Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was Fords Reason to put the Iron Block in our GT500s? The Ford GT has a 5.4 Aluminum Block, the Stock GT 4.6 has an Aluminum block they are both Modular, same bore same bolt patterns. What was the reasoning? Is the Aluminum 4.6 Block different then the 5.4 Aluminum Block or the 5.4 Iron block and How so?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
What was Fords Reason to put the Iron Block in our GT500s? The Ford GT has a 5.4 Aluminum Block, the Stock GT 4.6 has an Aluminum block they are both Modular, same bore same bolt patterns. What was the reasoning? Is the Aluminum 4.6 Block different then the 5.4 Aluminum Block or the 5.4 Iron block and How so?
I think I read in the past that it was strictly a cost issue. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah, price is one of the biggest factors. look at the cost for a replacement engine for the gt500 is around 14k and for the gt is 33k, ford source the 5.4 iron block from the trucks parts bin. I am sure that saved compared to the block for the gt which is specific

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking there should be plenty of 4.6 Aluminum Blocks in Salvage yards today to drop in the Internals from a GT500. Has anyone done this? Would that be a reasonible thing to do to get the Aluminum block. Cost don't sound like the reason, Cost Differance couldn't be more then about $1,000.00 in making the blocks.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'm thinking there should be plenty of 4.6 Aluminum Blocks in Salvage yards today to drop in the Internals from a GT500. Has anyone done this? Would that be a reasonible thing to do to get the Aluminum block. Cost don't sound like the reason, Cost Differance couldn't be more then about $1,000.00 in making the blocks.

It is all about money.How do you tell the FORD GT owners that the GT500 is $45,000 and the FORD GT is $160,000 with the same motor.I think that would really ruffle some feathers.You can change it out but that isn't how big business works.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ford GT has almost no common parts with any other Car period, Ford or other wise, Internal Engine Parts mostly. Almost everything was Custom made specific for that Car. That means it’s not the Engine that cost that extra $100.000.00. The GT500 has 70% Commonality with the Mustang GT mostly body parts, Glass ECT... The Ford GT Replacement motors are $33K the GT500s are about $16K the 4.6 Stroked to 5.0 are around $9K so the Aluminum Block Don’t Cost all that much more. To not put it in the GT500s is just not a good marketing scheme.

What are the chances of Ford putting a Wolf in a Sheep’s skin in a 09 mustang? IE. A 5.4 Aluminum Block/Blower 550hp and 500tq motor Upgraded Brakes, Tranny, Rear-end, Springs Ect. Basically our cars in a Pony Package Body.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are the chances of Ford putting a Wolf in a Sheep’s skin in a 09 mustang? IE. A 5.4 Aluminum Block/Blower 550hp and 500tq motor Upgraded Brakes, Tranny, Rear-end, Springs Ect. Basically our cars in a Pony Package Body.
Well, my name would definitely be the 1st on this list for this. Funny you say that because I love it when a manufacturer has a suprise/trick up their sleeve and all of a sudden - woooooooooooooooom!!! A 500 hp this and 600 hp that comes out.

2009 is definitely going to be an interesting year because this beast http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyau...uning-phase-engine-and-performance-page2.html is coming out along with a Challenger upgrade package and the Camaro SS. I'm sure the WS6 Trans Am is going to come back as well since they are bringing back the Camaro.

I'm staying with the GT500 but I'm sure Ford does have something up their sleeve (figuratively).:D :D :D

flipmo

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, my name would definitely be the 1st on this list for this. Funny you say that because I love it when a manufacturer has a suprise/trick up their sleeve and all of a sudden - woooooooooooooooom!!! A 500 hp this and 600 hp that comes out.

2009 is definitely going to be an interesting year because this beast http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyau...uning-phase-engine-and-performance-page2.html is coming out along with a Challenger upgrade package and the Camaro SS. I'm sure the WS6 Trans Am is going to come back as well since they are bringing back the Camaro.

I'm staying with the GT500 but I'm sure Ford does have something up their sleeve (figuratively).:D :D :D

flipmo
On this note, does anyone know whether or not Shelby Inc. or Ford is currently considering a hopped-up Mustang of the future or is the Super Snake going to be the ticket for all out performance over the next couple of years representing the Ford performance class?

flip

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
On this note, does anyone know whether or not Shelby Inc. or Ford is currently considering a hopped-up Mustang of the future or is the Super Snake going to be the ticket for all out performance over the next couple of years representing the Ford performance class?

flip
I haven't heard of anything on the order of the SuperSnake. All of the future Stangs that I've heard or read about is around the 400 hp zone. I think the SuperSnake will end up being the ultimate Ford/Shelby product produced.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I heard teh body was going to change in 2010 but don't know how true it is.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I heard teh body was going to change in 2010 but don't know how true it is.

You are correct sir.It is more aggressive looking.:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are correct sir.It is more aggressive looking.:D
Nice. Almost can't wait. That's the thing, we seem to never be satisfied and always want more. 400 hp though! Nahhhh, I don't believe Ford is going to live with that. They can't if they want to be able to compete.

flip

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
A pic of the concept.
Heck Yeah! I love it already. Well, if the hp is what it is, the body will definitely bring attention. It's amazing how these 80s, 90s, concept cars are actually coming to light now. Must be a lot of money in the car designing business.

flip

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Heck Yeah! I love it already. Well, if the hp is what it is, the body will definitely bring attention. It's amazing how these 80s, 90s, concept cars are actually coming to light now. Must be a lot of money in the car designing business.

flip
That car was designed by an Italian if I remember right. I don't have any other pics at hand but I do remember I didn't like the interior.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If that's the next thing, I'm glad I bought my First Car when I did!!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That car was designed by an Italian if I remember right. I don't have any other pics at hand but I do remember I didn't like the interior.
By the looks of passer bys and the car itself, looks Asian to me. Kind of has a G35 look to it. Not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah, I am not to fond of it either.

JJ

·
Registered
645 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh Guys. Now when it actually comes out you probably will have a different opinion. Say colors black, white, blue or red will probably make it more attactable.

I remember when I said that about the Mustang Body before the current (i.e. ahhhh I don't like it, hate it). After a period of time it started looking o.k. and I went out and bought one. Then the current style came out and I said, "I like the old style especially the 2003 and 2004 Cobra with the 390 hp package." Still love that particular Cobra.

Now if Ford makes a 550 hp package with this future body, I'm sure people will be jumping on the band wagon and standing in line for one. I do think this paricular body style will look better without the stripes. But when comparing it to the new Camaro coming out with stripes, it may not look so bad.

We'll see what happens.

flip

1 - 20 of 34 Posts