Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008, GT500 , Vert'
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to put the late model GT500 finned alum diff cover on my 2008. It has the machined groove all the way around the sealing surface. Should I just apply a bead of RTV into the groove? Slightly over filling it? I was going to use a Lube Locker gasket, but not to keen on the face that the cover has the machined groove in it.

Reactions: RobertMKeefe

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
52,809 Posts
So I'm going to put the late model GT500 finned alum diff cover on my 2008. It has the machined groove all the way around the sealing surface. Should I just apply a bead of RTV into the groove? Slightly over filling it? I was going to use a Lube Locker gasket, but not to keen on the face that the cover has the machined groove in it.
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum. Be sure to click SAVE at the bottom!

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
913 Posts
Make sure you get one with a drain plug. No idea why they left this off - you can actually see the blank where it should have been!

·
Registered
2007 Black with Tungsten Gray Stripes, 2.8 KB, 3” pulley too many mods too list.
218 Posts
I’d use rtv only. Ford uses only rtv on the stamped covers. Wipe off any excess rtv, it always looks bad looking at cars with rtv squeezed out and left

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 Track Pack - Sterling Grey
111 Posts
I personally have used the lube locker gasket with the finned diff cover on my previous 14 GT with no issues. Much simpler than using RTV IMO but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Shelby GT500
765 Posts
I personally have used the lube locker gasket with the finned diff cover on my previous 14 GT with no issues. Much simpler than using RTV IMO but to each their own.
I agree with this Lube locker is the simplest way to seal your rear end. I too have positive experiences to share

1 - 8 of 8 Posts