Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.....does anyone find the 2009 GT500 almost impossible to keep on the road in rain? I was doing 45 today on the freeway and thought I’d have whiplash by the time I drove the 34 miles to work. I drive slow, I don’t hot rod. The rear end kept jerking to the sides like cross winds in an aircaft. wanted to see if anyone else notices this. It feels quite dangerous.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm that’s not good. I just spent $900 on a new set of Michelin’s. Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Deff tires!
At the end of the day, it’s just a Mustang. It handles no different than any other Mustang.
What tires?
I have driven in the rain in my drag radials without any issues. Shit I’ve driven in very light snow on r888’s already. Lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
Our cars have wide tires. That alone makes them more susceptible to getting pulled around by standing water. Now add low tread depth of some tires (worse with old tires) and the problem is compounded. I personally wouldn’t drive on drag radials on wet roads. A guy I know almost lost his life because of it.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Mines a daily driver and I went to all seasons (AS3) to make it palatable to drive. I am in So Cal, but our roads are so bad now or under constant construction the OEM GY really sucked and the MPSS would bounce even in dry weather.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
I had a 2013 with the Michelin A/S 3's on it for a couple of years. I really found them to be quite acceptable in the rain. Sounds like road surface issues are in play.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,690 Posts
Some roads accumulate and retain more water than others, so with a fat tire and shallow sipping, you will encounter some amount of hydroplaning. New tires, may or may not help. Slower speeds should help. Tires with deep sipping would work best, but that's not a feature of most high performance summer tires.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
Sounds weird to me... I used to run PS2's, but the last set was MPSS's (in my humble opinion, the PS2's were a FAR better every-day tire), and both tires run fine in the rain... I usually run 70 mph in a heavy rain, and don't slow unless it's getting too hard to see. And this is in Florida where we get the frog-squasher storms.

Maybe you're going too slow, gotta get those tires "up on plane".. ;) (that's a joke of course :) )

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some roads accumulate and retain more water than others, so with a fat tire and shallow sipping, you will encounter some amount of hydroplaning. New tires, may or may not help. Slower speeds should help. Tires with deep sipping would work best, but that's not a feature of most high performance summer tires.
Now that you mention it.....I think it is the Roads. i95 in Dade County Miami is so rough in some areas a 4 wheel drive would have difficulty. Rain makes it that much worse. Once I’m in Broward county it seems much better. Thanks!

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
Our roads and Interstates, for the most part, are deplorable in this country. After having driven in Germany over the last four years, I can attest to how crappy our roads have become. Driving on the autobahns and Bavaria area, it is just a pleasure every time you get behind the wheel. Hope Trump can attack this glaring problem over the next four years.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Our roads and Interstates, for the most part, are deplorable in this country. After having driven in Germany over the last four years, I can attest to how crappy our roads have become. Driving on the autobahns and Bavaria area, it is just a pleasure every time you get behind the wheel. Hope Trump can attack this glaring problem over the next four years.
So funny enough I got into the Youtube rabbit hole a couple months ago and saw something about US roads. I often wondered why our roads constantly get repaved and we still have issues. It turns out the issue is the infrastructure underneat the pavement that is the biggest issues. They cannot keep the under layers from washing away and eroding and sinking and this causes the constant need for the paving to need to be redone.
I never really thought about this before but when i saw the video and pics showing the under infrastructure, it literally looks like stuff from the early 1900's patched over and patched over and patched over multiple layers deep. It was crazy

Reactions: Daniel

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
PM-Performance, you hit the nail on the head. Here are the specifics for thickness of a German Autobahn road compared to all US Interstates: Total depth of American Interstate from base to top = 11 inches. German Autobahn from base to top = 27.57 inches. The German life expectancy before any work is needed to repair = 40 years. American interstates don't even have an estimate. I saw them repairing a section of the autobahn in north eastern Germany and I was astounded at how deep the trough was before it even came up to the unrepaired section. Germans know how to build a road. I'm sure the USA is capable of matching the Germans, but I'm betting that they are not willing to put the money into the system that matches Germany's. They, instead, just put a band-aid covering and think they did a good job. It is deplorable.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
So funny enough I got into the Youtube rabbit hole a couple months ago and saw something about US roads. I often wondered why our roads constantly get repaved and we still have issues. It turns out the issue is the infrastructure underneat the pavement that is the biggest issues. They cannot keep the under layers from washing away and eroding and sinking and this causes the constant need for the paving to need to be redone.
I never really thought about this before but when i saw the video and pics showing the under infrastructure, it literally looks like stuff from the early 1900's patched over and patched over and patched over multiple layers deep. It was crazy
When living in Detroit (the worst roads ever), I joked that the roads were originally built by businesses owned by organized crime, who then diversified their business portfolio into "road repair".. It's been a sweetheart deal for the Mob ever since!!

Road repair and garbage collection, two industries that can survive and thrive in any economy... ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
found out something new today......camber is off on the back. A new set of Michelin’s ruined in 6 months. Went to buy new ones today and was told I may need a new rear axel. I was hit by a motorcycle 6 months ago and it shattered the right rear wheel, the shop replaced one bracket after the accident think they needed to replace more....

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
found out something new today......camber is off on the back. A new set of Michelin’s ruined in 6 months. Went to buy new ones today and was told I may need a new rear axel. I was hit by a motorcycle 6 months ago and it shattered the right rear wheel, the shop replaced one bracket after the accident think they needed to replace more....

View attachment 201285
Is it too late to get insurance to cover this...?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it too late to get insurance to cover this...?
No.....I think Geico is covering it or the shop. They told the geico rep they don’t know how they missed it. I know nothing about this.....could that number cause all these handling problems and tire wear?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
34,830 Posts
No.....I think Geico is covering it or the shop. They told the geico rep they don’t know how they missed it. I know nothing about this.....could that number cause all these handling problems and tire wear?
I don’t know about the handling problems, but tire wear most certainly can be caused by an alignment that’s off due to bent components.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,690 Posts
You should be able to measure run-out on the axle (or the wheel) to determine if it's bent or not. It may be the housing that's bent.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
My son is a professor at the Univ of Miami and on rare occasions I will drive over in the shelby. The roads are terrible and the drivers are worse.
I bought a new set of Nitto G2's for the trip to Shelbyfest last year and hit some torrential rain and had no issues.

Its either dade county rds, your tires or the car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts