Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I know this question has been raised before - I have a 2012 SVT GT500 stock suspension with an adjustable panhard bar ( car isn't lowered but noticed the rear was slightly off center , so I put one in ). I just put M/T ET Street R 315/50/17's on Weld RTS S71 17 x 10's on the rear and had no clearance / rub issues until I hit a bump/dip on a road at speed and I caught the inner lip in the front of the rear quarter and took a chunk out of the tire . VERY luckily no damage to me or the car - just the tire and inner lip of the quarter . After inspecting everything and looking at where the tire hit , I realized that the suspension traveled up into the quarter panel ( as it should ) and along the the expansion of the tire , hit the lip .

I've since bent the lips inward on both sides

I was wondering if a pair of Vikings - or other shocks would help stiffen the suspension , and eliminate some of that travel ?

I keep hearing about Viking shocks , but don't know anyone who has them at the moment .

Any input is much appreciated - thanks .

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,731 Posts
I don’t think shocks will solve your problem. Your solution is narrower tires and/or a different offset to keep the tires from hitting your fenders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right - just seeing what people who know more about this than I do might say . I do plan on going with a smaller tire - problem is , the next smaller tire is a a 305/45/17 in either the ET Street R or ET Street SS - 27.9" diameter , both of which leave too much fender / wheel gap - tried one from a friends mustang - which means if I want to stay with Welds , which I do , I could go with a 15" wheel and cut the sway bar brackets and relocate ( which I dont want to do ) or go up one to an 18 x 10 Weld wheel in which I can run a Nitto NT05R in 305/45/18 which is almost the diameter of what I have now , and narrower , but of course - the $$ - looks like I might have no choice .....

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,339 Posts
You're probably right - just seeing what people who know more about this than I do might say . I do plan on going with a smaller tire - problem is , the next smaller tire is a a 305/45/17 in either the ET Street R or ET Street SS - 27.9" diameter , both of which leave too much fender / wheel gap - tried one from a friends mustang - which means if I want to stay with Welds , which I do , I could go with a 15" wheel and cut the sway bar brackets and relocate ( which I dont want to do ) or go up one to an 18 x 10 Weld wheel in which I can run a Nitto NT05R in 305/45/18 which is almost the diameter of what I have now , and narrower , but of course - the $$ - looks like I might have no choice .....
PM Catmonkey (Jon). He is the resident expert of tire sizes, wheel offsets etc. on these GT500's.

·
Premium Member
7,179 Posts
You probably just need to replace the wheels, although I would suspect you have to replace the tires with that cut. Weld makes a bunch of different offsets. On a 17x10, I see they have a 58mm offset. That should tuck the wheel enough to prevent it from happening again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts