Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 500 miles with the Porterfield pads I feel that the advertisement of 90% brake dust reduction is misleading. There is a reduction of brake dust but I would guess its closer to 50%. Anyone else think this is more realistic? Also I was wondering if the front brake cooling kit offered by Shelby or any other vendor would actually hurt your braking during rainy conditions? Does it duct water direct to your brakes? (not that I would drive my car in the rain....just curious.):confused:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Unless you're planning on taking your car to the track, don't waste your money on a brake cooling kit.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
After 500 miles with the Porterfield pads I feel that the advertisement of 90% brake dust reduction is misleading. There is a reduction of brake dust but I would guess its closer to 50%. Anyone else think this is more realistic? Also I was wondering if the front brake cooling kit offered by Shelby or any other vendor would actually hurt your braking during rainy conditions? Does it duct water direct to your brakes? (not that I would drive my car in the rain....just curious.):confused:

I would have to say my brake dust is at least 90 % less than it used to be and I have about 7,500 miles on my ride.It has been like this since the day I put them on.After 500 miles it is a really noticable difference.:)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Unless you're planning on taking your car to the track, don't waste your money on a brake cooling kit.
I'm planning on taking mine to a track, and can't find a brake cooling kit?:(

·
Registered
938 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Quantum brake cooling kit on my GT. Good stuff, great service. I recommend it if you're tracking your car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have them and estimated mine at about 60-70% reduction.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wow, thanks!

I just found my next mod I think?

:D
Hey Bill...I have some magazines with some very unusual Mustang mods in them. In an effort to get more activity on this site, I'm willing to post more of those things....but I'll only spend the time doing it if people really are interested. I won't feel very good if I spend a bunch of time going through magazines, typing up threads, and having people say "That's a dumb mod" or "I'd never do that".

Thoughts?

dave

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hey Bill...I have some magazines with some very unusual Mustang mods in them. In an effort to get more activity on this site, I'm willing to post more of those things....but I'll only spend the time doing it if people really are interested. I won't feel very good if I spend a bunch of time going through magazines, typing up threads, and having people say "That's a dumb mod" or "I'd never do that".

Thoughts?

dave
Dave, if it is 'functional' stuff, I would be interested. I'm not real big on just bling junk.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have the Quantum brake cooling kit on my GT. Good stuff, great service. I recommend it if you're tracking your car.

Jon, how do you feel about the longevity of the hoses? I have seen some cars w/ the brake ducts and it seems w/ all the turning the hoses develop creases and crack open between the joints if quality material isn't used?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Thoughts?

dave

Dave it is hard to predict what someone might say but I would be interested.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shelby has a brake duct kit in their catalog and you can get the lower grill with the holes in it from them if you don't want to cut yours up. looks just like the KR.:)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

Thoughts?

dave
I know that I'd appreciate them Davey.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Dave, if it is 'functional' stuff, I would be interested. I'm not real big on just bling junk.
Ok, that helps narrow it down...and sorry if I post on something that you already have...hard to recall all the mods you've made or whether you would switch to a different setup based on some advantages. i'll start a new thread.

Dave

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm always interested in seeing how others do different creative things to their cars that might be benificial .Good idea Dave.

BTW I will be installing the new Stainless Steel brake lines with the clear coating on them (from Jerry at ForMyRide)when i get back this weekend to acess fit and ease of installation. I will post the info as soon as I can.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts