Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we still unable to get a pinion bearing?

If I can get one where should I look?

JJ

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As far as I have heard all of them are going to the line for factory install.

I don't know why more aren't being built?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There is a thread over on Teamshelby.com that has the Timken part numbers. From what I heard, they weren't available, though at least 2 members there had been able to get one (I think AFTER bed things happen).

The original pinion bearing was actually easy to save in pristine condition (Well at least as far as I know after only 30 miles!)

Harbor Freight sells a tool kit for $50 that has the bearing splitter you'll need to remove it (Thanks to SVTBird I think for that GREAT tip!). We needed some longer threaded rods to get it to work though, but happend to have some on hand.

TD

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was going to try and save the original one but I wanted to be ready incase I tore it up. thanks

JJ

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yeah I was going to try and save the original one but I wanted to be ready incase I tore it up. thanks

JJ
That would be the ideal situation if you can finagle getting an bearing.

TD

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I was able to reuse my bearing, the installer had a tool that removed it without a problem, he borrowed the tool from work since his brother is a mechanic at a local dealership :) There is another bearing you can use without the race if I remember reading threads about this on SU. Allot of guys have done the mod and one thread had a big right up about it and what part numbers to use if you could not get the ones that came in our car. Once thing the installer said after doing mine was it was different size than others he has done in older stangs but there was nothing else special about it like better built or made from space age metal :) I think Fred needs to pay a little visit to the parts department at work :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts