Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Regrettably, many have reported that the Putco replacement bulbs (H16/9009/5202) are too hot for the OEM fog light enclosure.

There may be a potential solution. Two distributors allegedly have plug and play HID kits for the foglights:

http://turnagainhighlights.com/id72.html
Called, awating call back.

http://www.hidonlinestore.com/hid_slim_ballast_kit.html
Not yet listed but available within 2-3 weeks. ~$120 with 2 slim ballasts and 2 bulbs.
Standard range of colors available: 3200 - 16000

But are these also too hot for the OEM fog light? Does anyone know if the heat created by a 35W HID is equal to or less than the heat from the OEM halogen bulb?

Do we know the wattage of the OEM bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There may be a potential solution. Two distributors allegedly have plug and play HID kits for the foglights:

http://turnagainhighlights.com/id72.html
Called, awating call back.
Never did return my call, but he responded to email very quickly (via Blackberry). Ordered a kit this morning, should have it within 10 days.

I'll post follow up, with installation photos when/if received.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The stock bulbs just look to me like white marker or taillight bulbs with a different base. I suspect they are just that because of local ordinances all over this land regarding lighting. I hope there's a solution because the stock lights are worthless. I'd like lights with a sharp cutoff so as not to blind oncoming drivers, but which would illuminate ditches and deer - a year round problem here in VA.
Appreciate hearing what you find out Ray after pulling the pin.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Never did return my call, but he responded to email very quickly (via Blackberry). Ordered a kit this morning, should have it within 10 days.

I'll post follow up, with installation photos when/if received.
Hey Ronnie, give em a good long burn to see if you get any plastic warp from the heat.
jg

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Three Cobras said:
I'd like lights with a sharp cutoff so as not to blind oncoming drivers
The GT500 headlamps do not provide the means for a sharp cutoff. I've considered trying to use a thermally reflective coating on the outside of the headlamp lens and then just adjusted the bulbs downward angle to minimize glare.

Not the best solution but even in this configuration, the light pattern and quality is still better than stock.

Oddly enough for an aftermarket HID setup the Mustang GT lamps might work better due to their internal reflector.

Hey Ronnie, give em a good long burn to see if you get any plastic warp from the heat.
As I kept the OEM bulbs, and have the Putco bulbs I intend to present a tabulated heat table using an IR meter. This will allow everyone to directly compare the bulbs temperature, light quality and light pattern.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As I kept the OEM bulbs, and have the Putco bulbs I intend to present a tabulated heat table using an IR meter. This will allow everyone to directly compare the bulbs temperature, light quality and light pattern.
Data, not speculation. Good man.
The long pole in the tent would seem to be how well the stock fog light housing stands the heat. Hopefully you will not end up having to replace a melted housing or two to get the information. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig, Ronnie.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the tracking number the fog lights are in Texas and are en route!!

Weather and time permitting, I should have some information to share by this weekend.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know you will, but let us know! I'm waiting with my credit card in hand to hear your verdict on these. I am SOOOO over the crappy stock fog lights.

DocGT

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Preliminary results are very promising!

The HID bulbs @ 30 watts burn about 12*F hotter than the OEM bulbs.

But the light output is truly dazzling!
I would not recommend anything greater than a 35 watt output. I set mine for 30 watts and they are still brighter than necessary.

The Putco bulbs burn about ~70* hotter than the OEM bulbs and ~58* hotter than the HID bulbs.

The install was much easier than I expected. The chin spoiler offers plenty of room for the ballasts and the existing holes work great for securing everything!

I can provide pictures if requested but it was really very, very easy to install!!

You will need to adjust the angle of the fog lights as far down as possible. The existing adjustment will blind oncoming traffic!! The attached photo is before the suggested angle adjustment.

More data to follow this evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
MAN those look good! and they are the 5202's from turnagain?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took advantage of the dry weather this past week to drive the car in the evenings and put some time on these bulbs.
And to date, I could not be more pleased!

With run times from as short as 17 minutes to as long as 1 hour, I have not experienced in burning, hazing, nor glazing of the fog lights lens nor the reflector. Reflector temps hover between 12-15* hotter than their temp with the OEM bulbs.

If you have HIDs or upgraded to an HID bulb, and you are not fond of the "yellow" look of the OEM fog light bulbs, I do believe this is one of the better options. It is more expensive than the "blue" bulbs but this HID kit generates much less heat!!
Please not that this is with a 30-35W ballast and not the 50-55W versions.

Turnagainhighlights will be releasing a revised kit in the near future. Apparently a new supplier is able to supply equal quality bulbs at a less expensive price!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the work and info

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Please tell me what exactly you ordered?

There are many bulb types listed.

Did you do the headlamps as well as the fog lamps?

From this same company?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hey guys, new member waiting on verification for our sponsorship on this site, but if your looking for the 35w Fog light HID kits for your GT500 we've got them for sure. Perfect bulbs, barely warmer than the stock 5202 bulbs and we only carry super slim digital HID ballasts. Let me know if your interested.

(But until we see verification of our account for sponsorship we can not post the websites we sell these off of; but we are very well known, High Quality kits and Customer Service along with Lifetime Warranty)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
5202 Slim Ballast HID kits !!! 5202 GT-500 Fog Light HID kits !!!

Still waiting on confirmation but here is the link because everyone seems to be PM'ing us to know where to go. Highest quality Slim Ballast HID kits and 5202 HID kits and HID bulbs on the market .... Best service, warranty and shipping. Once the Site Admin's get back to us we will post specials and more products if allowed.

www.HIDGuy.net

Direct Link to the 5202 HID kits:

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=554

Let us know if you guys need any help, we are glad to be of service in any way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since there are many options for color (Kelvin rating) and I want to match the lights are installed (stock), which one should I get?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts