Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,236 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting.
A comment was made that most of the brake duct comes from the brake, not the pads.
Makes me wonder why low dust brake pads are so popular..

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,092 Posts
i saw this on my facebook page and thought it was some cool engineering.
sharing because this will possibly start shifting over to the mustangs and other high end cars in the future.

Very cool… learned something. Thanks for sharing. 🍻

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
I have never been a Porschefile but damn, their engineering prowess in off the chart.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Base/Handling Pack/HVAC Seats/Carbon Dash/Vinyl Stripes
101 Posts
Holy smokes, dem sum spensive brakes.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes $$$ brakes. most high end european cars have similar priced brakes.
i work in a VW dealer bodyshop. VW Toureg is almost exactly the same car. except they don't have 10 PISTON calipers though. i have heard stories about people trading their car in before paying to replacing the brakes at regular maintenance intervals.

of course the Porsche could make similar comments about painted stripes on new GT500 cars.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Base/Handling Pack/HVAC Seats/Carbon Dash/Vinyl Stripes
101 Posts
I performed all my own brake work on my high end Euro rides. Never bought parts from the dealer so perhaps that's where my disconnect is.

·
Registered
07 GT500
378 Posts
I guess I won't be buying a Porsche any time soon.$$$$

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
Surface area is our friend in braking

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
569 Posts
This technology was covered in MotorTrend a few issues back. The impetus for this tech was to reduce the pollution from brake pads. Most people don’t think about it but brake pads and rotors are a significant form of air pollution next to the exhaust gasses. Be sure this technology will find its way down to basic cars like most other things that were expensive years ago a-la adaptive cruise, lane keeping, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts