Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermittent rattle - clicking sound in the passenger side while driving. Even the slightest bump makes it click. I thought it was coming from the a pillar air bag, the curtain air bag over the window and maybe the seat. It was driving me nuts because my car is rattle free other than the above described.
Today when I open my glove box, i heard that familiar click. Did some investigation and wiggled the glove box support arm and there it was. I removed it for now and went for a nice cruse with the windows closed and radio off. Nothing but that bad ass exhaust sound and the normal buzzing(drone).
I examined the arm and it clicks just by shaking it. Pic attached.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,176 Posts
I have an intermittent rattle - clicking sound in the passenger side while driving. Even the slightest bump makes it click. I thought it was coming from the a pillar air bag, the curtain air bag over the window and maybe the seat. It was driving me nuts because my car is rattle free other than the above described.
Today when I open my glove box, i heard that familiar click. Did some investigation and wiggled the glove box support arm and there it was. I removed it for now and went for a nice cruse with the windows closed and radio off. Nothing but that bad ass exhaust sound and the normal buzzing(drone).
I examined the arm and it clicks just by shaking it. Pic attached. View attachment 223084
Glad you found it! Thanks for sharing… it might help the next guy. 🍻

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for sharing this info! (y)

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts
Reminds me of a Bronco I ordered new in the 90's (great rig). It had a terrible rattle from the passenger side but only at freeway speeds.

After driving around with nearly the entire interior removed, and an extra long stethoscope secured to a yardstick, it took me months to find the rattle.

It was a piece of excess plastic, about the diameter of a quarter inside the side view mirror housing on the passenger door. The wind at freeway speed would get that flying around inside the mirror housing and being bolted to the passenger door amplified the sound. It sounded like it was inside the door the whole time.

Replaced the mirror assembly and solved it.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Reminds me of a Bronco I ordered new in the 90's (great rig). It had a terrible rattle from the passenger side but only at freeway speeds.

After driving around with nearly the entire interior removed, and an extra long stethoscope secured to a yardstick, it took me months to find the rattle.

It was a piece of excess plastic, about the diameter of a quarter inside the side view mirror housing on the passenger door. The wind at freeway speed would get that flying around inside the mirror housing and being bolted to the passenger door amplified the sound. It sounded like it was inside the door the whole time.

Replaced the mirror assembly and solved it.
Genius! That's the first I've ever heard of that technique -- great idea. Glad you hunted it down and killed it. (y)

Reactions: 2112

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,143 Posts
Genius! That's the first I've ever heard of that technique -- great idea. Glad you hunted it down and killed it. (y)
My friends and family were no longer willing to help me. They thought I had gone crazy.

The stethoscope thing was a act of desperation.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
64 Posts
I have this annoying intermittent rattle on my passenger side too! I was reaching and pushing at the door panel but I should check the glovebox. Is that part of the glove box or was that just something inside the glovebox?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have this annoying intermittent rattle on my passenger side too! I was reaching and pushing at the door panel but I should check the glovebox. Is that part of the glove box or was that just something inside the glovebox?
It’s on the right of your glove box. It’s the support arm that dampened the movement of the glove box.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 FPB Handling Package
166 Posts
I've got a passenger side rattle but mine seems to be coming from the Passenger Seat adjustment bar. Sometimes it acts up, other times it's fine. Yesterday I heard a rattle coming from the rear package tray - Stopped as soon as I put my hand on it.

Wish there were no vibrations, but if that's what we have to deal with for having 760 Bald Eagles under the hood, then so be it! :LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts