Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone removed the cast iron weights on the rear axle? They are bolted to the inboard side of the shock brackets. If so, have you noticed any difference in driving?

Does Mustang GT have the same weights?

I have them off while painting the rear axle (I cannot stand rust anywhere:mad: )and thinking about leaving them off.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Brown Trout these weights do have a purpose and it was mentioned on the Romeo tour. Can not remember for the life of me what it was. I am sure one of our other members is not experiencing a senior moment and will help us out here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure they have a purpose, probably vibration related.

I know 87-93 GT's had a large weight center mounted on the rear differential housing that was supposed to reduce vibration. I removed a few of those and never noticed any difference. I removed it from the 8.8 in my FFR when I built the car 5 years ago and have had no issues.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Brown Trout these weights do have a purpose and it was mentioned on the Romeo tour. Can not remember for the life of me what it was. I am sure one of our other members is not experiencing a senior moment and will help us out here.
These weights were mentioned @ ROMEO. They are being used as a vibration dampener for the rear end. If you drove in or around Romeo much you could use these weights in all outer extremeties. Hood, doors, dash, may want to make sure May flys don't have them on board, beat a good car to death.

ILLEGAL

·
Registered
861 Posts
I Removed them From my 98gt and everyone told me that they were for viberation and if I removed them I would have more road noise from the viberation. I took them off and never noticed anything. If you already have them off then leave them off and report back to us.:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Anyone removed the cast iron weights on the rear axle? They are bolted to the inboard side of the shock brackets. If so, have you noticed any difference in driving?

I have them off while painting the rear axle (I cannot stand rust anywhere:mad: )and thinking about leaving them off.

Thanks,
Tom
The Mustang GTs have these weights, the Shelby GTs do not.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Thanks,
Tom
I am getting ready to paint my axle housing as well.

Do you know how much each of those blocks weigh?

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you change the rear gears, the weights are now useless as the natural frequency of the rear axel, which the weights were tuned to, has changed. Thus why Shelby removes them from the Shelby GT.

The effect, even on a purely stock car is pretty minor though. I doubt many could tell the difference without them.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why not just put some car seats and your kids in the rear seats to balance the vibrations! Mine love the wind in their face with the windows rolled down.

By the way, I for one remember when "rolling" the windows down meant "rolling" the hand crank. I also remember the flimsy door handles that pulled apart from repeated closures...

Anyway, whats' the point? Oh yeah- Vibrations...

I've never noticed odd vibrations with the stock configuration - though I have no lift to look for additional weights on the rear axle.

TD

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I had the weights off for painting the axle as well. I painted the weights and re-installed. Together they weigh about 10 pounds.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I have removed the weights and noticed no change in vibration. I also have changed gears to 3.73s,

Welcome 69b302:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts