Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

What will a stock 2007 Cobra GT500 run in the 1/4?

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think a stock car will be able to run in the 1/4?

Give us your predictions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still think that with good weather at a good track (Houston, Englishtown, Atco) that they will be able to just dip into the 11s. No matter how heavy it is, someone is bound to get a freak and just rip into it.

Will be great to see, and they're only a pulley and exhaust away from mid/bottom 11s! :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
At the winter nationals In 2008 , Ron Capps and John Force raced an identical pair of Shelby GT 500 as part of a promotion. Both cars were stock and John Forest was in the far lane and Ron Capps was in the near lane. I don't remember the elapsed time, maybe 10.80, but both cars ran 140 miles an hour. .... both cars were white with blue stripes and after that race I wanted a Mustang GT 500 really bad.......we had great seats in the top eliminator club....

·
Banned
8,949 Posts
10 year old thread but anyway.. Most '08 cars ran high 12's Low 13's @ 108-110 mph from the tests done then.
But John is a bad mofo tho.

·
Banned
9,881 Posts
10 year old thread but anyway.. Most '08 cars ran high 12's Low 13's @ 108-110 mph from the tests done then.
But John is a bad mofo tho.
Just show old guys can still run fast. Even if it is in a chebby now.

·
Premium Member
5,922 Posts
At the winter nationals In 2008 , Ron Capps and John Force raced an identical pair of Shelby GT 500 as part of a promotion. Both cars were stock and John Forest was in the far lane and Ron Capps was in the near lane. I don't remember the elapsed time, maybe 10.80, but both cars ran 140 miles an hour. .... both cars were white with blue stripes and after that race I wanted a Mustang GT 500 really bad.......we had great seats in the top eliminator club....
No stock GT500 including a 13-14 will trap 140mph! Not even close.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They were on display for the 4 days and the final day, prior to the finals, they raced.....they were exactly like mine.....and we pics of both cars.....yes stock with SC and had some different tires I beleive....both cars 140 and we're bouncing off the Rev limiter at take off.....the signs near the cars said they were factory GT 500.....oh and the exhaust was off....forgot that.....I was in 3rd row and saw it....sorry, but that's what happened.....after the race, both cars we're autographed and towed to the drag racing museum in pomona, next to the hotel.....we went there after the race and both cars were on display outside as well, they had racing harnesses as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Someone on this Forum also had to be there. I called a buddy who was there and he said they were factory GT 500, but not the stock GT 500, so that's my bad......sorry

All I know, I wanted one. Saved my money and paid cash for mine......

·
Premium Member
5,922 Posts
They were on display for the 4 days and the final day, prior to the finals, they raced.....they were exactly like mine.....and we pics of both cars.....yes stock with SC and had some different tires I beleive....both cars 140 and we're bouncing off the Rev limiter at take off.....the signs near the cars said they were factory GT 500.....oh and the exhaust was off....forgot that.....I was in 3rd row and saw it....sorry, but that's what happened.....after the race, both cars we're autographed and towed to the drag racing museum in pomona, next to the hotel.....we went there after the race and both cars were on display outside as well, they had racing harnesses as well.

I don't doubt you saw it. There is still no way those cars would trap 25 mph faster.

A pro driver could clearly help the 1/4 mile time but he isn't going to coax the much additional speed out of the car.

Evan smith got a 2011 to a 11.8 1/4. That was typically .3 faster than anyone else. That is possible but he sure wasn't turning a low 10 second.

Again I am not discounting what you saw, I am discounting what you were told (that it was stock - minus the exhaust).

·
Registered
343 Posts
You're probably right.....one of the two is still on display....I eleive, the other went to the John Force museum, or at least that's what my wife and I heard.....amazing anyway and the sile reason I own one now

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
another resurrection.

Tag is correct. I've been racing these cars...a lot...since August of 06 and can tell you for certain what they trapped stock as well as almost every possible configuration except turbos.

Force, nor a force of nature could make a 07-12 GT500 trap 140 even if you dropped it off the Sears Tower.

13-14 cars aren't even close to that either.

My 07 makes about 820 to the tires and I trap 140 and my car weighs about 200 pounds less than any of the above.

bj

I don't doubt you saw it. There is still no way those cars would trap 25 mph faster.

A pro driver could clearly help the 1/4 mile time but he isn't going to coax the much additional speed out of the car.

Evan smith got a 2011 to a 11.8 1/4. That was typically .3 faster than anyone else. That is possible but he sure wasn't turning a low 10 second.

Again I am not discounting what you saw, I am discounting what you were told (that it was stock - minus the exhaust).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts