Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune

~18 lbs boost, 93 octane + Torco (~100 octane)

71.6 deg F, 18% humidity, 6,000 ft elevation

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Prez...that is insane.

Congratulations!

I was wondering what had happened to you. Now I know.

Arbour88

·
Registered
658 Posts
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune

Damn respectable numbers there Rick! Now can you make all that "umph" hook up?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Damn respectable numbers there Rick! Now can you make all that "umph" hook up?
I have a similar setup with 3.73's and the FRPP suspension...1st is a write-off but second is manageable and near the middle of 3rd you can stand on it hard..drag radials will be the next investment....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Nice job Rick. How does the Mrs. handle this monster?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have a similar setup with 3.73's and the FRPP suspension...1st is a write-off but second is manageable and near the middle of 3rd you can stand on it hard..drag radials will be the next investment....
With my 2.07 second gear and a 3.73 rear, coming out in second is what I will shoot for. Will save a shift as well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This missus loves it. It is very drivable. Miles better than the old Evo Stage 4 setup. Jon Lund can make it feel any way you want it. It's super easy to just cruise around town, and when you want power, it's there in a heartbeat.

Having to run Torco is a bit of a pain (and expensive @ $250/5-gal), but I don't mind

Here are a couple of videos. The first is mine, and teh second is Scott's (SLGT750)

SLGT750

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Simply AWESOME!

Who did all the install work for those goodies?

How LOUD is the exhaust with those headers?

When did you get the new wheels?

TD

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

Hey Rick, do you have to run Torco or is that the way Jon set it up, and what ratio due you use? Keep us up to date with your set up as I have been entertaing the Whipple. Do you notice much of a heat difference with the screw type SC?

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

Rock & roll there pal. Congrats. Sounds like a call to one Mr. Mickey Thompson is in order.

Isn't Lund the best?

Be well-

bj

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simply AWESOME!

Who did all the install work for those goodies?

How LOUD is the exhaust with those headers?

When did you get the new wheels?

TD
I did all the install myself, except the headers. The exhaust can be described as...well...ear splitting. Under full throttle it screams like a banshee. Old ladies keel over and moms rush to bring their kids in doors. Surprisingly, it's not too bad cruising at highway speed. Nice low rumble.

I got the new wheels last Thanksgiving. A guy on TS sold me the rims and tires. They're 19" CCW 505a wheels and BFG KDW-2 T/A G-Force tires. Got the whole shebang for $2,400. I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Rick, do you have to run Torco or is that the way Jon set it up, and what ratio due you use? Keep us up to date with your set up as I have been entertaing the Whipple. Do you notice much of a heat difference with the screw type SC?
I have to run Torco. Too much boost for pump gas. One 32-oz can per tank of gas will take 91 octane to about 100 octane.

The Whipple does get hot, but with the C&R heat exchanger and radiator upgrades, my air & H2O temps stay pretty low. It's not nearly has hot as the stock s/c got with the old Stage 4 setup. I was just spinning that s/c way too fast.

With 4 pulls on the dyno, my water temps never got higher than 166 deg F. Air temps after the s/c topped out at 119.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So what kind of HP did you get on 93 pump gas without the Torco?

I'm VERY interested in the same 2.9Whipple based setup, but probably won't want to run more then 93 octane pump gas and wondering where that would settle out.

Also, Exhaust sound! I'm really not looking for LOUD. What kind of mufflers are you running? Ideally I'd like to keep the sound to a minimum if possible - like stock.

Have you taken it to the track yet?

TD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what kind of HP did you get on 93 pump gas without the Torco?

I'm VERY interested in the same 2.9Whipple based setup, but probably won't want to run more then 93 octane pump gas and wondering where that would settle out.

Also, Exhaust sound! I'm really not looking for LOUD. What kind of mufflers are you running? Ideally I'd like to keep the sound to a minimum if possible - like stock.

Have you taken it to the track yet?

TD
I can't run the car without Torco because I'll run into detonation issues running so much boost. To avoid using Torco, you need to run less boost...either use the stock lower or the larger 3.25" upper pulley. My friend Scott (SLGT750) is running the 3" upper, stock lower, VMP throttle body, and stock exhaust on 91 octane and pulled 695 rwhp.

I've got the 3" Magnaflow catback with the "Race" mufflers. It's freaking loud under full throttle but really isn't too bad at cruising speeds. If you get long tune headers and high-flow cats, your exhaust is going to be loud. It's going to be pretty difficult to quiet it down.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is 18 lbs of boost safe with the stock motor?those are awsome numbers be safe and have fun
As long as you aren't running the car up to 6,700 rpm, 18 lbs boost is very safe. The stock internals are pretty stout. Jon Lund said you can safely take these engines up to 25 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hmm.

Very interesting.

I spent a fortune on a sweet stereo and would hate to spoil the sweet sound from that, but I hunger for more HP too...

What state/city is Jon Lund in?

My car is a DD, and when I fill it up, I hit the 93 pump gas. What is your Torco routine for fuelling up? What about road trips or "Honey I took your car to go shopping, and I even got you some gas. " Gee thanks dear - did the engine blow up or did you add the Torco?

I suppose You could get a few tunes from Lund and flash them when you needed it.

I wonder if I could creep over 700 by using the setup Scott has with 93 octane- but I thought you needed to swap the lower pulley to use an aftermarket SC (on the 07' or does he have a newer one?)

Anyway those are some SWEET numbers! I'll bet it's even bigger grins and smiles now!

Take it to the strip yet?

TD

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hmm.

Very interesting.

I spent a fortune on a sweet stereo and would hate to spoil the sweet sound from that, but I hunger for more HP too...

What state/city is Jon Lund in?

My car is a DD, and when I fill it up, I hit the 93 pump gas. What is your Torco routine for fuelling up? What about road trips or "Honey I took your car to go shopping, and I even got you some gas. " Gee thanks dear - did the engine blow up or did you add the Torco?

I suppose You could get a few tunes from Lund and flash them when you needed it.

I wonder if I could creep over 700 by using the setup Scott has with 93 octane- but I thought you needed to swap the lower pulley to use an aftermarket SC (on the 07' or does he have a newer one?)

Anyway those are some SWEET numbers! I'll bet it's even bigger grins and smiles now!

Take it to the strip yet?

TD
Jon lives up in Philly area...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Jon lives up in Philly area...
Philly would be a nice road trip - if I could come up with a reason to visit and then drive up - to save $$ of course - have the work done that week while I attend a "conference"...

ANyone buying this? Julie would see right through this feeble plan.. Gotta think of something better, but its a start.

TD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts