Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a rear strut brace made by Shelby to triangulate the frame a bit. After getting it in the mail, several coats of primer and even more coats of rustoleum soft flat iron paint, I was looking forward to an easy install and the test drive to feel the improved handling. ...only to feel stupid when the Shaker 1000 subwoofer was in the way. Disappointed I hadn't even considered this, I turned to this forum and the internet for help. Surely I wasn't the only person who had the stock subwoofer and wanted more stability in the rear. Right?

Well, I found nothing. After a short but sweet argument with the wife (she wanted to keep the subwoofer, but I was ready to throw it away for a minuscule improvement in handling), I went to work to see how I could have both. I'm posting the solution here because I thought it might help someone else. Not sure, but I think the Shaker 1000 came with all the S197 GT500s, so maybe someone else might be looking at the same conflict of interests.

The pictures tell the story and I wish I had taken a few when it was out and cut open. The subwoofer must have been designed for multiple cars, because the part that blocks the brace is completely hollow and not a functional part of the frame at all. I cut as little as possible with a dremel and then patched up the plastic opening with some BoomMat I had left over from a previous project. I don't think I needed to patch it up, but just thought it might look sloppy if not (plus, my cuts with the dremel weren't that clean).

No change to the quality of the sound system and the handling feels slightly tighter. I'd recommend the part to anyone looking to make the handling as responsive as possible.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,682 Posts
Congrats on your solution, did the new brace make a difference you could feel in the suspension ?
Also, the Shaker 1000 was an extra cost option, most people that ordered it thought it was a waste of their money..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I agree about the Shaker. When I first bought the car, I cranked up a song and turned the Shaker on and off to see if I could tell the difference. I heard no difference at all.

Regarding the brace, I can cite no measurable difference. However, it feels tighter because I know the brace is on there. It's probably all in my head, but I'm okay with that. Both of my kids are very confident they can feel a big difference - probably because they were present for the struggle to get it in. Oh, and it looks great. It was only $108 bucks from CJ Pony parts.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,370 Posts
Clever way to make it work! Thanks for sharing your efforts with us.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
I saw these offered bu SAI when they came out. They said it was not suitable with the Shaker 1000 and that’s what stopped me from purchasing it. Great job on find a way to make it work. how is it fastened to the car?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One nut on either side. Simply take off the nut that holds your rear shock in place and slide it in. You'll need two wrenches: one to hold the shaft/bolt still, and the other to rotate the nut around the shaft. Otherwise, both will spin. Not counting taking out the Shaker, cutting and sealing it, and fastening it back in, it took less than 15 minutes. Oh, and I cut a slanted U-shape in part of the side-carpet so it looked like it belonged. That took nearly 30 minutes because I didn't want to cut too much or the wrong angle.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Put one in a couple of years ago easy install but I don’t have Shaker 1000. You do have to cut the carpet I just bought extra OEM carpet panels so if I took it out know one would know.
89289AF0-0913-470D-9235-634AC96C136B.jpeg
E4195960-BA22-4D20-9E6B-18871F7E1AC3.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts