Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GT500 CTFP
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I took my newly acquired car with only 130ish miles to the drag strip to see what she would run.

1st run, ran 11.43 @ 127 and I thought not bad but could do better.

2nd run I did 12.507 @ 119.74, I ran this with only a 15 minute cooldown. This run felt odd, as it felt like it was slightly "missing" throughout the run. Next run, I waited an hour and half as I thought maybe a heat soak or something like that?

3rd run I did 13.549 @ 107.19, the car felt like it was bogging down severely all throughout the run and even right as I crossed the finish line it gave one huge bog. I did see something orange flash on the dashboard but it quickly went away so I couldn't see what it was, could've just been the track lights I'm not sure. I shut it down after this as a caution, wasn't sure if there was a mechanical issue and drove it easy back home

Any thoughts on why it was progressively getting worse? I'm at a loss. The track is very well prepped and very sticky.

I posted a picture of timeslips, you can see the times I ran.
\
Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Wood

·
Registered
2022 GT500 CTFP
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not normal. Those are significant power loses. The last run doesn't even seem to be making any boost. If it still feels sluggish, you need to take it to the dealer and see what they come up with.
This was my thought but I was afraid they would send me away if I told them the issues came from a drag strip.

Also forgot to mention, I had drag mode on all 3 runs. Did not turn off traction control.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
9,175 Posts
If you haven't done the GT500 Track Attack, we run these cars on the drag strip and hot lap them. They're built to take it. As long as you have not installed any mods, it should be covered under warranty. There's been a few instances I've seen here where the upper pulley failed and quit spinning the supercharger. If it's not making any weird noises and puffing smoke and drives normal otherwise, it's probably something simple like that.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 CTFP
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you haven't done the GT500 Track Attack, we run these cars on the drag strip and hot lap them. They're built to take it. As long as you have not installed any mods, it should be covered under warranty. There's been a few instances I've seen here where the upper pulley failed and quit spinning the supercharger. If it's not making any weird noises and puffing smoke and drives normal otherwise, it's probably something simple like that.

I just had a thought today as I was looking at the engine bay. I never removed the rain tray. Could that cause issues? I can't imagine it would.

I think I'll take it to Ford and see if they see anything I'm not. Just scared of technicians messing with the car haha

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just had a thought today as I was looking at the engine bay. I never removed the rain tray. Could that cause issues? I can't imagine it would.
Rain tray may cause very very slight differences in performance, maybe allow engine to cool faster, but definitely not the cause of what you're experiencing. Subscribing to hear what you discover.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We ran 2 1/8 mile passes and 6 1/4 mile passes at track attack with no issues like that. My times and speeds generally got better. Something is definitely wrong, and the pulley problem sounds plausible.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
43,872 Posts
If the pulley connection separated and the engine was making zero boost, I would not expect times to progress slower like that. There would be a big change on the times as the car is now naturally aspirated. You could easily confirm this now by seeing if the car makes boost.

I bet if you looked at your temps, you would have seen them higher on each run. Whether it was MCT, oil temp, trans temp… something was hotter on each successive run. The engine was pulling power to protect itself. As pointed out, this is not normal. These cars can hot lap.

If this was my car, I’d remove the rain tray and go back for 3 more runs trying to replicate the time gaps. This time look at all your temperatures as you are heading to the line.

·
Registered
2022 Atlas Blue GT500
106 Posts
A few weeks ago, I took my newly acquired car with only 130ish miles to the drag strip to see what she would run.

1st run, ran 11.43 @ 127 and I thought not bad but could do better.

2nd run I did 12.507 @ 119.74, I ran this with only a 15 minute cooldown. This run felt odd, as it felt like it was slightly "missing" throughout the run. Next run, I waited an hour and half as I thought maybe a heat soak or something like that?

3rd run I did 13.549 @ 107.19, the car felt like it was bogging down severely all throughout the run and even right as I crossed the finish line it gave one huge bog. I did see something orange flash on the dashboard but it quickly went away so I couldn't see what it was, could've just been the track lights I'm not sure. I shut it down after this as a caution, wasn't sure if there was a mechanical issue and drove it easy back home

Any thoughts on why it was progressively getting worse? I'm at a loss. The track is very well prepped and very sticky.

I posted a picture of timeslips, you can see the times I ran.
\
View attachment 247517
If you're reluctant to take it to a Ford dealer first, go to AutoZone and have them plug in to the OBD port and see if it did in fact generate an error code. The motor went to a reduced power mode for an undetermined reason. Full diagnostics are required. Warranty is unaffected.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 CTFP
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're reluctant to take it to a Ford dealer first, go to AutoZone and have them plug in to the OBD port and see if it did in fact generate an error code. The motor went to a reduced power mode for an undetermined reason. Full diagnostics are required. Warranty is unaffected.

I did end up taking it to a ford dealer, they scanned obd, did a test drive and couldn't really see an issue mechanically at least. They said they would need to replicate the issue which I imagine would require a few passes at the strip.

·
Registered
2022 GT500 CTFP
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the pulley connection separated and the engine was making zero boost, I would not expect times to progress slower like that. There would be a big change on the times as the car is now naturally aspirated. You could easily confirm this now by seeing if the car makes boost.

I bet if you looked at your temps, you would have seen them higher on each run. Whether it was MCT, oil temp, trans temp… something was hotter on each successive run. The engine was pulling power to protect itself. As pointed out, this is not normal. These cars can hot lap.

If this was my car, I’d remove the rain tray and go back for 3 more runs trying to replicate the time gaps. This time look at all your temperatures as you are heading to the line.

I may just end up doing this. I didn't even think to look at temperature guages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts