Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a brief intro before I get to my question:
I love taking the car out for mountain drives and enjoy the twisties as much as the straight line speed. I wanted to reign in the back end a bit so I recently installed a double adjustable panhard bar and double adjustable rear lower control arms on the car. Since I installed these new components I wanted to go ahead and get an alignment performed to ensure nothing is off for my new Michelins.

Problem:
Calling around several places, most shops couldn't even get me in for an alignment for several weeks. I tried a couple of places I have taken other track vehicles before and they are way backed up. So I called several Ford dealerships and this is where things get... questionable.

When asking for an alignment and for a more performance alignment, the poor service personnel sounded absolutely baffled at both dealerships I called. After talking with the alignment techs at both, I got roughly the same answer that they have specific GT500 specs and they would only align to those specs... for around $350. :eek::eek::eek:

For an alignment? Even for performance and track alignments I have never paid that much before.

Thoughts on the pricing and maybe alternative places to take the car? I am not in a hurry, but would like an aligned car for a reasonable price.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
Just as a brief intro before I get to my question:
I love taking the car out for mountain drives and enjoy the twisties as much as the straight line speed. I wanted to reign in the back end a bit so I recently installed a double adjustable panhard bar and double adjustable rear lower control arms on the car. Since I installed these new components I wanted to go ahead and get an alignment performed to ensure nothing is off for my new Michelins.

Problem:
Calling around several places, most shops couldn't even get me in for an alignment for several weeks. I tried a couple of places I have taken other track vehicles before and they are way backed up. So I called several Ford dealerships and this is where things get... questionable.

When asking for an alignment and for a more performance alignment, the poor service personnel sounded absolutely baffled at both dealerships I called. After talking with the alignment techs at both, I got roughly the same answer that they have specific GT500 specs and they would only align to those specs... for around $350. :eek::eek::eek:

For an alignment? Even for performance and track alignments I have never paid that much before.

Thoughts on the pricing and maybe alternative places to take the car? I am not in a hurry, but would like an aligned car for a reasonable price.
I don’t go to the dealer for my GT500 alignments. I go to a track shop. Not sure where you live, but look for a performance/track shop. I don’t recall what it cost, but it wasn’t $350. I’m getting my alignment redone next week.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally I wouldn't either but that really struck me as odd.

The shops I've used in the past have been impacted by the current times... so needing to find a new shop and having a hell of a time... not much is out here where I live.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,247 Posts
Personally I don't trust the dealership, as I have mentioned before on here, couldn't even do a simple oil change correctly, as for an alignment, definitely find someone who knows what they are doing, I put caster/camber plates on mine and they still wanted to put camber bolts cause they apparently didn't know how to use the plates.

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,706 Posts
My local Ford dealership friend in service set my 2008 up a little more aggressively (front tires tilted in at the top), but still within specs for good tire wear.........

^^^Not a lot of tilt, but a little more than normal and it also helps to have 275 tires on 10" rims on the front instead of 255's and 9" rims......

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts