Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, Been all over the internet so I figured I'd come over here to ask the question.

Been having a reacuring problem, that is progresivly getting worse, with my steering system. Not sure where the problem is and the dealership is at a dead end. They know something is wrong but can't figure out what it is.

Anywase. After about 15 minutes of driving a loud wine starts to come from the steering pump (near as I can tell) and it only gets worse when you try to turn. Also turning becomes more difficult at slow speads. Earlier this summer my steering fluid was frothing up and spilling out of the reservoir. They've changed the fluid 2x now. Any help would be apreciated. Been fighting this, as well as an overheating problem for over a year now :(.

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
AThey've changed the fluid 2x now. Any help would be apreciated. Been fighting this, as well as an overheating problem for over a year now :(.

Thanks!
You said they have flushed it 2 times hoping to repair it.
Here in Arizona, 3 strikes and you get a shot at selling it back to Ford!
Your overheating could be anything. Is it overheating in town, or on the highway?
You do have a common denominator between overheating and power steering loss, and that would be belt slippage or a harmonic balancer failure I would probably would look there first.
Independent of a common factor, I would be looking for a restriction in the p/s system or a pressure control valve sticking.
joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flush wasn't ment as a fix but a way to keep my car running while they wait on a fitting/part. They need it to do diagnostics on the car and they don't have it. I'm the first Shelby they've had to do work beyond regular maint on. Not a whole lot of stangs up here in Montana.

The steering and over heat problems seem to coincide with each other but I think they are independent. It was overheating sitting in the driveway. The overheating was orignaly due to a sticking valve. They flushed it IAW their manuals and it's fixed the problem, for now. Havn't had it reacure yet, but I also havn't been able to really drive the car alot due to this power steering problems.

The first time they flushed they found out the steering pump is cavitating. They have no idea where it's getting air to do it, or how it's doing it. They think their is a leak somewhere and thats what they need the fitting for (that i've been waiting 2 months for now). The second time was just for good measure and to keep in my good graces I guess.

I havn't gotten nasty with them, no reason to yet, I just want to get my care fixed. The tech guys arn't to happy with me being involved, but they "are unable to reproduce the problem". So I have to come in and do it for them. Lazieness if you ask me, but thats a story for another time.

I'll mention the belt slipage to them tomorrow because it's the only good reason I've come up with and have them look into it. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I'd suggest that they change the pump and go from there. If it solves the issue fine, if not, you can eliminate the pump as the cause. Sounds like a pump issue to me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd suggest that they change the pump and go from there. If it solves the issue fine, if not, you can eliminate the pump as the cause. Sounds like a pump issue to me. Just my 2 cents.
HAHA, that exactly what I told them. If the pump is cavatating and not working right then their is somethign wrong with the pump. The service manager said "Well we don't wana just throw parts at it and hope it fixes it". I'm about tell them to start throwing parts at it and fix it or buy back my car.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
HAHA, that exactly what I told them. If the pump is cavatating and not working right then their is somethign wrong with the pump. The service manager said "Well we don't wana just throw parts at it and hope it fixes it". I'm about tell them to start throwing parts at it and fix it or buy back my car.
That's what I'd do. It's simple, quick and relatively inexpensive to change the pump. I've work with pumps of all sorts for 36 years on major steel producing units. To me it's the simple and quick thing to do to get you back in your car. If it solves the problem they can figure out what went wrong with the pump later. If not, It eliminates a major component from the equation. For a problem to drag out as long as you have delt with this it is unacceptable where I work.

Cal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts