Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pics are from a guy’s FB post... he said he used a pressure washer and his stripes failed. He said he was going in for a warranty claim. 😬 🙄🤔

3291956C-D3F8-4982-935E-CCA936C1CB10.jpeg
8633D5AE-B274-4CF2-A3AD-BA2C98037882.jpeg
3633E628-A44B-447B-BFCB-67831C81816B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
That’s sucks! Don’t see that claim going through.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
240 Posts
OK well this is kind of misinformation.

The problem being that most off the rack pressure washers have too much power via their cheap tips. Buy good tips with proper nozzle size that provide appropriate flow for your pressure washer and this won't be an issue. You want more GPM (cleaning units) and less overall pressure.

See link for pressure washer nozzle sizes spreadhsheet.

I pressure wash mine, it has vinyl stripes, but know to keep the wand far enough away and also to use a tip with a 2.5 orifice which is what is recommended for my specific washer for car cleaning. I also use a stubby wand. This person obviously got right up on the stripes with a 15 or 25 degree tip (or wrong nozzle size), probably with a fairly high powered washer.

By the way, a good vinyl shop will charge maybe $150 to replace those stripes.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Never pressure wash your car. What would the reason be to do that. Pressure washers force water into places you don't want water to go. Anyone pressure washing your car do at your own risk. I don't care how careful you are stuff happens.

Reactions: msirach

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
240 Posts
To each their own, of course, but hard to reach areas like wheels, grilles, especially the lower parts of the car benefit from pressure washing. I've never had a single problem in decades of doing it this way. Stand far enough away with the wand and you're likely to get more of a high pressure heavy mist than something coming straight out of your hose spigot which, in my case, is a wall of pressurized water.

·
Registered
2021 Black on order.
31 Posts
I always pressure wash my car. I just traded in my 3 1/2 year car (black) and it looked brand new.
The one I use is 1800 PSI and i stand a foot away from the paint.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 delivered 10/15/20, 2015 50th GT Conv.,39 Caddy Cp, 67 Caddy conv, 67 Vette roadster.
246 Posts
I always pressure wash my car. I just traded in my 3 1/2 year car (black) and it looked brand new.
The one I use is 1800 PSI and i stand a foot away from the paint.
I know not to use high power spray to wash our cars. I have a friend that washed a bunch of mud off his four wheeler with a pressure cleaner and we spent the next couple of days taking electrical plugs apart to dry them, not fun.
Lou

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
321 Posts
The Shelby was in a car wash after I got it cuz I wanted to get the underside blasted since I drove it home (300 miles) in wet, sloppy, melted snow/sleet, and I didn't know if the roads had been salted or not.
Barring something else similar, it won't be in another car wash. Detail spray is my friend.

Reactions: RockChalk

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
Rule #1 never use pressure washers on vinyl stripes.
Rule #2 never use carnauba wax near vinyl stripes.

I'm guessing he never owned a striped car?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I pressure wash my car every time. Every detailing company in Atlanta pressure washes cars.

That being said you can't go around doing it with 15 degree tips 4" from the paint/stripes.

Reactions: nickf2005

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500
28 Posts
Unfortunately I live in a part of the country where farmers track mud on the road.. if I find myself not being able to avoid it.. I’ll zip into the local coin op and hose the mud off if it’s bad enough.. if it’s not mud it’s a whirlwind of dust

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
929 Posts
The Shelby was in a car wash after I got it cuz I wanted to get the underside blasted since I drove it home (300 miles) in wet, sloppy, melted snow/sleet, and I didn't know if the roads had been salted or not.
Barring something else similar, it won't be in another car wash. Detail spray is my friend.
Yep.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 FPB Handling Package
69 Posts
I got myself a pressure washer for washing. First of all, I can say he was probably using a direct spray rather than a wide spread nozzle. Secondly, STAND BACK! If you're cautious about your stripes but must pressure wash them, I recommend staying clear of the edges and doing it with the direction of the stripes.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I saw "PSA" and pressure washer and thought YIKES!!! My doctor never used a pressure washer to check my PSA level!!!

R

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Just wait til some of you guys find out I open the hood and pressure wash the engine bay. o_O

{with a few minor precautions of course)

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang GT500
110 Posts
Dang! That really sucks! I don’t pressure wash my car...but it’s still good to know just in case I ever have it detailed by someone else.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350- Race Red/White stripes
60 Posts
Never owned a pressure washer. Don't ever want one. Now that I see these pics, I will never even borrow one. 😁

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never owned a pressure washer. Don't ever want one. Now that I see these pics, I will never even borrow one. 😁
They are a great tool for a home owner. I’ve had one for a long time, I just don’t use it on vehicles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts