Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got the beast, I picked it up on Wed and than took thursday off to break it in on mountain roads. The car looks better in person than pictures or movie clips from the internet first off. Only haveing 360 miles on it now (10.8 when picked up at dealer) it is still tight but lots of power. Not scary power but it runs very well. 50 more HP or minus 300 pounds lighter would help. Easy to get 50 more HP. So the road trip... car handles great and I pushed hard on some sharp turns that the sign said 35 and I was clipping along around 65... in fact a little to hard once the ass end started a slight kick out but no fault of the car just hammering it to much.. that scared me so I took it easy for about 20 minutes till I felt cockey again :) Shifter don't know why anyone would change it... very short shifts and feels great. Shaker 1000 will pound and if you put some heavy bass line music you can feel it in the chest. Tach is kinda of hard to see at the redline area because of the steering wheel but no big deal. Seats great, would have liked a overhead homelink system for opening the garage door but have the clip on for the visor. Rims... hard to clean and for the first X miles brakes put out allot of brake dust compare to some vehicles I have owned. Speaking of brakes are excellent. Can't really tell you more than what you have all read in magazines or other posts. Somethings would be nice to change but just me being anal... not happy about water on motor when washing it but working on that issue with an enginerr here at work. Clutch is taking some use to ... I seem to make it chatter when taking off from a dead stop. I am guessing just need more time with it Vs my 03 focus clutch. One think I really notice is heat in the interior of the car. Being hot out and having the windows down the 5.4 liter puts out some heat....and you will feel it inside. But the switch that says AC will also fix that.

So really nothing bad about the car, just a couple of things I would change but what you feel about it might be 100% different. Everyone will have a different opinion.

Instead of posting pictures on the VBpic Gallery (painfull with big pictures) I have wrote a simple website of it. You will see the pictures from start to current as I do updates I will also update my site. Monday getting glass tinted and rocker panels removed for paint :)

Later

http://www.flairphoto.com/gt500.htm

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Congrats, Busababy. She's a beaut. Great recap. According to the Ford documentation, the clutch chatter is normal, but there seem to be some rumors going around about a hold on Shelby deliveries because of a clutch issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats, thanks for the writeup. 360 miles on the first day!-- definitely plan to do same with my (october deliv(?) alloy/tung Shelby coupe while the wives wonder where tf we've gone...

The time you got the back end to slide out, this was probably was the last thing on your mind but were u aware whether the traction control kicked in?....wondering at what point the electronic nanny intervenes. Enjoyed the pics on the web link.:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Finally....a Vin Is In My Future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just informed by my dealer that my car will be scheduled on Thursday.:D
I will get a VIN # and hopefully by Halloween I will get my SHELBY !!!!!!!!!!!

Y A H O O O O O O O O O O O ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: Finally....a Vin Is In My Future !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out-freekin-standing!!! Congrats, ShelbyTom.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if the TCS was on or not, by default when you start the car it is always on, you have to turn it off with a push of a button. Normal driving can't feel any difference... in fact not sure I have see any with or without. Guessing have not been in the right condition yet :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I finally got the beast, I picked it up on Wed and than took thursday off to break it in on mountain roads. The car looks better in person than pictures or movie clips from the internet first off. Only haveing 360 miles on it now (10.8 when picked up at dealer) it is still tight but lots of power. Not scary power but it runs very well. 50 more HP or minus 300 pounds lighter would help. Easy to get 50 more HP. So the road trip... car handles great and I pushed hard on some sharp turns that the sign said 35 and I was clipping along around 65... in fact a little to hard once the ass end started a slight kick out but no fault of the car just hammering it to much.. that scared me so I took it easy for about 20 minutes till I felt cockey again :) Shifter don't know why anyone would change it... very short shifts and feels great. Shaker 1000 will pound and if you put some heavy bass line music you can feel it in the chest. Tach is kinda of hard to see at the redline area because of the steering wheel but no big deal. Seats great, would have liked a overhead homelink system for opening the garage door but have the clip on for the visor. Rims... hard to clean and for the first X miles brakes put out allot of brake dust compare to some vehicles I have owned. Speaking of brakes are excellent. Can't really tell you more than what you have all read in magazines or other posts. Somethings would be nice to change but just me being anal... not happy about water on motor when washing it but working on that issue with an enginerr here at work. Clutch is taking some use to ... I seem to make it chatter when taking off from a dead stop. I am guessing just need more time with it Vs my 03 focus clutch. One think I really notice is heat in the interior of the car. Being hot out and having the windows down the 5.4 liter puts out some heat....and you will feel it inside. But the switch that says AC will also fix that.

So really nothing bad about the car, just a couple of things I would change but what you feel about it might be 100% different. Everyone will have a different opinion.

Instead of posting pictures on the VBpic Gallery (painfull with big pictures) I have wrote a simple website of it. You will see the pictures from start to current as I do updates I will also update my site. Monday getting glass tinted and rocker panels removed for paint :)

Later

What was the cost of the new exhuast ? it looked like ford racing product...great looking car , I'm waiting on one this mid september.... enjoy your ride......

·
Registered
15 Posts

Shelbytom-------is your dealer a SVT/PA dealer???

Or just a new certified one??????

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts

Sweet pics Busababy, Still waiting for my car but should be arriving soon. Love your info & will be getting the same exhaust. Have already ordered a nice set of 20" & some Nittos in a staggard fittment. I do not like how the car sets. What lowering kit have you seen that you would reccomend for the Shelby. Keep up the good work & the great website, I'll be watching. PC

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
busababy,

Keep us informed as to the water on engine problem and your engineer's modification. Congrats and best of luck!

Patiently awaiting my GT500 fix.

I already ordered my Steeda exhaust at a cost of $400 and car cover from Califoria Car Covers with Shelby GT500 and Snake embroidery(Dusttop cover $199.99, Shelby GT500 embroidery $28, Cobra logo $20, storage bag $5, shipping $12.99, total cost $265.98).

Purchasing some 5/50 motor oil and am wondering if the filter is same replacement # as on 5.4 in my F150?

Can't wait I want my Shelby now!

·
Registered
154 Posts
What brand 5w-50 motor oil did you buy? Having trouble finding Motorcraft.
I believe it is the same oil filter...Motorcraft FL820S I think.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats, Busababy. She's a beaut. Great recap. According to the Ford documentation, the clutch chatter is normal, but there seem to be some rumors going around about a hold on Shelby deliveries because of a clutch issue.
My clutch does the same. I damn near crapped myself when it happened. My words I believe were "What the #%$^ was that?!?!?"....lol. After driving my '06, I wasn't expecting it.

I found if you take the RPMs a little over 1500 and ease the clutch out REAL slow it doesn't do it much, if at all. But if mines not the only one doing it, I don't feel so bad.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Later

Great write up! Congrats!

How does the exhaust sound?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What brand 5w-50 motor oil did you buy? Having trouble finding Motorcraft.
I believe it is the same oil filter...Motorcraft FL820S I think.
Have not purchased it yet but Mobil synthetic is availavle in 5/50.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exhaust was around $ 370.00 or $ 380 plus shipping. The sound is outstanding. A little Drone at crusing speeds but you can't have it all. Sounds like it has 500hp now vs the old exhaust. Pep Boys has 5w-50 Syn for $5.29 a quart here in VA. Castro or Mobil is the only 2 I would use. Ford wants something like $ 13.15 a quart... yeh I am going to pay double for a bottle that says motorcraft.. NOT. I have not looked into lowering it. I lowered my last toy and it looked good but some trade offs were ride and body ground clearance. I don't see myself doing it to this car.. but a couple years down the road maybe. Today it is getting tinited so will post updated pictures tonight. The big thing for me is to get the air-intake and remap.
Than just drive for a while. Rims last thing on my list but one of the most eye grapping mods that is for sure. Hate the fact we have the tire pressure sensor mounted inside the wheel.. you will need to get that from the Ford Dealer and put on your new rims or the display message on the dash will tell you to check to tire pressure all the time :( At least that is what I was told from FORD. Anyone know 100% ?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hate the fact we have the tire pressure sensor mounted inside the wheel.. you will need to get that from the Ford Dealer and put on your new rims or the display message on the dash will tell you to check to tire pressure all the time :( At least that is what I was told from FORD. Anyone know 100% ?
You should be able to switch the sensors over to your new rims, and then go to a Ford dealer and have them "teach" the sensors. I read somewhere it's a very simple procedure, but you have to have a special tool to do the teaching.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts