Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a somewhat of a novice handle the install of these two mods?? I have installed cai's on my other vehicles and shifters etc...pretty much the extent to mod ability...willing to learn thou. I'm thinking of tackling them today to save my guy some time. How long would you guess for both??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Can a somewhat of a novice handle the install of these two mods?? I have installed cai's on my other vehicles and shifters etc...pretty much the extent to mod ability...willing to learn thou. I'm thinking of tackling them today to save my guy some time. How long would you guess for both??
I had never installed a CAI before, and I installed mine in about 15 minutes. Super simple job. As for the pulley, I've never done that either, but it can't be that hard as long as you've got the right pulley puller/installer.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Some tips if you decide to do it.

1) Don't grab the back of your stock pulley with the puller. You will more than likely damage it. Grab it behind the front edge. Much more "meat" to pull on. I know, because I bent mine. When you heat the new pulley, make sure it is good and hot. The hotter it is the easier it will go on. You don't want it red hot though.

2) When you clamp the carbon fiber tube, clamp it at the sides, not in the middle. If the worm gear of the clamp is on top and in the middle you can bend or break it.

3) Make sure your belt is on properly before you start your car. Take a little extra time and take a look underneath to make sure it is on all pulleys properly.

Hope that helps.

Good luck. Have fun.:bandit:

Cal

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! CAI seems like a breeze...pulley, I might hold off on that. Is heating mandatory or just a learned step thru experience...I don't have anything to heat it up. Maybe I can throw it on the grill...:ack: joking!!

I bought one of Fred's pullers......:)

If I just install the CAI should I upload EVO's tune...or just leave it as is and not go into boost (yeah I have been in boost already)?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Thanks guys! CAI seems like a breeze...pulley, I might hold off on that. Is heating mandatory or just a learned step thru experience...I don't have anything to heat it up. Maybe I can throw it on the grill...:ack: joking!!

I bought one of Fred's pullers......:)

If I just install the CAI should I upload EVO's tune...or just leave it as is and not go into boost (yeah I have been in boost already)?
Believe it or not, the instructions call for you to heat it in the oven. I would heat it at least 100 degrees hotter.

I think Fred provides you with (2) tunes. One for just the CAI and the other for CAI and pulley.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Believe it or not, the instructions call for you to heat it in the oven. I would heat it at least 100 degrees hotter.

I think Fred provides you with (2) tunes. One for just the CAI and the other for CAI and pulley.
Hmmm...I might have to call in some recruits for the pulley swap. I guess my handheld will tell me if I have 2 tunes...

·
Registered
489 Posts
1268, I had my pulley installed by a guy that had done a few Shelbys before and he did not apply heat first. I think if the heat makes it easier, and you want to do it yourself, then you should heat it! Make it as easy on yourself as possible! Good luck!

One other thing, the guy that put mine on was a GIANT!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Some tips if you decide to do it.

1) Don't grab the back of your stock pulley with the puller. You will more than likely damage it. Grab it behind the front edge. Much more "meat" to pull on. I know, because I bent mine. When you heat the new pulley, make sure it is good and hot. The hotter it is the easier it will go on. You don't want it red hot though.

2) When you clamp the carbon fiber tube, clamp it at the sides, not in the middle. If the worm gear of the clamp is on top and in the middle you can bend or break it.

3) Make sure your belt is on properly before you start your car. Take a little extra time and take a look underneath to make sure it is on all pulleys properly.

Hope that helps.

Good luck. Have fun.:bandit:

Cal

I really don't understand people saying they had to heat up their pulley to install??

Mine went right on, and it has been on for 10,000 miles with no problems?

·
Registered
795 Posts

Cal, i wasn't aware there was a new tune requirement for the 08 pulley install. And mines sitting home waiting on me. Expound further.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cal, i wasn't aware there was a new tune requirement for the 08 pulley install. And mines sitting home waiting on me. Expound further.:thinkerg:
Yeah for either a CAI or pulley swap you need a new tune. More power/more boost...= new tune.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I bought the pulley puller from lethalperformance. It grabs the pulley by the ribs so it won't damage the pulley. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll post results as soon as I do.

To expand on Cal's comments, the carbon fiber CAI tube is quite brittle. Too much pressure can crack it. You don't have to tighten the clamps very much at all...just enough to keep it from moving around. The friction of the rubber boot on the smooth CF will keep it in place with minimal pressure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The 08 pulley you are referring to is the Harmonic balancer, which DOES NOT require a new tune.

Yeah for either a CAI or pulley swap you need a new tune. More power/more boost...= new tune.
The pulley referred to here is the Supercharger pulley, not the harmonic balancer pulley.

Just making a clarification.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys...the instructions are nice...going to print them out.

Hey...where is the tuner port. I assumed it was under the dash by the pedals like on my 03??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1 - 20 of 123 Posts