Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 Base/Handling Pack/HVAC Seats/Carbon Dash/Vinyl Stripes
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the ruling on the State collecting sales tax on the $2600 Gas Guzzler tax included with these cars?

Reactions: pughde

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Sounds wrong, but welcome to government and tax. How much do they need...? The answer is MORE!

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
Anyone know the ruling on the State collecting sales tax on the $2600 Gas Guzzler tax included with these cars?
Gooood question! I don't know the answer but am very interested in knowing. I'll be visiting the DMV in the next couple of weeks to pay the sales tax -- I'll be researching this and will circle back if I find anything. I might just call the DMV.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posed the question to my CPA today and will share what his response is.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,087 Posts
Uhhh...

Social Security is a tax and it is taxed as income when it is drawn.

Annual car registration is a tax on the value of your car which was already taxed for its value when bought.

What's new?

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
Sounds wrong, but welcome to government and tax. How much do they need...? The answer is MORE!
Right.

...the government needs lots of money so they can continue to pay me. I get paid every month from three different government sources.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
3,875 Posts
It is in California. The gas guzzler tax is listed on the window sticker as "Other." You also pay sales tax on the $1095 Destination & Delivery charge.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
I just looked at a 2021 window sticker and the Destination & Delivery charge increased a $100 to $1195, compared to the 2020 price.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
Without ever checking it out, I presume state sales tax is based on the gross cost of the car, the gas guzzler line item is treated just like all the other line items.................& on the 11 and 14, there was no gas guzzler tax..

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Use taxes (vehicle registration), fuel taxes, road tolls are not the same thing as this federal excise tax. You don't pay sales tax on your vehicle registration, nor on tolls, or on the fuel taxes tacked on at the gas pump. Social Security is deducted from your paycheck pre-income tax, so they collect that when you start to draw it, similar to a 401K and other pre-tax (income) retirement savings tools.

Had some back and forth with my CPA, but still no definitive answer. Guessing Uncle Sam and Aunt Whitmer have this figured out so they can collect tax the taxes, but its worth asking about. At least the last 5 new cars I purchased were subject to guzzler tax. Adds up.

I have turned in to Archie Bunker, more so the older I get.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
Without ever checking it out, I presume state sales tax is based on the gross cost of the car, the gas guzzler line item is treated just like all the other line items.................& on the 11 and 14, there was no gas guzzler tax..
I suspect this is how works as well, but I'm hoping for a different answer! :p :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DKnight

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
549 Posts
Use taxes (vehicle registration), fuel taxes, road tolls are not the same thing as this federal excise tax. You don't pay sales tax on your vehicle registration, nor on tolls, or on the fuel taxes tacked on at the gas pump. Social Security is deducted from your paycheck pre-income tax, so they collect that when you start to draw it, similar to a 401K and other pre-tax (income) retirement savings tools.

Had some back and forth with my CPA, but still no definitive answer. Guessing Uncle Sam and Aunt Whitmer have this figured out so they can collect tax the taxes, but its worth asking about. At least the last 5 new cars I purchased were subject to guzzler tax. Adds up.

I have turned in to Archie Bunker, more so the older I get.
Don't let the government know what they're currently not taxing cuz it will give them new ideas of things to tax.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
No gas guzzler tax on the 11-14 GT500's, but I don't know about the the 08-10 GT500's. The 07 GT500 had a $1300 gas guzzler tax, all confirmed by window stickers.

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
….. You don't pay sales tax on your vehicle registration, nor on tolls, or on the fuel taxes tacked on at the gas pump. Social Security is deducted from your paycheck pre-income tax,....
You are wrong, Social Security IS A TAX.

It is a Tax on your income that IS taken from your check... just as Federal Tax, State Tax and in some local areas a City tax.... all based on the amount of your earnings.

ALSO: From the Tax Act Code;
"...Personal Property Taxes
Personal property tax is deductible if it is a state or local tax that is:
  • Based only on the value of the personal property; and
  • Charged on a yearly basis, even if it is collected more or less than once a year.
  • A tax that meets the above requirements can be considered charged on personal property even if it is for the exercise of a privilege.
For example, a yearly tax based on value qualifies as a personal property tax even if it is called a registration fee and is for the privilege of registering motor vehicles or using them on the highways. …"

Registration TAX; It IS a TAX as it is based on the "value" of the vehicle which IS personal property.
You need to READ the Tax Codes.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
795 Posts
No gas guzzler tax on the 11-14 GT500's, but I don't know about the the 08-10 GT500's. The 07 GT500 had a $1300 gas guzzler tax, all confirmed by window stickers.
The '08's and '09's also had the $1,300 gas guzzler tax. The '10 had no gas guzzler tax.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are wrong, Social Security IS A TAX.

It is a Tax on your income that IS taken from your check... just as Federal Tax, State Tax and in some local areas a City tax.... all based on the amount of your earnings.

ALSO: From the Tax Act Code;
"...Personal Property Taxes
Personal property tax is deductible if it is a state or local tax that is:
  • Based only on the value of the personal property; and
  • Charged on a yearly basis, even if it is collected more or less than once a year.
  • A tax that meets the above requirements can be considered charged on personal property even if it is for the exercise of a privilege.
For example, a yearly tax based on value qualifies as a personal property tax even if it is called a registration fee and is for the privilege of registering motor vehicles or using them on the highways. …"

Registration TAX; It IS a TAX as it is based on the "value" of the vehicle which IS personal property.
You need to READ the Tax Codes.
Wow Ken, didn't mean to get you riled. Sorry if you're upset. I re-read my post and don't see where I said any of these were not taxes - simply questioning double tax.

I referred to them as "use taxes", "gas tax" (see the word tax) and stating that SS as a pre-income-tax deduction (that your employer has to match). It goes to a r"etirement account" in your name that you will later be able to draw from when you reach retirement age (though for how much longer we don't really know) at which time the money is subject to income tax when you draw it (upon eligible age). Your comment was that taxes are collected from SS (income tax) when you draw it...of course it is since you didn't pay income tax on it when the SS was collected (pre-income tax payroll deduction) from your pay check. It's only being taxed once. You don't get charged sales tax on your property tax bill, or on a vehicle registration. Follow? So why are they collecting sales tax on the gas guzzler tax itemized on the window sticker?

This has turned into a pissing match which wasn't the intended purpose of my OP or why I joined this forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts