Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so FINALLY got the stock pulley off but now have run into yet another problem. The pully was extremely hard to get off and once it did come off I noticed that about the first half inch of threads in the blower shaft are stripped and the small bolt that threads into the shaft is now stuck in the large welded pulley removal bolt. I don't have a vice, but I'm sure if I can get to one I'll be able to remove the small bolt and replace it with a new one. As for the threads that are stripped, does anyone have any suggestions? I think if I could hold the blower shaft still I could thread the bolt in until it reached the good threads and threaded the rest of the way, but I can't figure out a way to hold the blower shaft tight enough to accomplish this. Is there any other way to install the replacement pulley with using the tool? Not having a happy experience so far with this "simple" project. If anyone is in the Tampa Bay area and thinks they could help out maybe Monday sometime, let me know as I'd be willing to pay for your services.

·
Registered
238 Posts
out of curiosity, what year do you have?

I might be doing a pulley installation in the next couple months and Ive heard its an easy process but apparently it can be difficult in some situations.

what pulley / pulley tool did you get?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Join the club, here's what mine looked like after my first try, I didn't even get as far as you did. :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a 2009 and I used the Metco I got from JLT. I cant rethread the welded bolt into the blower snout due to the first few threads being stripped on the blower snout so cant push on the new pulley. Anyone know if you can replace the snout without taking off and sending in the whole blower????

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
You are so close to VMP,See if he has his pullers ready-Best design yet.The only bad thing I ever got from JLT was a pulley puller-Other than that a stellar company!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
First, if the threads in the snout got stripped durning removal of the pulley, you were not using the tool correctly. I can see from the photos that the tool is of inferior quality but during removal, there is near ZERO stress on the small threads inside the snout. Even if you can get a bolt threaded into what remains of those threads, they will not be strong enough to pull the pulley on. You need to remove the blower and have the pulley pressed on after removing the snout from the blower. Your only real option at this point.

Next, if you bent the bolt into a curve like that you were not loading the bolt evenly and it was not snug up against the end of the snout. A higher quality tool would have helped a bunch here with finer threads and a higher grade steel.

You got a real mess on your hands but nothing a competent mechanic and machine shop can't work past, just more work than you planned.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jcthorne...thanks for the advice, but those photos werent posted by me and arent of the tool I used. My tool isn't damaged, but the last three or four threads inside the sniut are: not sure why this happened other than the amount of force that was required to pull off stock pulley????

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I agree with Joe. You'll need to acquire a tap to chase the clean the threads in the blower shaft.

Also, I see no mention of the use of anti-seize!
These pullers are under such stress that they generate a large amount of heat. With enough pressure/stress the bolts can cold weld and cause all kinds of problems.

Anti-seize helps prevent this.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I agree with Joe. You'll need to acquire a tap to chase the clean the threads in the blower shaft.

Also, I see no mention of the use of anti-seize!
These pullers are under such stress that they generate a large amount of heat. With enough pressure/stress the bolts can cold weld and cause all kinds of problems.

Anti-seize helps prevent this.
+1 but add quality cutting oil to the mix when attempting to redress the threads. I managed to salvage mine with this method. I feel the quality of the removal/installation tool is key in this upgrade along with proper use. Be sure to seat the bolt into the snout as far as possible to grab good threads. Since you are getting a new bolt, try and get one that will accomplish this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shlbysvt...how did you hold the blower hub still while you redressed the threads? Also, would you mind telling me which tap and size you used and which tool to install the new pulley please?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Shlbysvt...how did you hold the blower hub still while you redressed the threads? Also, would you mind telling me which tap and size you used and which tool to install the new pulley please?
I did not have a problem with the blower rotating as the tap did not require very much cutting rotating force. If yours does I would reccomend a strap wrench. I do not know where I put the tap so I am at a loss as to the exact size. I did grind off the snout of the tap as to go deeper into the snout of the blower. There is a name for that type of tap but I am having a senior moment. Since I could not find one I just ground down the end of a standard tap. I used the original installation tool (07 Shelby's version of the Metco) as the install process goes alot better than the removal. As previously mentioned, be sure to use antiseize on the snout to assist on the install process. From the sounds of it, your damage is no worse than mine was and I am sure it will all work out. Plan B for me was to remove the blower, replace the snout and have it ported in the process.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Any time I need an unknown bolt or nut size, I take what I have to my favorite hardware store and try some on. You have the bolt, so take it and find a nut to fit; that'l give you the bolt size, etc for your tap size.

Good luck with the repair!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had ran into problems doing mine as well. Went through 2 1/2 tools and 2 pulleys. I’m guessing some are just tighter than others. A month before I did mine we did a friends with the same tool and his was cake. In the end I took off the front “snout” of the SC and took it to a press and had the pulley pressed the final ¼” on. (Last tool broke leaving ¼ more to go) Took 2 minutes on the press, wish I would have done that from the start.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
Mine was tighter than a *&^%$. I bruised both my hands on the wrenches, but I finally put enough behind it to hear that giant POP. I thought I broke the tool, but all worked out the first go around. I used the puller from VMP that grabs the ribs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, VMP's style puller works far better. I have one similar from AutoSpecialties and have used it on 5 cars now and mine twice. (I now run a 2.2 which is not coming off)

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
So a 2.2.... That's like running on the shaft of the blower right :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, had the car towed to a buddys shop and he rethreaded the snout and installed the pulley for me. Must say, it's a different animal with the cai, pulley and JLT canned tune...sure a dyno tune would be even better. On a side note, my buddy used a bearing instead of just the supplied washer when installing the new pulley which he said made a world of difference and would probably assist in the removal as well. Thank you to everyone for all the replies and answers to my questions. Somehow the little plastic screw in shaft cover was lost, anyone know where to get another?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
It is a standard plug that dealerships carry. I damaged mine and brought it to my dealership and he matched it up. If you know of anyone with a GT500, take theirs to the dealship and I am sure they will have it in stock. Purely cosmetic but I know how you feel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts