Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.
Well Winter is here and up here in the North we have to store our cars for the Winter. I have a few questions since this is my first year with my Beloved GT 500.
I have found a great place to store the car , it is heated and i have access to it with a little notice, ( Very trusted Friend) I have bought Garage Dollys to prevent Flat Spots on the tires
and it makes it a lot easier to move around in the garage.
Here are my questions.
1) Should i disconnect the battery ? ( car will not be started until mid March & I left the Window down 1/2 inch so the door will open if the battery goes dead or disconnected )
2) Do i need to do anything special the 1st time i start it up ?
3) How much Gas should i leave in it?
4) How soon after i take it out of Storage should an Oil change and Coolant Flush be done.
5) Should i do a rear Diff fluid change as well?

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,085 Posts
I would not disconnect the battery. Get yourself a battery tender that will keep your battery charged and maintained. Store your car with less than a 1/4 tank of gas. When you take the car out in the spring don't go into boost until you have a fresh tank of gas. The oil change can be done either before you put it away or first thing when you pull it out. I don't think the differential is a winter storage thing,do that whenever.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,370 Posts
You will find varying opinions on the subject. As for the amount of gas... some will say to store it filled while others will say to store it with little gas in the tank. I store my cars with little gas. If you have a full tank, you’ll have to stay out of boost for many, many miles come springtime. In my case, I have cars I rarely drive. If I stored them with full tanks, I would always have “old gas.” I just keep a couple gallons in them at any given time. Putting some Seafoam in the tank helps too. If you have access to non-ethanol gas, it is better when storing a vehicle.

Regarding the battery. You can do a battery tender or pull the battery. If you opt to pull it, you will lose your tune adaptive learning... it will revert back to how it was written and might take some driving in the spring to dial-in depending how far off the tune was when written.

A coolant flush is not needed yearly... wasted $. I do this every few years or even longer.

Diff fluid swaps are not needed yearly. I haven’t done this on any of my cars.

Oil changes... before/after/whenever! Our computers alert after 6 months... I don’t follow that schedule.

On initial startup in the spring, you can hold the accelerator to the floor to turn the motor over without starting. This primes the oil pump in theory. I never worry about this and just start the dang thing.

The 2 most important items:

1. Don’t let your intercooler freeze with straight water in the system (or too much water vs. antifreeze)!

2. Stay out of boost with old gas!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Goose,
In regards to the Battery, I have a tune from BJ. I DONT want to loose anything he has done to my tune . I do have to get a Data Pull for him when i do take it out of storage to Complete my tune ( due to the fact i was in a small accident and had it in the body shop and the time came to store the car and didn't get to complete the tune . I will make sure I run it really low on gas put a Fresh tank before i take the Data Pull for BJ. So if i pull the battery will i loose the Tune? Will i have to reload it from my tuner? Can you explain " you will lose your tune adaptive learning " im not sure what that means, Remember i am new to all this.
Thanks

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,370 Posts
Hi Goose,
In regards to the Battery, I have a tune from BJ. I DONT want to loose anything he has done to my tune . I do have to get a Data Pull for him when i do take it out of storage to Complete my tune ( due to the fact i was in a small accident and had it in the body shop and the time came to store the car and didn't get to complete the tune . I will make sure I run it really low on gas put a Fresh tank before i take the Data Pull for BJ. So if i pull the battery will i loose the Tune? Will i have to reload it from my tuner? Can you explain " you will lose your tune adaptive learning " im not sure what that means, Remember i am new to all this.
Thanks
You never lose your tune removing the battery. What you lose is corrections your computer has done to the tune (adaptive learning) to fix a tune that isn’t quite 100% dialed-in. I am running a Ford Racing tune. The tune is dead-nuts accurate. I have pulled my battery and everything is just as it was with reinstallation. Third party vendors don’t quite have the resources that Ford has and their tunes aren’t always perfect. Your computer will “learn” as it drives for awhile with a new tune. This learned info is stored and uses battery power to maintain it. If you interrupt the power supply, your computer will have to relearn the differences.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,085 Posts
Btw love the demon eyes.

Reactions: Xkalaber

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You never lose your tune removing the battery. What you lose is corrections your computer has done to the tune (adaptive learning) to fix a tune that isn’t quite 100% dialed-in. I am running a Ford Racing tune. The tune is dead-nuts accurate. I have pulled my battery and everything is just as it was with reinstallation. Third party vendors don’t quite have the resources that Ford has and their tunes aren’t always perfect. Your computer will “learn” as it drives for awhile with a new tune. This learned info is stored and uses battery power to maintain it. If you interrupt the power supply, your computer will have to relearn the differences.
Thanks Goose,
I think i am going to pull the battery, I have a lot of faith in BJ... lol
I appreciate all the help .

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would call BJ and ask him about pulling the battery before doing it. I like tenders.

If you are thinking about changing the oil do it before storage. Why would you leave used oil in for the winter and then change it for spring? Leave nice clean oil in all winter.

I am in the camp of a full tank of fuel when storing long-term. Less air space and opportunity for moisture to get in there.

I wouldn't worry about coolant or diff fluid.

Tom

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
58 Posts
For what it’s worth, here’s my routine in Michigan. I change the oil and filter just before storage, I also put in Stabil and top off the tank. The tires I run up to 50 lbs to offset flat spotting. I pull the battery and it goes in the basement on a tender. I put my standard car cover on it, then my car jacket along with some of the humidity packs. The I cry...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, I was able to get a storage place that is indoors and heated for a flat rate of $250 for the Winter ( GREAT Price ) , I bought car Dolley's that are cupped to prevent the flat spots plus its a lot easier to move around in the shop, I Put the car cover on it, I am going to pull the battery next weekend. I am also going to remove the side Mirrors so i can add my Puddle lights with the Cobra Symbol .
I am counting the days until April 1st ( 99 by the way ) , that's when she is coming out....

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,370 Posts
thanks, I was able to get a storage place that is indoors and heated for a flat rate of $250 for the Winter ( GREAT Price ) , I bought car Dolley's that are cupped to prevent the flat spots plus its a lot easier to move around in the shop, I Put the car cover on it, I am going to pull the battery next weekend. I am also going to remove the side Mirrors so i can add my Puddle lights with the Cobra Symbol .
I am counting the days until April 1st ( 99 by the way ) , that's when she is coming out....
That all sounds good! Please make a thread about your puddle light mod. We’d love to see it.

Reactions: Xkalaber

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That all sounds good! Please make a thread about your puddle light mod. We’d love to see it.
Goose, i will make sure to take pictures throughout the entire process. I am hoping to have them completed by this weekend. My wife bought them for a christmas present and I dont know im getting them..lol

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
I always tender the battery. It has never failed me. I always though that if the gas tank is Steel, store the car full to avoid rust inside the tank. If tank is plastic, as in a boat then it doesn't matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts