Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think the rear wheel gap between the tire and the wheel well is too big? It looks wrong to me. Anyone considering lowering by an inch or two, please advise what aftermarket springs could be used?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does anyone else think the rear wheel gap between the tire and the wheel well is too big? It looks wrong to me. Anyone considering lowering by an inch or two, please advise what aftermarket springs could be used?
Yes...I agree 110%. The car needs to sit down, all the way around. Check out the link below. This is from the www.muscularmustangs.com site. ..it's a Ford factory photo. The GT500 pictured has, what I think is a nice stance. Somewhere on another site, somebody just bought some aftermarket Koni stuff for their GT500 to lower it and make it handle better...I'll see if I can't find it again...Stay tuned :)

http://muscularmustangs.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-817

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here is the info. on the lower springs for the Shelby GT500:

They are ground control coil overs with Koni adjustable struts up front with a 430# spring, in the rear they are a spring with an adjustable perch with koni adjustable shocks with 200# springs.

Driving impressions are amazing. The car is FLAT through turns, there is no body roll at all, it just stays firm throughout. On hard braking the car barely dive's...maybe goes 1/4" down when I step on the slow down pedal.

You'd think that the ride would be bone jarring, but it's very smooth. On the softest dampening mode the car is as smooth as stock, but is still very flat in turns. When you firm it up to full it's a little jittery on very bumpy roads...but it still rides much better than my buddy's lowered evo. The handling on the firmest setting is very tight, I feel that it would be best suited for a smooth surface race track because it reacts too firmly to bumps in the road. I have it set to right in the middle, it's a very nice ride and handles superb.

The stock ride height was 28" LF, 29 3/4" LR, 28 1/2" RF, 29 1/4" RR without me in the car. Now it is 26 7/8" LR, 27" LR, 26 7/8 RF, 27" RR with me in the car. LF is 1 1/8" lower, LR is 2 3/4" lower, RF is 1 5/8" lower and RR is 2 1/4" lower.

I got them @ http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=666/CA=4 If you decide to order them, you need to call and specify that it's for a Shelby GT500. Ask for Jay (if he is busy call back, cause he sucks at returning calls).

Hopefully this helps...

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
ShelbyWise did you get your car yet from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Ok sorry.You will love it and you will take your time paying for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree the rear needs to come down. Looks hideous from the factory. First time I saw one in person, I thought the owner had backed it up on the curb. I was wrong.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Air ride technologies is suppose to have a complete air ride kit available for our car's in the next 30 to 60 days. I plan on using this system, you are able to adjust your ride height for any application. Here is a link to read about it in more detail. Once you you enter the site click on Newsletter then View Newsletters, then click on the high lighted folder in Volume 5-Issue1 which is 1070 kb - PDF. Hope this helps anyone.
http://www.ridetech.com/index.asp

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd rather have coil overs than air ride; though air ride is the ticket for easily and immediately adjustable ride height.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Have to agree with CAJUN.. This suspension pkg was planned out by the best Ford Racing, and CS had to offer. I wouldn't mess with the AERO, you may regret it. Rear height+high spoiler will keep her on the road at higher speeds. I know, I've tested mine on the I-80 Dragway/Roadcourse.......

·
Registered
275 Posts
So it's best not to modify the stock set up? I see roush sells a bunch of suspension mods. GGBIW:confused:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just got done putting on the Ground control Suspension, haven't drove it yet but it's sure sweet looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just got done putting on the Ground control Suspension, haven't drove it yet but it's sure sweet looking.
SN8KBYT...Did this lower the car any? I get a lot of comments about how high the car sits. I'm probably going to make some suspension mods for better handling and looks once I get some feedback and see some photos from those who are making changes.

We have a Cooper S that will run circles around our Shelby in the handling dept. The Shelby pushes a little too much for me to remain comfortable at higher speeds...I would really like to get more of a ground hugging feel in the Shelby.

Thanks...:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes it lowered it quite a bit I will take a picture of it today. It doesn't have the air splitter on the front or side skirtting I took them off to get ready to paint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes it lowered it quite a bit I will take a picture of it today. It doesn't have the air splitter on the front or side skirtting I took them off to get ready to paint.
Thanks...I'm concerned with the fenderwell gap and tire clearance. Hopefully things aren't so close as to rub if you hit a bump/pothole while turning or in straightline driving.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here is some pictures of the car lowered. The rear is set to the lowest position the front I set so it would be level with the back. I still have 2 1/4 inches I could lower the front but would run into tire rubbing. Drove the car about 5 miles today since Sept 06 and so far I love all the modifications that I have done to it.

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01502.JPG

DSC01497.JPG

DSC01498.JPG

DSC01499.JPG

DSC01501.JPG

1 - 20 of 36 Posts