Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems most people would agree that our engines, and even the Coyote and Voodoo engines, are beautiful pieces if machinery under the hoods. Except, for that ghastly looking, giant, clear bubble expansion tank staring right in your face every time you pop the hood. I couldn’t stand it on my 2016 GT, and I like it even less on my Shelby, so I did something about it.

About two weeks ago I started looking at all the different options available. Shelby, kinda plain and you pay more for the name. Mishimoto, a bit cheaper but the welds detract from the overall look. UPR, beautifully welded but just another plain box. Covers were out of the question as that seems to me like a bandaid on a compound fracture.

Then, someone on Facebook recommended Radium Engineering. At last, I found a good looking tank. It’s machined from aluminum, doesn’t have unsightly weld lines, and it’s super compact freeing up space in your engine bay. Best of all, it doesn’t look like a cheap 2-liter plastic Coke bottle smacking you in the face when you pop the hood.

Here’s the stock product photo from Radium:

Product Camera lens Automotive lighting Font Auto part

It’s available for all 2015+ S550 models to include the GT350/500. They also have versions available for the 11-14 models as well as the 13/14 GT500s.

Install was pretty straight forward. Step by step instructions can be downloaded and printed from Radium’s website. The tank comes in two pieces which you bolt together with a gasket in between. All hoses and connection are provided. One small nitpick, they incorrectly list the size Allen-head wrenches you’ll need by 1mm for a few bolts, but no biggie. Only thing else you’ll need is some Blue Loctite, a Phillips head, and a few wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, 3/4”, and 1”.

Here’s the final result.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Car Hood

After install you’ll need to get the engine up to operating temp to check for leaks and expansion. There is a clear sight gauge on the left side to see where your coolant level is at a quick glance.

Unfortunately you cannot reuse your stock coolant cap so you’ll need a Type-A 1.5 Bar (21 PSI) cap. It just so happens Radium makes those too and it ties in nicely with their tank.
Best of all, I found this unit for a discounted price at Elite Race Fabrication, a veteran owned shop in North Carolina. They provided fast, free shipping and were very communicative with the status of my order. Radium Engineering 2015+ Ford Mustang GT / Boss 302 / V6 Coolant Tank Kit

Overall I’m quite pleased with this product. I’ve only had two heat cycles on it so far but thankfully no leaks or issues have arisen. Difficulty of install, 2/5. Only con is that the tank does not come with a cap, you have to order it separately. If you want this make sure you get the Type-A cap, not the Type-B that doesn’t fit lol (ask me how I know 😒)

Thanks for reading!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,412 Posts
I dig that Brian… a lot! :love: Hmmmmm…🤔

If I go this route, I just might paint this bracket a body-matching Rapid Red!

Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
2,076 Posts
Good looking piece! The engineering behind the swirl chamber makes perfect sense.
👍

Reactions: Evolvd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys
Question: The Radium Engineering Exp. Tank kit. I am trying to mount it up to my 2021 GT500. The main mount holes do not line up with my radiator cowl where the oem tank was mounted. The radiator mount nuts are 4 5/8" apart. The mount hole on the bracket are 7 1/4" apart. Also, On the rear lower Metal tab is angled in the wrong direction (going towards the firewall) instead of towards the front or down in the provided slot. Directions say nothing about re drilling holes.
I either have the wrong bracket? Or my Radiator cowling is made different from a 2020 gt500. Can someone confirm their mount holes separation ( 4 5/8" )
If yours is the same I will be talking with Radium on Monday. Already to late here (wisconsin) to contact them.
thank you.
Jim O.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it’s because you’re not using the correct part of the bracket to mount to the rad support. It should look like this.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Black Automotive tire

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2011 SVTPP Ingot Silver
281 Posts
Looks like the wrong bracket.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What part number did you receive?

·
Registered
8 Posts
20-0285, now I see, its for a gt500 from 2011 to 14. Shoot. the brackets are different. I suspect the 2020 and 21 bracket will have the holes at 4 5/8" apart. Hope they will sell me the correct bracket only. I don't want to buy a whole kit. I should have caught it before I ordered it. I just saw the gt500 part.

Ok, well, Thanks for the advise

Jim O. "to error is human" I am that for sure then.....

·
Registered
2021 GT 500, 2004 Terminator
59 Posts
It seems most people would agree that our engines, and even the Coyote and Voodoo engines, are beautiful pieces if machinery under the hoods. Except, for that ghastly looking, giant, clear bubble expansion tank staring right in your face every time you pop the hood. I couldn’t stand it on my 2016 GT, and I like it even less on my Shelby, so I did something about it.

About two weeks ago I started looking at all the different options available. Shelby, kinda plain and you pay more for the name. Mishimoto, a bit cheaper but the welds detract from the overall look. UPR, beautifully welded but just another plain box. Covers were out of the question as that seems to me like a bandaid on a compound fracture.

Then, someone on Facebook recommended Radium Engineering. At last, I found a good looking tank. It’s machined from aluminum, doesn’t have unsightly weld lines, and it’s super compact freeing up space in your engine bay. Best of all, it doesn’t look like a cheap 2-liter plastic Coke bottle smacking you in the face when you pop the hood.

Here’s the stock product photo from Radium:

View attachment 231780
It’s available for all 2015+ S550 models to include the GT350/500. They also have versions available for the 11-14 models as well as the 13/14 GT500s.

Install was pretty straight forward. Step by step instructions can be downloaded and printed from Radium’s website. The tank comes in two pieces which you bolt together with a gasket in between. All hoses and connection are provided. One small nitpick, they incorrectly list the size Allen-head wrenches you’ll need by 1mm for a few bolts, but no biggie. Only thing else you’ll need is some Blue Loctite, a Phillips head, and a few wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, 3/4”, and 1”.

Here’s the final result.

View attachment 231782
View attachment 231781
After install you’ll need to get the engine up to operating temp to check for leaks and expansion. There is a clear sight gauge on the left side to see where your coolant level is at a quick glance.

Unfortunately you cannot reuse your stock coolant cap so you’ll need a Type-A 1.5 Bar (21 PSI) cap. It just so happens Radium makes those too and it ties in nicely with their tank.
Best of all, I found this unit for a discounted price at Elite Race Fabrication, a veteran owned shop in North Carolina. They provided fast, free shipping and were very communicative with the status of my order. Radium Engineering 2015+ Ford Mustang GT / Boss 302 / V6 Coolant Tank Kit

Overall I’m quite pleased with this product. I’ve only had two heat cycles on it so far but thankfully no leaks or issues have arisen. Difficulty of install, 2/5. Only con is that the tank does not come with a cap, you have to order it separately. If you want this make sure you get the Type-A cap, not the Type-B that doesn’t fit lol (ask me how I know 😒)

Thanks for reading!
Nice write up, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
653 Posts
I was interested until I saw the Shelby caps won't fit. Construction looks good and the price is decent.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was interested until I saw the Shelby caps won't fit. Construction looks good and the price is decent.
Yeah it’s not for everyone. Personally I can’t stand the Shelby caps. Everyone already knows it’s a Shelby lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,412 Posts
Hi guys
Question: The Radium Engineering Exp. Tank kit. I am trying to mount it up to my 2021 GT500. The main mount holes do not line up with my radiator cowl where the oem tank was mounted. The radiator mount nuts are 4 5/8" apart. The mount hole on the bracket are 7 1/4" apart. Also, On the rear lower Metal tab is angled in the wrong direction (going towards the firewall) instead of towards the front or down in the provided slot. Directions say nothing about re drilling holes.
I either have the wrong bracket? Or my Radiator cowling is made different from a 2020 gt500. Can someone confirm their mount holes separation ( 4 5/8" )
If yours is the same I will be talking with Radium on Monday. Already to late here (wisconsin) to contact them.
thank you.
Jim O.
Hopefully you can get the correct setup for your car. In the meantime, please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one is awesome. I’m with @Evolvd thinking all of the other options looked basically like a jenky alum version barley better than the plastic one 😂
None of them looked nice enough that I would change it out until I saw this one.
I felt the same way man lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts