Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the Nashville Super Speedway Saturday driving my car while noticing fluid blowing up on my windshield. Took the car in the garage and it was power steering fluid. I figured out what the problem was. I have a New Shelby Polished Billet Aluminum Power Steering Cap like some of you, and it does not fit as tight as the stock cap so that allowed air to get in which let the fluid to boil and put air in the system. I ended up draining and flushing the system then refilling it and then I wrapped teflon tape around the rubber seal to create a tighter fit. The tape is just a temporary fix but it worked. So if anyone has this cap it would be a good idea to check your fluid. Compare the stock cap against the New Shelby Polished Billet Aluminum Power Steering Cap. Hope this is helpful for anyone. I am going to find a bigger rubber seal and see if this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was at the Nashville Super Speedway Saturday driving my car while noticing fluid blowing up on my windshield. Took the car in the garage and it was power steering fluid. I figured out what the problem was. I have a New Shelby Polished Billet Aluminum Power Steering Cap like some of you, and it does not fit as tight as the stock cap so that allowed air to get in which let the fluid to boil and put air in the system. I ended up draining and flushing the system then refilling it and then I wrapped teflon tape around the rubber seal to create a tighter fit. The tape is just a temporary fix but it worked. So if anyone has this cap it would be a good idea to check your fluid. Compare the stock cap against the New Shelby Polished Billet Aluminum Power Steering Cap. Hope this is helpful for anyone. I am going to find a bigger rubber seal and see if this will fix the problem.
Thanks for posting this. They need to field test these things a little bit better.
Well, how did she handle on the track? speeds in the neighborhood of ...? ....if you're at liberty to speak ;)

Btw, THANKS to all the veterans out there.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Thanks for the post. I just ordered a set last week. I'll check the new cap and revise the seal if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

SN8KBYT,glad you figured it out and thanks for sharing with all the members.Sorry I couldn't help any more.This is the 1st power steering problem I had heard of.What a mess that makes,ouch.:mad: Did you get to go back out on the track or did you just wash her up and try to fix it?I sure am glad you are good to go.
There was a thread started about what you carry in the trunk!I carry all my original caps in the trunk.I don't have these particular caps(I have MGW caps) but if someone ever took 1 at a car show I didn't want to be stranded.Just a thought.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
SN8KBYT,
I have been thinking about your problem and it doesn't add up.The power steering cap is vented and is on the low pressure side of the system.You could actually run your car with the cap off and would run fine except what would spill out the top.If you turn your original cap over you will see the 2 vent holes.Does the Shelby cap have the vents?I think it is opposite than what you are thinking.If it is too tight and not open to atmosphere it will have to suck air in through 1 of the hose ends.I think that a tighter cap will cause you more boiling it just showed up faster when you were on the track.Also,when you changed the cap if you filled the reservoir higher than the high limit line it will expand in the reservoir and blow out the cap.Let me know what you find.Hope this helps....................

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
07SHELBY,

The Shelby cap is identical to the stock cap except the shelby cap has a little hole in the top of it. As far as the level of fluid it was not overfilled. Here is what the Manufacture said about the stuation.

"Kerry, PS Caps are Vented both ours and factory. Air tight seal would cause other problems with the system. So Air is not a Factor here and temperature to boil hydraulic fluid is extremely high and unlikely.

We are just guessing here but the system could have been overfilled from the factory and under very high RPM’s the fluid will heat up and slightly expand under the pressure, this along with the turbulence of the fluid racing through there and some hard corning could have it come out the top if overfilled.

Did you need to add any fluid back to the system? If it is still showing full, than that was probably your problem. We have sold over 1000 of these caps with out a single complaint (However probably 95% or more went on a 4.6 Mustangs). According to Ford they are the same cap. I do not have a GT500 to test fit one here. Although very unlikely it could be you PS pump putting out too much pressure at high RPM. Our cap could be defective but that is also unlikely as technically you can conservatively drive a car with out a cap on it with out any issues of spilling out.

Hope this helps and sorry for you mess.

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
07SHELBY,

The Shelby cap is identical to the stock cap except the shelby cap has a little hole in the top of it. As far as the level of fluid it was not overfilled. Here is what the Manufacture said about the stuation.

"Kerry, PS Caps are Vented both ours and factory. Air tight seal would cause other problems with the system. So Air is not a Factor here and temperature to boil hydraulic fluid is extremely high and unlikely.

We are just guessing here but the system could have been overfilled from the factory and under very high RPM’s the fluid will heat up and slightly expand under the pressure, this along with the turbulence of the fluid racing through there and some hard corning could have it come out the top if overfilled.

Did you need to add any fluid back to the system? If it is still showing full, than that was probably your problem. We have sold over 1000 of these caps with out a single complaint (However probably 95% or more went on a 4.6 Mustangs). According to Ford they are the same cap. I do not have a GT500 to test fit one here. Although very unlikely it could be you PS pump putting out too much pressure at high RPM. Our cap could be defective but that is also unlikely as technically you can conservatively drive a car with out a cap on it with out any issues of spilling out.

Hope this helps and sorry for you mess.

Paul

SN8KBYT,
I see you are on top of it.Have you come to any conclusions yet?I am curious to know.Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still believe that the cap is the problem because why was it fine when I wrapped teflon tape around it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts