Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully polished the entire rim or maybe just the spokes? The. more I look at the stockers, the more I like the design. I just don't like full of brake dust/uncleaned look from the factory.

Not sure if they are painted, anodized or what from the factory.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,876 Posts
Lots of folks got the SVTPP wheels. When I looked at them, I thought they were nice; however, I also felt they would be a constant aggravation when it came to cleaning them. Instead, I got the stock wheels for the 2011 and the 13 which were very striking and best of all, much easier to keep clean. I had the basket weave wheels on some past BMW's and they were nightmares to keep clean!

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,160 Posts
I also like my stock PP wheels and have received several comments regarding them from my buddies. Many say they are a pain to clean but after seven years I have a pretty good system down. I have these sponge "socks" that fit over three of my fingers and follow the same pattern on each wheel. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes per to get them very clean. Even if I get another set I'll definitely keep them.

When I had them off to install the lowering springs I cleaned them thoroughly inside and out then waxed em.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of folks got the SVTPP wheels. When I looked at them, I thought they were nice; however, I also felt they would be a constant aggravation when it came to cleaning them. Instead, I got the stock wheels for the 2011 and the 13 which were very striking and best of all, much easier to keep clean. I had the basket weave wheels on some past BMW's and they were nightmares to keep clean!
You're correct about all of the nooks and crannies. They aren't the easiest wheels to clean but it's not a daily for me. If someone has gotten them to shine, I'd like to do it. As long as it would be cost effective.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
I vaguely recall a guy either polishing his or having them chromed years ago. They looked great!

If you are tired of brake dust, a couple things to consider... ceramic pads basically eliminates it. Also, having the wheels ceramic/quartz coated goes a long way to making them easy to clean.

Your wheels are powder coated from the factory.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your wheels are powder coated from the factory.
I was afraid of that......

Yes, the brake dust is bad with the factory pads. The dumb rims look dirty when they're clean. I'll be swapping out the pads at some point before I start driving it in the spring.

Thanks, Tim

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I vaguely recall a guy either polishing his or having them chromed years ago. They looked great
I contacted a couple of platers in the metro Detroit area. No one wants to mess with wheels. They all said California is the only area that will. I don't want to go through the hassle.

I might just end up with Black Mamba chromes from bmc

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,830 Posts
I contacted a couple of platers in the metro Detroit area. No one wants to mess with wheels. They all said California is the only area that will. I don't want to go through the hassle.

I might just end up with Black Mamba chromes from bmc
Yes on actual chrome. There is another option... have the wheels powder coated in a finish similar to chrome.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes on actual chrome. There is another option... have the wheels powder coated in a finish similar to chrome.
Yes there is a powder coat co. near me that does the "chrome" powder coat. I need to get over and check out a sample.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,160 Posts
You could give Paul’s Chrome Plating, Inc. a call. They’re in PA and where I plan to send all the chrome parts for my Fairlane. That’s all they do.

Reactions: Nuttypinhead12

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Look into Super Chrome 2 from Prismatic Powders. I'm going to have the lips on the wheels for my daily coated in this.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look into Super Chrome 2 from Prismatic Powders. I'm going to have the lips on the wheels for my daily coated in this.

That looks like a great option. I'll have to head up to the powder coater and see if they would use it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In my boredom, I discovered Detroit Tire and Wheel does pvd plating. It's OEM for many "chrome" rims and they will do the svtpp rims. That's going to be my plan. I can actually bring my mounted wheels and tires. They dismount, remove everything, plate and they mount and road force balance once they are done. I'll have shiny rims by the time spring rolls around.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started a thread on the PVD chrome plating of my wheels in the Wheels and Tires section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts