Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I put my first set of long tube headers on a 500 today.They were a set of 1 3/4" American Racing Headers & matching catted x pipe.First,this is not an install thread,just my opinions on these headers & the installation.Second anything said here is just my opinion & not bashing anything/anyone in particular but it's just my thoughts.Ok,here goes:

CONS:1)the headers are not ceramic coated as they look in every picture I've seen of them so buyer beware,they don't claim them to be as such but going by every advertisement picture I've seen they are shown coated* EXCEPT on their website which does not show them coated.2)They **DO NOT** come with instructions which, for the amount people are paying for them is ,I think,absolutely ridiculous.Now let me state for the record I have installed dozens of long tube headers including nearly 2 dozen 4.6's on every body style of mustang,SN-95,New Edge,Cobra's & S197's so this is definitely not my first rodeo & I pretty much knew what I was getting into but for someone trying this for the first time you're just outta luck.They were not left out by mistake,they DO NOT come with them.3) The lower bolts on the driver's side header are a witch if you leave the K member in (which I did just to see how hard they were with it in place).Let me say something right here & I want to make it clear -this is *NOT A BASH* on American Racing just what I have observed on MANY different header designs /manufacturers. I honestly believe they ALL could do a MUCH better job at making the bolts more accessible,but given the cost of mockup labor,tubing costs for bends that aren't going to make the final setup,etc. I can somewhat understand why they do it but I have also seen times when they could actually SAVE space,tubing & most of all frustration for the installer.

Pro's: The headers are made very well,welds all were complete (you wouldn't believe how many header tubes & h/x pipes I've had to weld up before I could even install them!!!) & also CLEAN with virtually no slag in them,very nice!

Fitment was also great,not close to anything,nothing rubbing.After the other stuff is out of the way (starter,steering shaft,etc.) both headers slid right into place with little fuss which is a testament to the r&d that American Racing put into these (just wish they would give us some bolt room). The header collectors are not angled up or down which is very common on long tubes which make lowered cars suseptable to scrapping the h/x pipe(if they are angled down) or having the h/x pipe rubbing or hitting the floor pan,trans cross member etc if they are angled up.Good job on fitment ARH!

Finally,Installment,as said before,no instructions,hidden bolts,etc. I did this in my shop using a lift,air tools & only me as the installer.I pay careful attention to the time it takes to do all the jobs that come through my shop as to be fair to both my customers & myself & this job from start to finish took almost to the minutes 8 solid hours of work.So there you have it my thoughts on installing headers on a GT500. :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
reminds me of the first and ONLY time I ever ever did or will install headers.

It was circa 1989.

It was a 1980 Camaro originally outfitted with a crappy V6, and I had built a 400 cubic inch small block V8. It was great (I thought at the time). THe headers also were NOT the coated one I had ordered.

The engine bay was empty. THe install took all day it seems, with smashed knuckes (I still have grease tattoos from where there were mashed and smashed). I wanted to plant some dynamite into the ends and light the fuse and watch the whole thing go up in flames. Never again.

I feel your pain. Sounds like this must've been a particularly frustrating install. I'd offer you some refreshment from my fridge...

Attachments

12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it wasn't all THAT bad,I've had much worse!:) I just thought I would warn/educate those who are thinking of trying to install these on what to expect.Thanks for the comments, I know how you feel!!

12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really know,Evolution advertises 30rwhp but I don't have any idea if it's true or not.I wish I did,I've tried to get these guys to dyno before they mod so they know what they gain,but....:(

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don't really know,Evolution advertises 30rwhp but I don't have any idea if it's true or not.I wish I did,I've tried to get these guys to dyno before they mod so they know what they gain,but....:(
Thanks for the write-up, Scott. I bought a set of these from Evolution, and I'm going to my local performance shop this weekend to have them installed. I'm glad I decided against installing them myself. Sounds like my local shop might regret quoting me $400 for the install. :bandit:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just had the same set installed on my car by the person installing my engine and he had the same things to say. No instructions... Took him 4 hours while installing engine, and the drivers side bolts were a pain, basically having to turn them one flat at a time due to lack of room. He said if he knew it was going to be that much work before he took it on he would have told me to pack sand.

We also had to weld in another stainless 02 bung for my wide band A/F gauge. It would be nice if that was an option that could have been ordered from the factory as I had my headers hotjet coated and we had to grind off the coating where the bung was welded.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, Scott. I bought a set of these from Evolution, and I'm going to my local performance shop this weekend to have them installed. I'm glad I decided against installing them myself. Sounds like my local shop might regret quoting me $400 for the install. :bandit:
$400 sounds about right. 8hrs @ $50 per hour

JJ

12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, added a set of my favorite brand of mufflers/axle backs to the 500 today & boy does this combo sound great!! Deep tone,but plenty quiet enough in the cockpit to talk at a normal tone & at WOT it has a roar that you have to hear to appreciate.Alas there were some pretty sustantial modifiying that had to be done,totally out of character for Bassani.I had to notch the pipe to clear the stub on the stock aftercat pipe & I still didn't have clearance between the rear of the muffler & the rear valance panel.I made 2 metal braces to push the valance out a little but when driving the wind/turbulence actually pushed the valance against the muffler again & it started to melt! :shock: I had to actually trim the valance about a 1/4" x 2" with a razor blade to get them to clear.The part # on these is 46075 which,according to Bassani fits the Gt's as well as the GT 500's but it fell way short of their usual quality.They make a "race"muffler which is stated as being LOUD & those mufflers are much smaller than these "street"mufflers.I have put a few sets of these 46075's on the 3v Gt's with NO issues whatsoever but the rear valance is much different.Time to try again Bassani!! As awesome as this setup sounds and IT IS worth the effort,but,it has a lot of unecessary work that could be handled with a little more concern for the final installer in my opinion.:)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well, added a set of my favorite brand of mufflers/axle backs to the 500 today & boy does this combo sound great!! Deep tone,but plenty quiet enough in the cockpit to talk at a normal tone & at WOT it has a roar that you have to hear to appreciate.Alas there were some pretty sustantial modifiying that had to be done,totally out of character for Bassani.I had to notch the pipe to clear the stub on the stock aftercat pipe & I still didn't have clearance between the rear of the muffler & the rear valance panel.I made 2 metal braces to push the valance out a little but when driving the wind/turbulence actually pushed the valance against the muffler again & it started to melt! :shock: I had to actually trim the valance about a 1/4" x 2" with a razor blade to get them to clear.The part # on these is 46075 which,according to Bassani fits the Gt's as well as the GT 500's but it fell way short of their usual quality.They make a "race"muffler which is stated as being LOUD & those mufflers are much smaller than these "street"mufflers.I have put a few sets of these 46075's on the 3v Gt's with NO issues whatsoever but the rear valance is much different.Time to try again Bassani!! As awesome as this setup sounds and IT IS worth the effort,but,it has a lot of unnecessary work that could be handled with a little more concern for the final installer in my opinion.:)
Scott,

This Bassani issue came up quite a while ago. The axle-backs that fit the Mustang GT do not fit the GT500. They are supposed to have a slightly different version for the GT500. I've got the Bassani 54075 axle-backs on my Shelby and they fit just fine. Just over 1/4" of clearance between the muffler and the valance and no melting.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959&highlight=Bassani

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have the bassani's 3" exhaust from the stock exhaust manifold back. no cats and with race mufflers. True fit! No problems what-so-ever, sound great! If you click on the video in my sid. It is a sound clip of the exhaust!!! I didn't go with the long tubes because of the hassel that is sounds like, but might do it later!

JJ

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah,the race mufflers look like they will fit fine it's the street version that is the pain as they are designed for the regular 3v GT's & the valance is different on the 500's
here is a pic of the race mufflers....plenty of room.

JJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts