Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this has been a topic that people want to know about I am making a thread for it.As I have mentioned before,the 2 bolt on weights on the rear axle are for noise reduction.Now for those of you that like detail I will tell you how this works.On all S197 Mustangs,the rear axle is high speed balanced by the vendor of the axle.If there is excess vibration the weights are put on if not they are deleted.So next time you are under your Mustang look at the plastic bar coded tag on the rear axle.If it has a "Y" on the tag the axle
gets the weights if it has a "N" on the tag the axle doesn't get the weights.Now everyone knows the secret.:bandit:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Fred, your a wealth of knowledge :)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You da man, Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh cut it out,you're making me blush.You're welcome.I am trying to get back in the groove.I have been online in a limited capacity lately.Just trying to help out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
07 - They are all going to freak when they see their rusty axle! :(

I removed the barcode when I painted my axle - I assume it said "Y".

·
Registered
938 Posts
Fred I'm going to take a guess but does Y = Yes and N = No? Thanks Fred for the info good to hear from you.

Kerry

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh cut it out,you're making me blush.You're welcome.I am trying to get back in the groove.I have been online in a limited capacity lately.Just trying to help out.
Now for the real question, do you have the weights on your special rearend?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
yes or no?

I thought all GT500's had the weights?:thinkerg:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
07 - They are all going to freak when they see their rusty axle! :(

I removed the barcode when I painted my axle - I assume it said "Y".

Yes they are rusting when they are installed:bandit:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred I'm going to take a guess but does Y = Yes and N = No? Thanks Fred for the info good to hear from you.

Kerry

Yes Kerry that is correct.Thanks we'll have to do something soon.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes or no?

I thought all GT500's had the weights?:thinkerg:

You are correct Sir.All GT500 have the rear dampers(weights).Thanks for clarifying that Bill.The thought is,with the over sized tires and torque that the GT500 puts out it,it would need all the dampening it could use to control vibration.Believe me the engineers are not going to put anything on that they don't have to spend money on.

Here is another scenario.All the people that put on the torque boxes and eliminated that metal/rubber piece that everyone says you don't need.Guess what when they were testing the mules they found that the gas tanks were cracking from rocks and stones and leaking fuel.That piece that was taken off is the fuel tank stone deflector.They make this piece out of plastic on the "08" and "09"M.Y. to save cost but it is still on the car.:info-smilie:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here is another scenario.All the people that put on the torque boxes and eliminated that metal/rubber piece that everyone says you don't need.Guess what when they were testing the mules they found that the gas tanks were cracking from rocks and stones and leaking fuel.That piece that was taken off is the fuel tank stone deflector.They make this piece out of plastic on the "08" and "09"M.Y. to save cost but it is still on the car.:info-smilie:
I was really hesitant to remove that deflector. I knew it was there for a reason. I've been trying to come up with a design for a replacement that will work with the torque box braces.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Since those things are weights, this thread would not be complete without sharing what those things weigh. Together they weigh 10 lbs.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Good to see you back Fred. We were under Fredded. LOL Glad to know about the tank protector, too. Glad you guys at Ford over do the motor so I could soup it up and it not blow up. If I do I know where to get another.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts