Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to various internet sources it looks as if the fog lights for the GT500 can be sourced from other means other than ford.

Current conjecture thinks they are the new H16 (9009) bulb type.

I've ordered some from http://www.highperformancebulbs.com. I'll report back when(if) they arrive if they are the correct ones.

Cross your fingers.....
--
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It is confirmed:

On the left is a Putco H16 (9009) bulb, the right is the OEM Ford GT500 fog light bulb.

They have the same base, just a different color.

I would add that if you are trying to match the look of HIDs you will probably want the Nitro blue versions as the Ion Spark White still looks mildly yellow when paired with HID headlights.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
SO what do they look like when installed and turned on?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I attempted to take some photos but none turned out well. I will try again later in the week.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sweet, lets get those pix!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go! Keep in mind, I've HID's so the stock bulbs look very yellow, these are only slightly yellow.

I would bet the artic blues would be an almost perfect match. I'll keep these for now. It's good to have a $15 option for replacement lights ($30/2).

--
Ronnie

·
Registered
867 Posts
Looks good, I think I'll order teh arctic blue replacement bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I'll be ordering the blues as well, but wondered if they sit nice and tight, or if it take some "engineering" to make them sit right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
where did you order them from?

·
Registered
888 Posts
According to various internet sources it looks as if the fog lights for the GT500 can be sourced from other means other than ford.

Current conjecture thinks they are the new H16 (9009) bulb type.

I've ordered some from http://www.highperformancebulbs.com. I'll report back when(if) they arrive if they are the correct ones.

Cross your fingers.....
--
Ronnie
I have a set on order! This is a great find! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just put a set of the Putco Nitro Blue H16/9009 halogen bulbs in my '08 with factory HIDs. My take on them is that the light they put out to the front is a little more yellowish than I would expect from 6000K bulbs. They are still not quite as blueish-white as the HIDs, but they are a lot closer than the stock high intensity bulbs, which looked very yellow in comparison.

They seemed to index into the fog light socket just fine, as they had all the indexing and locking tabs in the right places.

Just sitting still, I took a reading with an infrared thermometer, and it showed them to be running at just under 200 degrees F. The fog light lense was pretty warm to the touch.

*WARNING* I may be the only one who didn't know this, but after a short 30 minute ride this evening with the new fog lamps on in 40 degree F temps, some kind of smoke or haze has accumulated on the bottom half of the fog light reflector assembly. I was careful to not touch the halogen bulbs during installation, but something apparently burned off of the blue globes. If you use these, I would suggest firing them out of the reflectors for a while. If the haze didn't come from the Nitro Blue bulbs, then it came from heating the fog light housing itself up more than it has been before. It's going to make for a tough clean up job.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If your new bulbs are halogen and the old bulbs are not, don't you need some form of transformer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your new bulbs are halogen and the old bulbs are not, don't you need some form of transformer?
The halogen bulbs just need 12 volts and big enough wiring, switches, etc. to handle the wattage. The wattage difference between the original PS24WFF high-intensity foglight bulbs and these halogens is unknown.

The replacement halogen bulbs are not HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs, which do require a ballast or transformer to step the voltage up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I got a set of the Blue and some xenon corner markers as well should be here in time for my black housing turn signals and blacked out fogs/headlights. Hopefully these will match the factory HID's pretty well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
*WARNING* I may be the only one who didn't know this, but after a short 30 minute ride this evening with the new fog lamps on in 40 degree F temps, some kind of smoke or haze has accumulated on the bottom half of the fog light reflector assembly. I was careful to not touch the halogen bulbs during installation, but something apparently burned off of the blue globes. If you use these, I would suggest firing them out of the reflectors for a while. If the haze didn't come from the Nitro Blue bulbs, then it came from heating the fog light housing itself up more than it has been before. It's going to make for a tough clean up job.
I just installed a set of these Putco bulbs last week. I used the fogs for the first time yesterday on a drive and noticed when I got home that one of my fogs had hazed as well. Well this morning I took out the whole fog assembly and the bulb had started to melt at the base and had started to melt the fog lense as well! I probably didnt use the fog lamps for more than 30 mins.
I dont know if I just got a bad bulb or is this a problem with these bulbs! The Drivers side fog is fine.
So now I have a smoked fog light ($70) and a bad set of bulbs ($30):mofo:

Anyone know where to get a cheap replacement lens?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here I have actual HID fog lights. Also here is LED tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here I have actual HID fog lights. Also here is LED tail lights.
So where did you find the HID foglights? Is it just the bulbs or is it an entire replacement of the housing? And how much?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts