Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch went out at @ 18,000 miles. I called the dealership in Columbus, GA. I was told that if the flywheel is not warped I would have to pay $3700 for parts and labor. Before I dropped my Shelby off I called to ask what would be the labor cost if they determine that the clutch is bad. The service manager said it could cost $200-$300. Two days later, I called the service department and the service manager told me that Ford would cover the complete cost. Basically, they never repaired it, the service manager avoided me andd sent the service tech out to return the car. I purchased an after market (SPEC) clutch, but I've never installed one on a late model Stang. Do anyone have info on clutch installment, or a Mustang performance shop near Atlanta?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My clutch went out at @ 18,000 miles. I called the dealership in Columbus, GA. I was told that if the flywheel is not warped I would have to pay $3700 for parts and labor. Before I dropped my Shelby off I called to ask what would be the labor cost if they determine that the clutch is bad. The service manager said it could cost $200-$300. Two days later, I called the service department and the service manager told me that Ford would cover the complete cost. Basically, they never repaired it, the service manager avoided me andd sent the service tech out to return the car. I purchased an after market (SPEC) clutch, but I've never installed one on a late model Stang. Do anyone have info on clutch installment, or a Mustang performance shop near Atlanta?
Have had mine out several times and I would purchase a shop manual and be sure to have a lift and tranny jack. The trick is to support the front of the engine as to keep the angle of the tranny drop and rotate the tranny to the right to clear the firewall tunnel. The other trick is to cap off the clutch tube to prevent a brake fluid bath. You will have to bleed the clutch by applying a vacum pump to the brake resevoir as the clutch and brake share the same master. Good luck and have patients. Be sure to change out the flywheel as the original is proned to wharpage. Aside from the clutch and flywheel the input shaft, second gear and synchros should also be changed out. Check out the TSB on the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I greatly appreciate your reply as well as the sharing additional knowledge!!!!! I'll keep you posted and I'll past that knowledge on to other GT500 owners.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried! According to the warranty, the clutch is only covered for 12K and below. I insisted that they repair my car, they basically looked at me as if I was speaking German. Every service manager said that a wharped flighwheel wouldn't damage the clutch. After dealing with thee clowns at the dealserships, I called Ford directly, which was a waist. I'll just let the Consumers Affairs Division here at Ft. Benning, GA handle it. Once its repaired, I'm selling it. The cluch system was just one of a few issues I've had with it. At 5,000 miles the service engine light came on because of the gas cap. The transmission chatters in second dear. I think I just stick with the old fox body styles, in my opinion those are the some of the best cars that ford ever made. The auto industry is in hurting financially and they have to cut cost somewhere, I don't want to be a victim twice. ford will need bail-out money soon, especially with the substandard production of one of their top of the line vehicles. I'm paying over $50,000 for a vehicle, I shouldn't be thumbing a ride to work!!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
take it to another dealer..along with a copy of the TSB...the flywheel is the PROBLEM, and it causes the clutch to hang up when it warps (along with the input shaft not getting lubed), which in turn damages the tranny synchros..obviously those guys dont' understand engineering...good luck..

·
Registered
45 Posts
As long as your car is still under warranty and you have a copy of the TSB any dealer should be able to do this for you. My buddy and I both bought our cars out of Texas and just had both of our cars done by a dealer up here in Illinois. This TSB even goes into some early 09'S from what I understand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes I would say that is normal my car does it and so does my friends.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
what years were effected and if its only one year what month ofproduction did they use the bad flywheel?
from day one of production to March09 (i believe). not sure if data collection has been posted here, but here are three threads in full detail about the TSB..take time and read them...the last link was set up to determine when the new flywheel was going into the cars...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42534

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32271

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35706

1 - 13 of 13 Posts