with a white 2007...I didn't see any yellow....but next time I'll take a closer look....SHIT!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Many Perf White owners are dealing with this issue. Some have had no discoloration, but many have.

I'll be getting mine repainted at the end of Fall before she gets garaged for the winter.... under warranty of course.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Now that you mention it, mine also seems to be yellowing slightly- but only in the rear. I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me though. Good to see I'm not as crazy as I thought. Did you have any problems getting the dealer to warranty the paint job? Thanks- Charlie

·
Registered
165 Posts
My dealer said any defect in the paint would be covered. Seems to only happen on the plastic fascias. Front is barely noticeable, but the rear is a big difference in color.

When I had my new Super Snake quarter window scoops painted locally, the painter said that when he custom mixed the paint, Perf White has some red in it. Perhaps the red does not hold well on plastic like it does on metal? I dunno, just guessing on that part.

All I know is that all metal body parts are perfectly white, while the plastic areas are turning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the info Bandit- Guess I'll have to have the dealer look at that when they're doing the clutch TSB in a couple of weeks.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Jesus Christ....for the money we paid you'd think there'd be less headaches....mine sat in the showromm for many months,,,the bumpers are still white....but I guess it's from sun exposure??..and after they're repainted...who's to say they won't yellow again?...and then what?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts