Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Protection of OEM CF Wheels--Insurance and Otherwise

2020+ 
4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  MadMax81 
#1 ·
Greetings All!

Depending on how I elect to take my order for a 2022 GT500, I may end up with the CFTP. One of my concerns (along with the lack of backseats) is the cost and durability of the OEM Carbon Fiber Wheels.

Based on your experience please let me know your feelings on the following:

1. If an OEM Carbon Fiber Wheel is damaged on the road (pothole, flying road debris, etc., but not user error such as curb rash) such that it must be replaced or sent for profession repair, will a standard auto insurance policy handle the cost? The answer here based on my research is "Yes" because this is OEM equipment on the car from the factory. The only cause should be the applicable deductible under the insurance policy. Such a wheel is not an aftermarket modification, etc.

2. Are you aware of any supplemental insurance which can be purchased to cover curb rash, stone hits, etc. for these wheels? I have seen the excellent Goose17 repair video, but I'm wondering if there is any insurance coverage that makes sense here.

3. For those few CFTP Owners that remove their OEM Carbon Fiber wheels and replace them with other wheels, other than the factory Base wheels, which wheels are you using? Photos would be appreciated.

Thank you for your efforts!

See less See more
#2 ·
I see posts all over social media about the CF wheels being “fragile” and that they will crack, snap, explode, melt, bla, bla, bla…

This is unfounded fear. I drive the crap out of my CFTP both at the track and on the streets. I treat my CF wheels no differently than the aluminum wheels on my other Mustangs. I avoid curbs, pot holes and debris. The wheels are stout! They do not bend though like a metal wheel does. Therefore if you slide sideways into a curb, they will fracture. I’ve hit holes in the roads… nothing major and I haven’t had any problems. The lightweight/stiff wheels are a major benefit to the CFTP package. To remove them out of fear is to somewhat neuter the car.

As for insurance, Ford offered the wheel/tire package for 2020 CFTPs, but eliminated it for 2021+. Not sure how your general insurance would handle a dorked up CF wheel.

#3 ·
Goose: As always, you make excellent points. Nevertheless, the cost of one OEM Carbon Fiber Wheel is the rough equivalent of the cost of an entire set of HRE wheels--not to mention the downtime involved if a Carbon Fiber Wheel must be replaced or repaired. In for a penny, in for a pound, but if there are some steps I can take that make sense, I would give it serious consideration. For example, I will ask my PPF peeps if they want to put something on the outside edges of the Wheels.

#4 ·
Bemaro Films sells precut PPF kits for the wheels.

#5 ·
Goose makes excellent points And you can see in his videos that he’s pushing the performance envelope on his car at the track. I personally don’t believe any insurance company will cover the wheels. Ford opted out for a reason. Don't spend your money on a CFTP option if you are going to change the wheels and add a back seat. Just go with the base option and add any handling package if offered at the time, but I don’t think they have one this year.

#8 ·
To add what Tim spoke of I talked to my insurance company in depth about this and I was told if the car had the factory option of these type of wheels they would be covered and they assured me and I even gave them pricing from the dealership on pricing and was told the same it would be covered. I’ve had the same fear you speak of and on my other 21 I had signature wheels and they are nice but take it from me don’t take the wheels off they are sexy wheels and there are no wheels that come close to the beauty of these wheels. I had instant regret taking them off. If anything take the cup2s off and get some 4s to daily or more street friendly that’s what I would recommend.

#14 ·
Agree with this. I have been thinking about getting some 4s tires for mine after coming back from the GT500 track attack. Those tires handled great in the rain on the track. Thought I could sell the cup2s to someone that will use them for what they were intended for before I wear them down just driving around.

#17 ·
#9 ·
If it’s going to be a daily driver you may not want to get them. You’ll be worried about damage, being stolen, etc. Otherwise their performance, looks and feel make the car more special and you’ll be glad you did.

#10 ·
That’s my biggest worry, thieves can have those wheels off in seconds in a parking lot, and they will just drop the car after taking them causing more damage..
I used to belong to a car club everything from Shelby’s to Bugatti, we were in Houston and a guy showed up at the meet spot before the drive in a brand new Lamborghini Perfomanti with a huge dent in his hood, he said he stopped at Academy to get a small ice chest to put some cold drinks in, when he came out he found a 300 lb woman laying on his hood while her husband took pictures. I’ve never left one of my cars in a parking lot alone since because I’d be in jail for killing two people.

#26 ·
Interested in selling your SC2s?

Reactions: AZ21GT500
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.