Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give a great deal of thanks to Keith and crew over at SPP for getting the wheels to me. It was well worth the wait. See for yourself.

The Nitto INVOs are about 4 times better than the OEMs and that tread pattern is just sick looking (in a good way).

I do have a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at about 45-60 and again around 120-130, but not on all surfaces. It's about 1/2" total and only after the tires and wheels were installed and had just had it aligned the week before for the springs.

I do remember someone with this condition and something about having a "road load" balancer balance them? Would my dealership have this or an alignment shop?

Please reply or pm me with your fix if you can. It would be much appreciated.

This is after the springs but before the wheels...big difference eh?

·
Registered
341 Posts
boy you hung in there on that order, looks good. waiting to see if they are going to release any of the 18" Alcoa's. if so, i'll get a set of those and have the rear widen to 11". let the waiting begin.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like the look of that wheel. Ever since I saw them on the CS6 Shelby on the showroom floor in Vegas I was sold on them. If my wife ever gets a GT500 we will probably look into that wheel as well. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have to give a great deal of thanks to Keith and crew over at SPP for getting the wheels to me. It was well worth the wait. See for yourself.

The Nitto INVOs are about 4 times better than the OEMs and that tread pattern is just sick looking (in a good way).

I do have a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at about 45-60 and again around 120-130, but not on all surfaces. It's about 1/2" total and only after the tires and wheels were installed and had just had it aligned the week before for the springs.

I do remember someone with this condition and something about having a "road load" balancer balance them? Would my dealership have this or an alignment shop?

Please reply or pm me with your fix if you can. It would be much appreciated.

This is after the springs but before the wheels...big difference eh?

Alignment won't cause tire shimmy...it's a balance issue. Did they put weights on both inside and outside of the wheel? or just inside? Sometimes people with show cars tell them only to put weights on the inside...which results in a slightly inferior balance. I don't know about the type of balance you mention...we used to do something called a "strobe" balance where you hooked up a strobe light and shined it on the wheel, then spin the wheel with a little motor...it's an art.

Good luck, looks nice. :)

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dave, as always you know exactly the fix...

it was in the balance...they did what they call a static balance the first time, this time they did an alloy balance and it's not dead straight through 130+

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
thanks dave, as always you know exactly the fix...

it was in the balance...they did what they call a static balance the first time, this time they did an alloy balance and it's not dead straight through 130+
An alloy balance? Cool! Is that like Grabberized control arms? :cowtounge:

Glad you got it fixed.

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...yeah probably

He told me it's more of a 3d kind of balance instead of a just a 1d.

I haven't a clue...I'm just a dumb pilot. LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love those wheels. I've been eyeballing them for a while. What size did you put on...18's or are those 20's? Looks sharp!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are silver 20".

The silver are on serious back order. I ordered in Nov and got them in mid March. The others shouldn't be near as bad.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What size are those tires?

Still undecided on the next set of tires. I figure I got about another 5000 left. I consider them "training wheels" in learning to drive a car with overpowering torque that spins the tires and you can't barely hear them.

Think I can get a free set of tires on warranty basis - the TCS didn't work??

TD

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LMAO.... IF you do...let me know...

I put 255/35/20s on front and 285/30/20s on back...yes, the 285s are a little big for the rims, but it looks good and I'm not road racing it. (no heavy side loads)

The Nitto INVOs are a great tire. I've run most of all the major brands on my McLaren Mustang and these compared to the F1s are no comparison at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts