Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought some m5x.80x 20mm thumb knobs to replace torx bolts
Hi, this is PRINCE, can you please tell us more in detail about these "Thumb Knobs" that you installed in place of the torx bolts that come with the GT500. This sounds like it really should solve the issues dealing with these torx bolts. Ford should of thought of doing this in the first place. Do these thumb knobs clear the the engine and the hood so that you can closed the hood without any problems? Thank you I appreciate it. PRINCE

·
Registered
2020 gt500 cftp painted stripes
58 Posts
Hi, this is PRINCE, can you please tell us more in detail about these "Thumb Knobs" that you installed in place of the torx bolts that come with the GT500. This sounds like it really should solve the issues dealing with these torx bolts. Ford should of thought of doing this in the first place. Do these thumb knobs clear the the engine and the hood so that you can closed the hood without any problems? Thank you I appreciate it. PRINCE
Order them from Amazon 5mmx.80x12mm
Grey Asphalt Road surface Electric blue Freezing
Automotive lighting Hood Fixture Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,718 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good Morning Norm,

Thank you for the quick reply to my question. Thank you as well for taking the time out of your busy schedule to explain and take pictures of the actual "thumb knobs". We appreciate you. You mentioned using size 5MM x .80 x 12MM for this application which can be purchased from Amazon. Thank you for the Amazon link which shows these "thumb knobs". You said to ordered the M5 x 16mm with 19 inches, which I was unable to find this size on Amazon. Anyway I went ahead and ordered this morning from Amazon the Uxcell M5 x 16mm Male Thread Knurled Clamping Knobs Grip Thumb Screw on Type (6) pieces for $9.39 which is very reasonable which you recommended . Hopefully these are the right thumb knobs with the 19 mm in length as I was not able to find where to locate 19mm size on the Amazon sight as you mentioned. You also mentioned having to cut the length down by 1/4 inch. Is this correct? How many screws are there to hold is rain tray down? Also can you let me know if I ordered the right ones? Thank you. PRINCE.

·
Registered
2020 gt500 cftp painted stripes
58 Posts
Good Morning Norm,

Thank you for the quick reply to my question. Thank you as well for taking the time out of your busy schedule to explain and take pictures of the actual "thumb knobs". We appreciate you. You mentioned using size 5MM x .80 x 12MM for this application which can be purchased from Amazon. Thank you for the Amazon link which shows these "thumb knobs". You said to ordered the M5 x 16mm with 19 inches, which I was unable to find this size on Amazon. Anyway I went ahead and ordered this morning from Amazon the Uxcell M5 x 16mm Male Thread Knurled Clamping Knobs Grip Thumb Screw on Type (6) pieces for $9.39 which is very reasonable which you recommended . Hopefully these are the right thumb knobs with the 19 mm in length as I was not able to find where to locate 19mm size on the Amazon sight as you mentioned. You also mentioned having to cut the length down by 1/4 inch. Is this correct? How many screws are there to hold is rain tray down? Also can you let me know if I ordered the right ones? Thank you. PRINCE.
Yes I think that will work great you need 8 knobs 16 mm long should do the trick the 19 mm is just a little bit to long so I trim them down .now I am looking for something small to store them in when the rain tray in out .they have a small plastic box for soap storage in camping section of wally world or there a case for SD cards for trail cameras also will post if these work.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,213 Posts
Yes I think that will work great you need 8 knobs 16 mm long should do the trick the 19 mm is just a little bit to long so I trim them down .now I am looking for something small to store them in when the rain tray in out .they have a small plastic box for soap storage in camping section of wally world or there a case for SD cards for trail cameras also will post if these work.
I've taken to using empty Eclipse containers for screws etc.
I don't know if they would be big enough for 8 of these (and it's a bonus if you like the gum lol)

It would fit in a cupholder too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate the quick rely. Since you said that this will work, I went ahead and ordered another set of (6) because I need (8) of these knobs for the tray. That will give me 4 knobs as spares just in case. Thank again for this recommendation on using this knobs as an alternative to the Ford factory ones. PRINCE

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,213 Posts
Hmmm, so removing the tray helps hood flutter? I only drive mine in clear weather anyway, so I might remove mine.
Yeah -- less 'trapped' air under the hood.
Plus having the tray out gives some additional downforce with the airflow out over the hood.

There's a color diagram of the airflow --- I just don't have it handy.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts
Yeah -- less 'trapped' air under the hood.
Plus having the tray out gives some additional downforce with the airflow out over the hood.

There's a color diagram of the airflow --- I just don't have it handy.
Hood Automotive design Toy Font Magenta
Tire Wheel Eye Human body Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Vehicle Car Wheel Hood Automotive lighting
Hood Toy Automotive design Vehicle Magenta
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
133 Posts
Hmmm, so removing the tray helps hood flutter? I only drive mine in clear weather anyway, so I might remove mine.
DEFINITELY helps with hood flutter. Driving mine home from the dealer the hood near the windshield was bouncing so much I thought it might be loose. Took the rain tray off and now no flutter at all.

I'm going to get a few of the thumb screws mentioned and use just a couple for washing the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just called and spoke with Benjamin. He said they have recently discovered this can be a problem with their rain tray decal. He said that area sits right above the engine and gets too hot. He said to contact him and he will give you a full refund and he is letting everyone know now that this is for display only for like a car show and not to be driven with it in place.
I have installed a few of Bemaro’s decals and when I washed the car, I had some issues with some of the front splitter letters moving… My rain tray snake also started coming off so I removed the tray and found while out driving she gets better gas mileage (lol like that’s an issue, but my hubby actually looks, I don’t). The plan was to paint the tray, then add the snake back on to see if it helped any. I understand the heat of the engine would affect it, I just didn’t realize it would be that much.
Cheryl

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
42,718 Posts
I have installed a few of Bemaro’s decals and when I washed the car, I had some issues with some of the front splitter letters moving… My rain tray snake also started coming off so I removed the tray and found while out driving she gets better gas mileage (lol like that’s an issue, but my hubby actually looks, I don’t). The plan was to paint the tray, then add the snake back on to see if it helped any. I understand the heat of the engine would affect it, I just didn’t realize it would be that much.
Cheryl
When you applied the letters to the splitter, did you prep the splitter with rubbing alcohol? It removes oils and helps with the bond. Others have reported issues as well and some have even used adhesion promoter or silicone (as a glue).

When I wash my car, I avoid hard spray on the letters. So far they are holding up well, even after speed testing them to 175.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 , black, no stripes, tech package carbon fiber, JLT cai catch can, 2.85 pulley VMP tune
72 Posts
I installed the Ford sourced decal two months ago, following the directions exactly. It has now survived 1,000 miles and several 95 degree plus Texas days outside with no problem.
Dick

·
Registered
2021 GT500, On Order - 2022 HE CFTP Black Painted stripes
68 Posts
Good Morning Norm,

Prince, did these work? Getting ready to order some for my car. Thanks

21 - 40 of 57 Posts