Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hit a curb on some ice. Mechanic says I need new righ rear axle shaft and maybe houseing too. They say part is not available so I have to buy entire assembley!!!

Any one have any ideas how I can get axle shaft without having to buy entire assembly? If I have to buy new shaft or entire assebly should I upgrade? Does anyone make better axle shaft that I should upgrade too? Any ideas on how to handle situation?

Mike

·
Registered
806 Posts
Currie 9"

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hmm.

I would think that switching up to a 9" rear end would definately be a benefit if you plan on doing any modding.

Might be able to find a shop to fix it, but... Maybe you can contact the member who just totalled his GT500 and see if he can swap/sell you his, if its still servicable.

Who knows, maybe there is a huge parts market for a gt500.. Probably for SURE that means his really is totalled if no parts are available..

TD

·
Registered
56 Posts
First I would find out if your axle tube is bent. There are very good after market axles available for the GT500, would be stronger and far less expensive than replacing everything. Changing the axles is an easy and quick job.
I would be a little skeptical of a mechanic that told me "maybe your differential or axle tubes are bent" either they are bent or not. Just my opinion about the mechanic.

·
Registered
861 Posts
First see if the tube is bent (second opinion). Then contact Moser and see if they offer axles only.

Dave
"Moser" or "Strange" make really good axles. If I were going to change them I would upgrade to 31 splines (from 28 splines) Stronger axle.

JJ

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
First check to see that your housing doesn't have any problems and so long as it's good then go with a good set of aftermarket axles as have been suggested to you already. I wouldn't bother upgrading beyond 31 spline or you'll have to change out your center section too. Unless you are planning on taking horsepower up quite a bit farther and putting a good set of slicks on it at the track I wouldn't bother with more than just a good set of aftermarket axles. Some have mentioned a 9" rear and that would definitely be one way to go if your housing is screwed up. It may end up being the most economical too and it would be bulletproof. The nice thing about the 9" is if you have more than one center section with different gears on them you can swap gears in under 2 hours!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts