Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,861 Posts
With the tires toed out like that, you're basically dragging them along every mile you drive, so yes, it will certainly affect tire wear (I'm guessing the inside of the right rear tire cups and then gets real noisy). As for handling, hard to say, but I'm guessing you have more going on back there from the accident. Look for torn bushings in the control arms, bent arms, bent panhard (removed panhard because it was bent and I don't trust insurance repairs?), check the upper axle mount (hard to see), and like John said, see if the axle is bent. When they're done with the repair, I would go to another shop (or even a dealer if you have a good one) and have them check the alignment too and look for any other damage.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You should be able to measure run-out on the axle (or the wheel) to determine if it's bent or not. It may be the housing that's bent.
So.....I took it to ford. The axel is bent. Insurance is paying to replace everything. The first body shop somehow “missed” that and once I started driving in rain is when I knew there was something definitely not right. It’s cracked. At first they were talking about totaling it but they came back and said it has value. 🙏

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Our cars have wide tires. That alone makes them more susceptible to getting pulled around by standing water. Now add low tread depth of some tires (worse with old tires) and the problem is compounded. I personally wouldn’t drive on drag radials on wet roads. A guy I know almost lost his life because of it.
Is it too late to get insurance to cover this...?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
@Daniel you quoted me, but didn’t type your reply. Make sure to hit your cursor after the quotes and type.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I totally concur regarding driving in wet weather with drag radials. I have two sets of rear tires and rims. One for out of town driving ( street tires ) and the other set drag radials with a larger footprint. If it starts to rain in town Im just cautious and in town driving max is 45 so all is good

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a thought from a dreamer, it might be a good Idea to have the body shop look for a rear axle with a more desirable rear end ratio as it is my understanding a lot of them came with 3.31:1 which is high if you ask me. however if they are just buying the case only and installing your gears you could buy a new set of gears and the labor charge would be waived as they will have to reset up the Backlashes and preloads anyway. again this is just a thought. Glad it is getting covered

21 - 26 of 26 Posts