Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to pose a few questions for anyone that can help...because I am hearing different stuff everywhere I go.

What determines how many Shelbys a dealer will get? Do SVT dealers get more?
Are the production numbers still about 8000 this year?
How many years will they build them?
Obviously, I am trying to figure out how long prices are going to stay $20K over sticker which is all I am seeing/hearing from dealers and ebay. My theory was that they would eventually come down to MSRP, am I wrong? I have only bought an SVT new once - a 2002 Lightning and did not pay over sticker (with a trade in). I have read of guys buying for MSRP, is it because they ordered so early on with a deposit? Did these dealers not realize what is now going on?

I would appreciate any opinions as to the best way to purchase a GT500.
Also, has anybody got one with the stripe delete option and will that hurt the value?
Thanks!!!!

·
Banned
70 Posts
I'd like to pose a few questions for anyone that can help...because I am hearing different stuff everywhere I go.

Obviously, I am trying to figure out how long prices are going to stay $20K over sticker which is all I am seeing/hearing from dealers and ebay. My theory was that they would eventually come down to MSRP, am I wrong? I have only bought an SVT new once - a 2002 Lightning and did not pay over sticker (with a trade in). I have read of guys buying for MSRP, is it because they ordered so early on with a deposit? Did these dealers not realize what is now going on?

Also, has anybody got one with the stripe delete option and will that hurt the value?
Thanks!!!!
Let me tell you how the experts find out the answers to all those questions. You take a clean quarter and give it a toss with your thumb. Catch it in your hand and turn it over. You know the rest. Now you're an expert like the rest of us. ( expert= X is an unknown, SPURT= a drip under pressure. An expert is an unknown drip under pressure )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks -
But I know there are some who have some opinions on these topics and I know there are others who want to purchase.

·
Registered
171 Posts
candc:

I am fairly new to this site and have not had a lot of input. I think everyone on here could tell you a different story. No one can tell you what to do, because we don't know. I found a dealer to do my deal at $200 under MSRP. I have it in writing, but until I have the car in my garage, I won't believe I really got that deal. There are other deals from MSRP to probabaly $20,000 or more over. You need to find the best deal you can live with and afford. I know if my deal falls thru, I won't get one until I can get it for MSRP.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Thanks!!!!

I'll give it a try...

All Shelby Certified dealers get 1 + Share Of Nation allocation (~3,600 total?)
Full-Line SVT Dealers get an additional 2 (~600 dealers)
SVT-Focus dealers get an additonal 1 (~300 dealers)
President's Award winning dealers get and additional 1 (~350 dealers)

Share of nation is determined by prior-year mustang sales, so big dealers get a larger portion of the share of nation.

Ex: A Full-Line SVT dealer who got a Pres Award will get 4 + SON (Something like that anyway)

Production Numbers: Last I heard it was ~9,000 for 2007 MY.

Production Years: 2007, 2008 with an option for 2009. I think 2009 is pretty much a guarantee.

I think if you're willing to wait for a 2008, you should be able to get one at or near MSRP.

I think most people who got theirs at or near MSRP either got lucky or knew someone. I got mine for $2K over MSRP from a very small non-SVT dealer. Placed my order in March 07. They said the extra $2K was to pay for the certification costs since they are getting just one Shelby. They also said they would not gouge because word travels fast in a small town, but I don't think they realized the hype that would come with this car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks -
But I know there are some who have some opinions on these topics and I know there are others who want to purchase.
Welcome Candc, It has been hashed out here on this site over and over. So many factors come into play. If you think you are going to buy this car now with $20,000 over MSRP and sell it 5 years from now for the same price, I would say invest in a 5% CD and do better. History shows a great pattern, as any car that has been modified outside the norm of typical production is valued as a collector in due time. Also, any car that has a supercharger, Turbo, or any special induction system (2-4's 3-2's whatever), are the collectibles. If you're 90 years old and think this is the answer to your retirement, you have made a big mistake. However, your grandson maybe sitting pretty. I look at it this way - a candle burns brightest just before it dies - this, I think (THE SHELBY) is the last WHO-RAH as far as horse power verses fuel economy for Ford. I hope I'm wrong, but with fuel as it is do I need to lecture. DO IT IF YOU REALLY WANT IT.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I'll give it a try...

All Shelby Certified dealers get 1 + Share Of Nation allocation (~3,600 total?)
Full-Line SVT Dealers get an additional 2 (~600 dealers)
SVT-Focus dealers get an additonal 1 (~300 dealers)
President's Award winning dealers get and additional 1 (~350 dealers)

Share of nation is determined by prior-year mustang sales, so big dealers get a larger portion of the share of nation.

Ex: A Full-Line SVT dealer who got a Pres Award will get 4 + SON (Something like that anyway)

Production Numbers: Last I heard it was ~9,000 for 2007 MY.

Production Years: 2007, 2008 with an option for 2009. I think 2009 is pretty much a guarantee.

I think if you're willing to wait for a 2008, you should be able to get one at or near MSRP.

I think most people who got theirs at or near MSRP either got lucky or knew someone. I got mine for $2K over MSRP from a very small non-SVT dealer. Placed my order in March 07. They said the extra $2K was to pay for the certification costs since they are getting just one Shelby. They also said they would not gouge because word travels fast in a small town, but I don't think they realized the hype that would come with this car.

Hope this helps.

Amen brother,enough said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's input. I am 34 and all I want this car for is a toy. I love Mustangs and have owned 4, lastly a 92 LX 5.0. I will take great care of this car and recognize the collectable status it will have so I don't plan on modifying it whatsoever. I figure the value will appreciate one day but it will be a while. My experience is that toys, unlike real estate tend to depreciate. Thats why I hate to pay over sticker now, no offense to anyone who did. My theory has always been that they would come down but I did'nt know how many others agreed. I remember the Thunderbirds remake and the pricing games with them at the time - I know they are vastly different cars however. I guess I will have to wait until next year.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately CANDC if you want it now:) ....You have to pay the man:( .......It sucks but what else are you gonna do with the money?:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts