Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I crashed my Mustang GT. I had stopped to get gas, pulled back out onto the highway, and gave it the gas. I was going straight at the time, the pavement was dry, I didn't dump the clutch, didn't spin the tires, just hit the gas. I shifted into 2nd gear, just as I've done many, many times before with no problem. But this time, there was a problem.

When I shifted into 2nd, the rear end got loose and slid hard to the right. I had no warning or any indication at all that was going to happen. I steered into the slide, then the rear end spun hard to the left. I counter-steered, but it was too late. We were heading off the right side of the road in a slide with the brakes locked. We hit a highway sign and left the roadway at almost a 90 degree angle. We started down an embankment. I don't remember hitting the sign, but I do remember starting down the embankment. We landed on top of a concrete culvert (see damage to left rocker panel), bounced off of it, and ended up at the bottom of the ravine in about a foot of water. The ravine was 10 - 12 feet deep.

I never felt the TCS or ABS kick in, either during the second or two that I was still on the gas after shifting into 2nd, or during the slide off the roadway.

We got very lucky. We didn't roll. We didn't hit the culvert head-on. The marshy slop in the bottom of the ravine slowed our impact. The air bags didn't deploy. In fact, except for being sore for a few days, we didn't get hurt at all.

The car doesn't look bad in the pictures, but the estimate was a little over $23,000. The rear axle is bent. The floor pan and trunk floor are buckled. The body is slightly twisted. So the car is totaled.

But this just goes to show you how fast something can go wrong. I don't know if I hit a slick spot in the concrete, or what, but I've never lost control of a car before. It was all over in just a matter of seconds. So be very careful out there!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Oh man, now that sucks. :mecry:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wow Jon , you're right about that things can happen real quick . Glad no one was hurt you can always replace a car . Looks like you were very fortunate to come out of this crash without it rolling over.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad everyone was fine... In the end it's just a car and it can be replaced...

·
Registered
257 Posts
considering all of what could have happened, it is great that you came out relatively unhurt. That's the best part. Sucks about the car though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Bummer. That really sucks. Glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. That's almost the same thing that happened to my car, except mine slid off the road to the left and hit a brick wall and then knocked over a light pole. Got away with just a slight burn from the airbag. I was lucky. Glad you were okay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts