Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 GT500. Did a search and found an older post on milky pink power steering fluid (ATF) in the reservoir. I would assume it has been contaminated by water. It has a Shelby cap which does not fit snug so maybe condensation has accumulated. If not, what should I look for?
What is the capacity of the system and is there any particular ATF that you would recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your problem is that the Shelby cap is vented on top and also acts as a bowl. water comes thru the hood vents, sits in the cap and drains into the reservoir. This also causes it to blow oil out going thru the hood vent and onto the windshield. Simply draining the reservoir and refilling does not work. All components and lines must be removed and cleaned. If you choose to keep the Shelby cap I’ve found placing a sandwich bag over the cap when washing the car eliminates the issue, if driving in rain, install your factory cap, unfortunately this is a slight flaw in the Shelby cap.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Your problem is that the Shelby cap is vented on top and also acts as a bowl. water comes thru the hood vents, sits in the cap and drains into the reservoir. This also causes it to blow oil out going thru the hood vent and onto the windshield. Simply draining the reservoir and refilling does not work. All components and lines must be removed and cleaned. If you choose to keep the Shelby cap I’ve found placing a sandwich bag over the cap when washing the car eliminates the issue, if driving in rain, install your factory cap, unfortunately this is a slight flaw in the Shelby cap.
Welcome to the forum! Good info... thanks for sharing.

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts