Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Should I install the smoked tailight covers?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 65.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find a prior thread so I'm beginning a new one.

For $50 on americanmuscle.com I purchased these 2 smoked tailight covers. I originally bought them for my GT but that was traded away for my GT500. Fortunately, the tailight covers fit either model. See the photos below. I installed only one of them for comparative purposes (when the trunk is closed the tailight cover does not require the 3m adhesive to be in place).

I prefer the smoked tailight look - especially on the Grabber Orange color such as mine, which does not mix well with the red tailights in my opinion.

Thoughts on how it looks?
Will I be inviting the cops?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like the look, how does your lights show up with them on? Do they make these for the headlights on our cars?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
938 Posts
Aren't the GT 500 headlights different then the Mustang GT's?:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
What is the product that will be used on the Super Snake??? They look to have smoked headlights and fog lights... Will that be available as a full purchase of new headlights and fog lights or just be done with the smoke film??? Any thoughts to that???

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Since you asked.....I voted no. Looks to aftermarket to me not my cup of tea I guess. Plus I would want the brake light as bright as possible. People love to tailgate as it is these days.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My only fear would be someone rearending me. They would be fine for night time driving .....but a little hard to see in the daytime. I don't think you will have anyproblems with the cops. law says you have to have 2 working brake lights. It doesn't say how bright they have to be. Same goes for the head lights. But to cover your plate in Ohio is illegal, so is not having a front plate. That never stopped me before.

I think I am going to go with the smoked headlights but not the tail lights, unless I just use them for car shows. I had smoked head lights on my 98gt and it sucked driving at night. A lot of times I would pop them off and throw them in the trunk until I got home. Not so easy to do with this car.

JJ

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm thinking of getting smoked tail lights, but those in the picture look too dark for my taste. I'm looking for something that just takes the edge of the red.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a photo of both smoked tailights installed (actually they snap into place pretty easily without the 3m tape). I like this look!! Once again, these cost $45 or so for both and I removed the aftermarket logo on the front of the tailights. They come off easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts