Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All right, here are some pics of my pulley swap I did this afternoon. It took me longer than I thought. One tip is use antisieze on the main bolt for install of the new pulley. I almost fused the nut and bolt together an had to re-tap/die both. I am sure most of you have done this or seen it before.
1. The LFP puller is top notch and is very easy to use, with good instructions.

2.Mount it up and start pullin. The POP is pretty early and wakes you up.

3.Once you get it goin it pretty much comes striaght off

4.No damage to the stock pulley

5.Now time for the 2.6'' pulley from EVO

6.It takes a little more efort to push the new one on, so use some anti-sieze on the mian bolt. Make sure to stabilize the bolt...it must not rotate while crankin the nut! Also had to breakl for a beer to get more energy to finish the job.

7.Crank till flush with hub

8.Replace plastic hub cover, and reinstall belt. I choose to also install the Metco heavy duty idler, not stealth but is good insurance.

Also replaced the plugs with some NGK-TR6s, retuned and started her and no problems.

After driving it a few times I did notice the outer edge of the SC belt looked a little irritated, not in a big way. It's just not as smooth as the inner edge now. Hopefully nothing to worrie about.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It would have been easier to get off AND reinstall with a heat gun... makes it a piece of cake. Doesn't take much heat either. Did mine Wed night.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had forgotten about tucking the belt into the vent hoses, i did that to, prevented having to rerun it. great post, good pics, and i have GOT to get one of the special tools, the blonde ale, did that come in your LFP kit!??!?! i need to call them..... LOL. Have fun with her, the 14psi boost makes quite a difference!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a blast to drive with the SC winding up alot sooner now. I did notice that the outer facing edge of the SC belt is a little irritated, not smoooth like the inner edge. Is there something to that or just par for the course?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You forgot half the steps!!!

1. Open Hood
2. Open Beer
3. Open Toolbox
4. Sip Beer
5. Check on Beer supply
6. Sip Beer
7. Take out the LFP Puller
8. Repeat Step 4 every other step..

Congrats on the pulley swap - what took you so long!

·
Registered
994 Posts
when i put my pulley on, (I have the LFP quick change 2.6) i noticed that you have to be very particular in getting the new pulley, or in my case, the collar, seated all the way, if you have a little bit of misalignment there, it MIGHT cause that wear on the edge of the belt. I'd pay attention to it and if its not getting worse, should be ok. IMO, of course, but then, i do tend to be a bit anxious with my baby too, lol.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i put my pulley on, (I have the LFP quick change 2.6) i noticed that you have to be very particular in getting the new pulley, or in my case, the collar, seated all the way, if you have a little bit of misalignment there, it MIGHT cause that wear on the edge of the belt. I'd pay attention to it and if its not getting worse, should be ok. IMO, of course, but then, i do tend to be a bit anxious with my baby too, lol.
Since it is on the outside I might have the new pulley on too far in, yet the pulley hub is flush with the SC shaft.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
make sure the belt isn't rubbing the front lip of the idler pulley below the intercooler hoses. mine was rubbing there and eating belts. If you look at your belt from the pass side, you'll be able to see if its coming off the SC pulley straight and even. On TVS SC's, the pulley sits further back on the shaft for proper alignment (not flush). On stocker SC with just pulley change, im not sure. pic's show the pulley, where the belt was rubbing, and after corrected.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
On TVS SC's, the pulley sits further back on the shaft for proper alignment (not flush). .
I did not know that Keith, do any installation instructions reflect that?
I wonder how many other people mounted the pulley flush, for that matter, do any of the installer tools let you go beyond flush?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
make sure the belt isn't rubbing the front lip of the idler pulley below the intercooler hoses. mine was rubbing there and eating belts. If you look at your belt from the pass side, you'll be able to see if its coming off the SC pulley straight and even. On TVS SC's, the pulley sits further back on the shaft for proper alignment (not flush). On stocker SC with just pulley change, im not sure. pic's show the pulley, where the belt was rubbing, and after corrected.
Thanks mph, I checked the idler and all is clear. The belt seems ok for now. I ran the car hard yesterday and it does not seem the belt is getting stressed or rubbed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Could explain my situation....She ate the belt yesterday!!!! Only the S/C belt, the other one looks fine although it did come off. Replacing both belts today just in case it has some damage I am not seeing. I'll have to check the belt alignment now that you have mentioned this. Pulley is flush on stock S/C. Thanks for pics.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I did not know that Keith, do any installation instructions reflect that?
I wonder how many other people mounted the pulley flush, for that matter, do any of the installer tools let you go beyond flush?
no..instructions dont reflect. i believe i went 1/16 past, but could go a bit more to 1/8. The TVS snout is a bit longer than stock, which requires the pulley to be further on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the same puller, it works very well. They need to machine a different set of clamshells for the smaller pullies. It can BARELY get the 2.6 off, a 2.2 is out of the question.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After reading about belts fraying after the pulley install, I think I will take some reference measurements between the stock pulley and the SC case so I can line up the new pulley dead on where the stock one sat in relation to the belt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts