Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try these? I’m interested in ordering them. Would be nice to leave the rain tray Velcro’d in the trunk & have these on hand for quick attachment if get stuck in rain. Saw someone else tried a magnetic option but can’t imagine it would stay put during anything but sitting still.
Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Circle

Household hardware Automotive tire Nickel Tool Auto part

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
291 Posts
Anyone try these? I’m interested in ordering them. Would be nice to leave the rain tray Velcro’d in the trunk & have these on hand for quick attachment if get stuck in rain. Saw someone else tried a magnetic option but can’t imagine it would stay put during anything but sitting still.
View attachment 242769
View attachment 242770
I used these from Amazon. They work great but honestly, I very rarely put the tray back in.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rapid Red
256 Posts
I went with the magnet setup. Couldn’t find a 1/2" double sided tape disc with enough information to confirm reliability m so I bought 1” wide tape and used a razor knife to cut the tape around each magnet.

The magnets are listed as 4 pounds of pull each, so theoretically should hold a 32 pound rain cover.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
View attachment 242769
View attachment 242770
Check out this thread:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect I ordered the set from amazon......lot cheaper.
It's funny, I have never bought so many items for a car before I actually had the car in my possession o_O but toorrow is delivery day!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the magnet setup. Couldn’t find a 1/2" double sided tape disc with enough information to confirm reliability m so I bought 1” wide tape and used a razor knife to cut the tape around each magnet.

The magnets are listed as 4 pounds of pull each, so theoretically should hold a 32 pound rain cover.

This sounds great & ultra convenient in theory....I just wouldn't personally feel comfortable relying on magnets, especially at triple digit velocities.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rapid Red
256 Posts
This sounds great & ultra convenient in theory....I just wouldn't personally feel comfortable relying on magnets, especially at triple digit velocities.
My rain tray lives in the trunk. If I need to park and it's raining, it'll go in and then come out when I head back out. Can't say with certainty, but the additional airflow while driving should keep the engine from getting wet enough to do any damage.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base Rapid Red
186 Posts
I'm wondering if these will work, mainly the flange diameter. Any idea what threads we are going into? I don't want to mix the materials too much, don't want galvanic corrosion. They're not cheap but I can probably find them somewhere else that's not mcmaster - they're always expensive.
Font Parallel Auto part Rectangle Cylinder

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering if these will work, mainly the flange diameter. Any idea what threads we are going into? I don't want to mix the materials too much, don't want galvanic corrosion. They're not cheap but I can probably find them somewhere else that's not mcmaster - they're always expensive. View attachment 242871
Those look a lot like the ones the guy on Facebook is selling…

·
Registered
186 Posts
Those look a lot like the ones the guy on Facebook is selling…
That's why I figured they would be close to the same size. His are black oxide or something lower grade, which is why his are like half the price of these.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's why I figured they would be close to the same size. His are black oxide or something lower grade, which is why his are like half the price of these.
Do you think it would make that much of a difference. My goal was run naked & only throw it on if get caught somewhere I’d need to drive in rain. So will be out more than in (sounds like the story of my life 🤣😂)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do you think it would make that much of a difference. My goal was run naked & only throw it on if get caught somewhere I’d need to drive in rain. So will be out more than in (sounds like the story of my life 🤣😂)
I don't think so, I would just buy nice ones because I'm crazy like that. You could get away with anything that holds it on for the day or so.

Reactions: rxsamg

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,739 Posts
I went with thumb screws for a brief time based on Goose17’s recommendation but I haven’t had my rain tray installed for nearly a year. My car sees rain and washes quite often and water intrusion is very minimal.

Reactions: rxsamg
1 - 15 of 15 Posts