Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
I tried Tim. I ended up replying to myself. No harm in saying Base but I think I have all except for recaros and price 89,000+. Time maybe you can give me tip on trying to add. Thanks for spacer info. I’m going to look anyway. Must be stiff suspension choice. I did drive in normal for first time and wow everything loosened up.
Hit your upper right avatar/account settings/ scroll down and find vehicle details. You can put your car info in there and it will then show under your screen name.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts
I tried Tim. I ended up replying to myself. No harm in saying Base but I think I have all except for recaros and price 89,000+. Time maybe you can give me tip on trying to add. Thanks for spacer info. I’m going to look anyway. Must be stiff suspension choice. I did drive in normal for first time and wow everything loosened up.
-------
Side bar to the original post...however, I plan on getting the base seats too. Wondering how the stock seats hug you / hold you in around corners? Do you flop around or do they still hug you?
The seats in my Viper bit into my upper back / lats (I am ~ 200 lbs) and I am worried the recaros would be the same?
Gotta try and find someone local with a 2020 car I can sit in for a minute...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hit your upper right avatar/account settings/ scroll down and find vehicle details. You can put your car info in there and it will then show under your screen name.
Can’t figure this out. Any additional instructions? I see photo and edit but no “vehicle details.” Thanks

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
Can’t figure this out. Any additional instructions? I see photo and edit but no “vehicle details.” Thanks
I’m on my iPad. A phone will be similar, but slightly different. I can do it from my phone with screen shots as well. Holler if you need more help.

BBB52697-FBFB-4D18-B295-773C1D7751C0.jpeg
A8CC4451-C30A-4018-BED0-BE6676A5DAA3.jpeg
AF4D86C8-9E02-41A1-9ED8-65C985F05408.jpeg

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
-------
Side bar to the original post...however, I plan on getting the base seats too. Wondering how the stock seats hug you / hold you in around corners? Do you flop around or do they still hug you?
The seats in my Viper bit into my upper back / lats (I am ~ 200 lbs) and I am worried the recaros would be the same?
. I fit this category. I have the Non-CFTP (my new statement instead of base as I’m unsure if that’s what calls the AWESOME “rocket on wheels.” The non-Recaro seats don’t lock you in and yes you do move about assuming you rock and roll this great machine. My son is a bigger fellow than me otter you and he loves the Recaro seats. For me it is more anout to my surprise firm cushioning not like my 2019 BULLITT seats that squash with a cheaper foam. I’m getting what they call a truckers seat with many air balls so to speak with a sticky bottom so to speak and a bit larger than the seat and I think any lateral movement will stop or be minimized. They do sell racing cushions for sides of seat to keep you in place and I’m thinking about buying those to on track days. If you like a normal seat and power, air and heat, get the non-CFTP version seats. But as you say, testing them your best bet but sounds like your a non-Recaro person.

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
210 Posts
-------
The base model seats are pretty darn good at keeping your ass where it's supposed to be while also being comfortable. I'm 6'4" and 238 lbs (today, f**king governor forced our gyms to close like 45 days ago) and other than drive my GT500 my second favorite thing to do is lift heavy weights repeatedly. That being said, nothing about me fits into the recaros so those were never an option for me. On top of that, I live in Arizona and air conditioned seats blowing cool air on your man parts is a must, in my opinion.

The only non-racing seats that I've sat in that were better than the ones in my GT500 in terms of comfort and keeping you in place, were my M5 BMW seats with the inflatable bolsters on either side that would inflate and deflate depending on which direction you were turning and how much g-force you were making. Those seats were truly the best of both worlds, comfort and stability.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
I have the Non-CFTP (my new statement instead of base as I’m unsure if that’s what calls the AWESOME “rocket on wheels.”
Well said! I’ve always said, there’s nothing “base” about the base model. It’s a frigg’n super car! 🤟

Regarding the seats, during heavy cornering on the track, I was still moving around in the Recaro seats. These beasts produce a lot of g’s in all directions during heavy performance driving. Recaros will be the best bet at keeping your ass planted, but if you still want to breathe and have your harness somewhat looser, you’ll will still move around.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,621 Posts
I have the up-graded leather, electric adjustable, heated /cooled seats in my 19' GT350. I thoroughly enjoy their comfort and support. The Recaro's are certainly nice and supportive, but they can be uncomfortable for long trips or daily driving. They are also a bit more difficult for entering and exiting the car, especially if you're a larger person. My seats also have a feature where the seat automatically slides backwards, aiding you in exiting the car more easily. When you re-enter the car and push the start button, the seat returns to the adjustment you originally had set when you last exited. I wish that feature had been included on my past GT500's!! I've pushed this car quite hard through some hairpins and I really have no complaints about staying in place within the seat.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
I have the up-graded leather, electric adjustable, heated /cooled seats in my 19' GT350. I thoroughly enjoy their comfort and support. The Recaro's are certainly nice and supportive, but they can be uncomfortable for long trips or daily driving. They are also a bit more difficult for entering and exiting the car, especially if you're a larger person. My seats also have a feature where the seat automatically slides backwards, aiding you in exiting the car more easily. When you re-enter the car and push the start button, the seat returns to the adjustment you originally had set when you last exited. I wish that feature had been included on my past GT500's!! I've pushed this car quite hard through some hairpins and I really have no complaints about staying in place within the seat.
Talking about past cars, the best all around seats were in the Terminators. Ford went all out for the 03-04 seats and I assume they weren’t continued simply due to cost. They were a hybrid seat between a base and Recaro... they had electrically adjustable hip and rib bolsters to lock you in tightly for spirited driving, that could be released for comfort driving.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts
The base model seats are pretty darn good at keeping your ass where it's supposed to be while also being comfortable. I'm 6'4" and 238 lbs (today, f**king governor forced our gyms to close like 45 days ago) and other than drive my GT500 my second favorite thing to do is lift heavy weights repeatedly. That being said, nothing about me fits into the recaros so those were never an option for me. On top of that, I live in Arizona and air conditioned seats blowing cool air on your man parts is a must, in my opinion.

The only non-racing seats that I've sat in that were better than the ones in my GT500 in terms of comfort and keeping you in place, were my M5 BMW seats with the inflatable bolsters on either side that would inflate and deflate depending on which direction you were turning and how much g-force you were making. Those seats were truly the best of both worlds, comfort and stability.
ok thks.
Do the cooled seats blow air sufficiently? I had an F150 and they were pretty good, hoping the GT500 is the same?

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts
Talking about past cars, the best all around seats were in the Terminators. Ford went all out for the 03-04 seats and I assume they weren’t continued simply due to cost. They were a hybrid seat between a base and Recaro... they had electrically adjustable hip and rib bolsters to lock you in tightly for spirited driving, that could be released for comfort driving.

View attachment 204113
I liked the Terminator seats. However, I took mine out into the first year and fabbed a seat bracket and found a good racing seat that I used for close to 9 years. I swapped mine for two reasons...weight savings, and I wanted to keep the stock seats pristine.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
ok thks.
Do the cooled seats blow air sufficiently? I had an F150 and they were pretty good, hoping the GT500 is the same?
I think my F350 moves a little more air through the seats than the GT500 but the other day when I got it back from the dealership they had turned the seat air off and I didn’t notice it right away, but after a few minutes my ass started getting warm and then I realized it wasn’t on. As soon as I turned it on I could almost immediately tell a difference so even though the amount of air coming out of them isn’t dramatic, it definitely does the job.

Reactions: Svtkel

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
I liked the Terminator seats. However, I took mine out into the first year and fabbed a seat bracket and found a good racing seat that I used for close to 9 years. I swapped mine for two reasons...weight savings, and I wanted to keep the stock seats pristine.
I totally get it. Fortunately TMI sells seat skins for the Terminator crowd that look factory correct. Unfortunately for the Mystichrome crowd, those seats were done with an original batch of color changing leather that cannot be recreated. There are owners today that wish they had preserved their color changing seats and steering wheels better since these are irreplaceable. I think I’m covered though... the above picture is the current condition of my 500 mile car and I also have a set of new Mystichrome seat skins and a new steering wheel as a backup should I ever need it.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts
I totally get it. Fortunately TMI sells seat skins for the Terminator crowd that look factory correct. Unfortunately for the Mystichrome crowd, those seats were done with an original batch of color changing leather that cannot be recreated. There are owners today that wish they had preserved their color changing seats and steering wheels better since these are irreplaceable. I think I’m covered though... the above picture is the current condition of my 500 mile car and I also have a set of new Mystichrome seat skins and a new steering wheel as a backup should I ever need it.
Your seats are in really good shape.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Your seats are in really good shape.
His car only has 500 miles on it. I guess that easier to do when you have a literal stable of mustangs. I’m pretty sure my GT500 had 500 miles within 72 hours of me getting it. 👍

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,658 Posts
His car only has 500 miles on it. I guess that easier to do when you have a literal stable of mustangs. I’m pretty sure my GT500 had 500 miles within 72 hours of me getting it. 👍
Yes, but if it’s any consolation, this is the third one I’ve owned. Each time I thought I was keeping the car forever and then I stumbled upon a more pristine example. The first one had 14k miles, number 2 had 4k miles and the current one has only 500 miles. I drove the 1st two. Number 3 is an unregistered garage queen.

Reactions: GT5HNDO

·
Registered
2021 GT500 TBD
51 Posts

--------
Ok I went to the dealership today to look at a GT500 (Track Pack) they had in. I was able to sit in the Recaro's and have the following general / subjective comments:

- The Car looks good in person and the wheel wells are flared more than I expected, and it is a nice look. However, I would suggest getting some kind of rock guard for the rear panels for sure.

- Related to my earlier post / query - the Recaro's were very comfortable seats, however they do bite into my lower lats. For shorter rides under an hour, they would be ok for me. However they feel pretty close to the same fit as my Viper seats, and on long trips the GT500 Recaro's will not work. For me, I will be getting the base seats.

- Suprised by the minimal caliper to wheel clearance on the front rims. I had larger rotors on the Viper and had the same concerns about a rock getting jammed in there and damaging the inner wheel. Had some minor inner rim rock scraping lines on those rims. Anyone have any pics of inner wheel rock damage / scraping on the front rims of a GT500? Or is it so tight, that there isn't much of an issue of anything except a small rock getting in there?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts