Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'm starting to wear my rear tires pretty fast and will be in the market for a new set. The front look new but the rear are a little bald (wonder how that happened???) What are some good rear tire choices? Since I wore these out pretty fast is it worth paying almost twice as much for a pair of BFG KDWs? Are the stock Eagle F1 tires any good? What about the Nittos? Also would it be weird to have two different kinds of tires, front and back? I'm looking for a tire that will allow me to go WOT in first gear which I am not always able to do. I have the FRPP CAI and Tune. Suggestions would be great. Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
The Eagle F1s are aweful... The Nittos were ok for me, but the BFGs are supposedly worth it as bj said (I have never had them). I have never heard anything bad about their performance though.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
The single complaint about KDWs (from candy-*sses) is that they're noisy. If you can hear your freakin' tires your exhaust isn't loud enough.

They stick. They're reasonably priced. And they're NOT F-1s. F-1s are the biggest pieces of crap on the road.

bj

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The single complaint about KDWs (from candy-*sses) is that they're noisy. If you can hear your freakin' tires your exhaust isn't loud enough.

They stick. They're reasonably priced. And they're NOT F-1s. F-1s are the biggest pieces of crap on the road.

bj
+1

not noisy in my opinion. Different feel though - I think they call that traction though...

BTW - I got a set of 4 installed for less than 2 rear F1 Goodyears at retail.

TD

·
Registered
658 Posts
The BFG's will be my next set of rubber, the difference on my 95' Impala SS sold me!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm about ready to dump these F1's. What size KDW's are you running? Looking at the BFG site it looks like 295/35's are closest to stock.

First gear is useless with any mods at all on this car unless your running DR's. I don't think I've ever seen my traction control work.

·
Registered
867 Posts
So...I destroyed my rear F1s in 6k miles. Under the same kind of, shall I call it irresponsible driving, will the BFGs last? I'm expecting them to not last nearly as long since they're most likely a softer compound. Any thoughts guys?

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
From friends, I have heard the BFGs will out last the goodyears, and most any other tire that's not plastic. Everyone that has them seems to swear they are the super tire that has more grip and lasts longer. However, driving as in 6k out of a set, I don't know that much will stand up to that...lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...I destroyed my rear F1s in 6k miles. Under the same kind of, shall I call it irresponsible driving, will the BFGs last? I'm expecting them to not last nearly as long since they're most likely a softer compound. Any thoughts guys?
Dont feel left out I only have 5k on mine :shrug03:
But I have gotten past that initial compulsive stage of owning the car.

·
Registered
639 Posts
BFG KDW's that is all please drive through.

If you are a memeber of Costco they carry BFG's and you will pay less

·
Registered
867 Posts
Heh, thanks guys. I think I'm sold on Toyo Proxes T1Rs atm though.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
If you go with 295/35/18 you will see more black in the wheel well. Unless your car is lowered the low profile will make your rear end look higher. You have more of a choice with that size, but take a hit with less rubber. I'd stay with 40s if you want all around perf. The best is drag radials in 285-305/40.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Does anyone know if the BFG's covered by the optional tire and wheel warranty?

·
Registered
300 Posts
My goodyears were gone at 8k.

I now have 9500 on my 335/30ZR18 Nittos and they still have a considerable life left. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi,

Which BFG KDW's are we talking about here?!?! What exact part number are these? I've looked at Google Images and there are a few different styles/treads. Please inform on which ones you are talking about. Also, what sizes for front and back...same as stock or what sizes are you guys using for stock replacement and ride height?

OSHELBYO

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
At this point, I'm assuming everyone is running the new tread...

·
Registered
140 Posts
At this point, I'm assuming everyone is running the new tread...
This is what I'm asking. I see a tread with criss-cross pattern and some with tread with grooves going all the way around the tire which looks a similar to our stock F1's! Which ones are we talking about here?

Please and thanks, :shrug03:

OSHELBYO

·
Registered
658 Posts
I believe VNMOUS1 is pretty well versed on the subject

1 - 20 of 21 Posts